Anyone not 100% sure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cars321

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know alot of people are 100% sure that medicine is what they want to. But is there anyone who is pretty certain they want to do it but isn't a 100% sure and is kind of on the fence about doing it, but is still going forward and going to med school?

Any one nervous about it at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I know alot of people are 100% sure that medicine is what they want to. But is there anyone who is pretty certain they want to do it but isn't a 100% sure and is kind of on the fence about doing it, but is still going forward and going to med school?

Having doubts about medicine? Nervous? That's natural. I don't know anyone who is absolutely 100% sure (that I believe), and frankly, I don't think it's even possible to be completely sure of such a huge move, like pursuing a career in medicine. Heck, throughout medical school, I've doubted myself on and off. Nevertheless, I am mostly sure this is what I want to do and the deeper I get into it, the more I like it. Flow with it and move through those feelings of doubt.

However, if you have serious reservations, now is the time to address them before you get too deep into the process and get locked in. Get the help of a trusted friend and spend some time resolving any serious reservations.

I don't think I've ever felt 100% sure about anything. Too many unknowns.

I feel really good about this though. Like 98.9% sure I would venture.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm about eleventy-three percent sure this I am choosing the right path, and that works just fine for me ;)

I don't think I've ever felt 100% sure about anything. Too many unknowns.

I feel really good about this though. Like 98.9% sure I would venture.

This is the closest I feel to a hundred percent also.

How is the moving and packing coming along?

Oddly, this is the ONLY thing I've *EVER* felt 100% sure about in my entire life.

Am I sure I'll do well? No, I'd like to think so, but I'm not 100% positive. Am I sure I can handle it? Reasonably so...Do I know this is 100% what I want to do? Yup.

I'm kind of glad someone else brought this up. I've been having this feeling for quite some time now. Especially since I started working. It's so easy to tune out again. And it's weird considering how closely tangible the idea of going to medical school is now. For the past 3 years or so I've been in limbo, but then as I started getting interviews and acceptances the dream has become more real, but the reality of the situation is still completely foreign to me. Everyone tells me once I start school I'll be ok, since I'll be in a situation where everyone is going through the same thing. But right now, it's weird. I could be content doing what I do now, happy? probably not. But I could work my job and play music and hang out with my friends just fine (basically the same thing I was doing before I started my post bacc).

I think the one thing certain for me, is whatever I do, is that I do my best. That's one thing I've taken from this whole journey, as it's the only thing you can do.

I think the one thing certain for me, is whatever I do, is that I do my best. That's one thing I've taken from this whole journey, as it's the only thing you can do.

Well said. :thumbup:

Isn't that the cub scout motto or somthing?

Indeed, it is part of the Cub Scout Promise (the motto is different).

Cub Scout Promise

I, (say your name), promise
to DO MY BEST
To do my DUTY to GOD
And my Country
To HELP other people, and
To OBEY the LAW of the Pack

Im 85% sure, but Im entertaining the idea of other medical field careers too. In fact, I will be applying to an occupational therapy school (or two) this year in addition to med schools. (shrugs)

What I dislike about medicine/medical school: Stress to the umpteenth degree. A big fear is having that stress negatively impact my life and relationships and such.

What I might completely regret about not doing medicine: Working with physicians on a patient, and see them do more for the patient than I can do (since I will definitely be working in a hospital one way or another) and knowing that I had the ability and opportunity to pursue it, but failed to have the endurance.

I promise you this, if I drop the money to run around for interviews. I've brought that initial percentage WAY up. :thumbup:

To OP...Like it has been said, everyone has their doubts...doubts if you can pass classes, do well on the MCAT, get an interview, etc. In the long run, I ask myself, "Will I be happy doing this everyday?" The answer for me is yes...obviously there will be gross and not-so-fun days, but to me those days are outweighed by the work and experiences I would be doing. Good luck on your decision!

Well I had some serious doubts because originally I should be in medical now working my way through year number three. But I kept feeling like I CAN'T do this, so I convinced myself into believing it. I agree with everyone else doubts are natural, it you need take a step back and see if your feelings are true or not. Using when you have the bug for something it doesn't go away maybe hide around the corner but its usually still there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have random spazz attacks all the time. But then I tell myself how hard I've worked as a non-trad to take on a totally different field and it makes me really proud of myself :D. But then I think about some of my friends that are repeating Biochem or A&P, and I start freaking out again. So it's just a wierd, spazzy, vicious cycle for me but ultimately, in my heart, I know I am doing the right thing.

cartman would say "I'm not just sure. I'm HIV positive.":laugh:

OP, seems that most people here have doubts about their decision to pursue medicine. I myslef am no different. One of my friends helped me to cope with this feeling by reminding me of how natural it is. Of course you are going to question yourself and analyze your decision because it is a huge step in your life. Try to percieve your doubts and nervousness as a good thing, because it shows that you understand the magnitude of the decision.

i first questioned my ability to do well in mcat, but hurdle passed...
i then questioned my ability to get an interview, but I survived...
i then questioned my ability to do well in an interview, but somehow I killed it..
i then questioned my ability to get an acceptance letter, but got one...

Now, i have three questions to work toward:
my abilities as a physician knowing that I can easily kill someone.
my abilities to do well in boards to follow career path I will love and enjoy.
having a little jealousy about my enginerds friends who are already enjoying fruits of labor :(

... having a little jealousy about my enginerds friends who are already enjoying fruits of labor :(

Don't be too jealous. I've been an enginerd for 11 years and it's a living death. Life in front of a computer isn't as glamorous as it seems. I'm going to miss the income but I know I'll be much happier doing something TRULY meaningful with my life. :)

Oddly, this is the ONLY thing I've *EVER* felt 100% sure about in my entire life.

Am I sure I'll do well? No, I'd like to think so, but I'm not 100% positive. Am I sure I can handle it? Reasonably so...Do I know this is 100% what I want to do? Yup.

Thats exactly how I feel. Couldnt have said it better myself.

I think for most, decisions will never be 100%. My children's pediatrician- who is absolutely a wonderful and gifted physician with great bedside manner, and perfect with children- still wonders if she should've been a kindergarden teacher. :rolleyes:

Life- and professions- are very fluid, but I agree with the above poster to give your 100% in everything you do, even if what you do evolves over time. The good thing about being a physician is that you have so many options, options that are not as apparent now, but can be used creatively in so many venues. Once you get in the field, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I say that because I've been doing social services for the past 9 years, more "traditional" positions the first 3, afterwards in positions I never knew existed before working in the field. Make the best of your profession, if you don't like what you're doing, change it to what is going to make you happy. :luck: :luck:

I can't say I'm 100% sure this is what I want to do, but I know there's nothing else I would rather do. The only things that sort of scare/worry me now are dealing with the huge amount of studying, learning to cope with the change in lifestyle, and how well I will (or won't) do working with patients. I'm really worried I'm going to be awful at giving exams and everything that goes along with them. I am confident that I can learn what is necessary to succeed, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about just sucking in general. Plus my hands are usually cold and patients hate that. Hahaha

Oy. :scared:

I can't say I'm 100% sure this is what I want to do, but I know there's nothing else I would rather do. The only things that sort of scare/worry me now are dealing with the huge amount of studying, learning to cope with the change in lifestyle, and how well I will (or won't) do working with patients. I'm really worried I'm going to be awful at giving exams and everything that goes along with them. I am confident that I can learn what is necessary to succeed, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about just sucking in general. Plus my hands are usually cold and patients hate that. Hahaha

Oy. :scared:

Just do it.

[This message is in no way fully endorsed by Nike and/or its affiliates in the lower 48 states, Canada or Nike International. In addition, the user is the most amazing person destined for the healing arts....but we don't endorse that....because our lawyers told us to say that. Thank you and have a nice day/evening/night/whatever.]

Just do it.

[This message is in no way fully endorsed by Nike and/or its affiliates in the lower 48 states, Canada or Nike International. In addition, the user is the most amazing person destined for the healing arts....but we don't endorse that....because our lawyers told us to say that. Thank you and have a nice day/evening/night/whatever.]
Hahaha I will just do it, but that doesn't mean I'm not a bit nervous. :) I'm really excited.

Don't be too jealous. I've been an enginerd for 11 years and it's a living death. Life in front of a computer isn't as glamorous as it seems. I'm going to miss the income but I know I'll be much happier doing something TRULY meaningful with my life. :)

Ditto and then some. Unless you're working for Google, or you have abnormally high serotonin levels, engineering is a life clenched against pointlessness and misery.

I don't pretend to believe that medicine will be meaningful all the time, and there will still be the dread evil of "stockholder value" looming over our heads. But there's a fundamental, welcome difference in working for a flawed organization whose basic stated purpose is to alleviate suffering, vs. working for a flawed organization whose basic stated purpose is to get consumers and corporations to spend money on stuff.

Hahaha I will just do it, but that doesn't mean I'm not a bit nervous. :) I'm really excited.

You see, that's a healthy attitude, in my opinion. What nobody ever tells you is that it's okay to feel scared, nervous, etc., and then to take a breath and go forward anyway. There's enough room for all of that. Courage is when you are scared and when you have doubts, but you go on ahead anyway in the midst of that experience. In my opinion, you aren't facing a worthy challenge unless you have that feeling deep in the pit of your stomach at least some point in the process. Being brave doesn't mean you don't feel those feelings, or that you have to kill them; no, it just means that you don't let them control you.

Anyway, I tell you what... it's the ones that don't understand the gravity of the situation and what they are about to step into that scare me. The ones that think they know it all and who are supremely confident. When I am standing there and my patient is coding right in front of me, or having a stroke or an AMI (or whatever) and I know I have to act...you bet I'm afraid and feel the gravity of the situation, but my training kicks in and for a few precious moments I feel that I am part of something much bigger than me.

Don't worry too much about it now. Almost everyone feels awkward, unskilled, and pretty unsure at first, but you learn to trust yourself, and to carry along with that confidence, a healthy dose of suspicion and fear. If you came in knowing how to be doctor, you wouldn't need medical school.

It’s a little different for me when you see many of your friends and loved ones go through medical school. Then everyone is telling you NOT to do it. When my husband and I have long discussions about why not to go into medical school of course it puts doubts in your head. Will I end up in medicine? I haven't decided. Seeing all the disgruntled people out there (and I know more DO's than MD's which doesn't help my opinion of some of these schools and "residency" programs) and hearing their valid complaints about how the system works is disheartening (also working in the system sucks even more!!!). Students I've been close to include KCUMB, LECOM, UMDNJ, PCOM, OSUCOM, VCOM, CCOM, WVCOM to name those I've had the most feedback about. Every school will have pitfalls. There are people out there that have NO idea WHAT they are getting into. Those most bitter are right out of college (sad but true from what I've seen – goes with the grass is greener on the other side mentality when they see their friends out enjoying life at 25) yet the majority of my friends are non-traditional students and probably half say that they wouldn't do it again. About half of friends that wanted to do fellowships have opted to be generalists because they are so sick of being used and abused as well as they are tired of 7 years of hell. Schools will screw you over. Residency programs will change. You will get bitched to from doctors who had 120 hour work weeks that might have had half to memorize what you had in the way of technological advances.

I could go on and on about what I've seen and been told. I'm saddened to see what a state that medicine is in and what it has become. I'm not sure if it’s all worth it in the end (for me). I was talking to my husband about how I wish they had given options for extending medical school to more years since nothing has changed in the last say 50 years except the amount of material you have to memorize. If I could go to medical school and not have it be a burden on my family or myself (meaning insane tuition) I would go in a heartbeat. But because of what I've seen I hesitate. I'd be stupid not to.

But with all that said, I know deep down in my heart medicine is where I want to be but do I want to give up some of my "luxuries" I currently have for that? Including time with my family? I'm not sure. I've considered other paths and weighing my options carefully for what my goals are in life. And so far, nothing compares to med school so I probably will go head with my plans. But if you ever were to tell me you are ever 100% sure, then I know you have no idea what you are getting into.

I have decided that this is completely ******ed. Yes I am 100% sure. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.

Does this mean that there might not be some other career out there that I'd rather go into? How the hell could anybody know that? There is only so much time to try **** out.

I do know that I feel at home in the hospital. I like the environment, and if I hadn't gotten in anywhere, I'd be content to be a trauma tech for the next few years while I re-evaluate what I want to do.

When I'm at work at the ER, mindless as it may be, I don't feel like I'm working. It is just fun for me.

The implication of this thread, however, is that there is some deeper meaning to being 100% sure. Even if I go through med school and residency, I love being a doctor and I love waking up every day to go to work, it doesn't mean that there isn't something out there that I wouldn't like a little more.

I can't say for sure that I will love every minute of my career as a physician, but I know I won't dread it the way I would dread putting on a suit and tie and sitting my *** in an office going over TPS reports and having eight different bosses. I don't want my income to be based on how much I can pimp myself out either. Sales is a pain in my balls.

I'll bite here, I commented earlier that someone summed it up well for me but heres how I feel.
Well what ELSE would I be doing? If I were to enter the work force right after a BS degree, I might be happy with a more laid back lifestyle........for awhile, and then I would be longing for something more. For me and many others perhaps, no matter what else I could have gone into it would only be a matter of time before I regretted not giving it my all and going into medicine.

I'm about 65% sure that I will like medicine. But that is 65% more than anything else I've ever done. If I end up hating it, it will just be a job. Most people don't enjoy their jobs, you understand.

What I don't like is the implication that you can be 100% sure of anything. You can't, unless you can predict the future. I mean, I suppose you can say that in this point in time, you don't have any significant doubts and feel that your heart is leading you in a particular direction, but being 100% sure, in my mind, means to be all-seeing, which none of us are. Your state of commitment changes throughout the process and most people do sense themselves wavering from time to time. This is natural. However, if you have the heart for this path, you'll recommit. Medical school and residency are tough and it'll bring out some interesting parts of you. Honestly, I thought I was a tough person, but in reality, there still many parts of me that I haven't yet faced. There's nothing like a good challenge to bring out those parts. Medical school will test you. If it doesn't, then you aren't making the most of it.

Anyway, don't let people make you feel bad for having doubts from time to time, or for feeling scared. As long as you know that this is where your heart is leading you, I think you'll be fine. It is better to face your doubts and your fears rather than pushing them aside, or burying them, where they can come out at you unconsciously. And believe me, we all have them, whether we realize it or not.

Well I think that most are unsure about going into medical school, especially prior to matriculation. I think this is intensified by the thoughts of so much debt and being trapped into the profession to be able to pay it off. It is certainly worrisome from that angle if you find you do not like medicine. For me I am about 75% sure I want to do this... I am the kind of person that is never sure. I really would like to be independently wealthy and just play all the time... wishful thinking! I have already moved to where I will be attending med school starting this summer so the whole thing is becoming reality for me. Out of everything I have ever been exposed to this has interested me the most so like the rest of you out there I am prepared to take the plunge.

The only factor that has played a big part in my mind, that has made me a little unsure, is the impact on my kids and wife. The time that I'm going to have to commit to school is going to be great and I may miss a big part of my kids life... I may be wrong of exagerrating? Just what I've assumed.

I am 100% sure medicine is what I want to do. I still have doubts about getting into Med school and getting the grades I want like everyone else, but I know 100% that what I WANT to do is become a doctor.

You know what I'm unsure about? Working a mindless, near-minimum-wage, overnight ER job for fun, and working for an evil corporation that wants me to go to ******ed motivational meetings that suck more ass than I can count.

I'm not miserable, but if I thought I'd be doing this for the rest of my life, I would have killed myself a long time ago. I survive knowing that I am just killing time.

I am no stranger to hard work. I wouldn't have it any other way. Its the lameness of the work that I don't like. Bring on school.

You know what I'm unsure about? Working a mindless, near-minimum-wage, overnight ER job for fun, and working for an evil corporation that wants me to go to ******ed motivational meetings that suck more ass than I can count.

I'm not miserable, but if I thought I'd be doing this for the rest of my life, I would have killed myself a long time ago. I survive knowing that I am just killing time.

I am no stranger to hard work. I wouldn't have it any other way. Its the lameness of the work that I don't like. Bring on school.

You know, I once felt as you did. Every journey has it's individual challenges, joys, and hardships. Good luck with your journey. In fact, good luck to you all, Class of 2012. As Miles has been allegedly known to say, "C-sharp and B-natural."

Just do it.

HAHAHAHAAHAHA!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

well the thing im uncertain about is taking the next step.
i want more than anything to continue with my life and actually have a job I take pride in.
i really dont WANT to do another "insignificant" task as TT alluded to in his post.
There is one thing that is making me more hesitant than any other thing though--and that is my entertainment of the idea of becoming a teacher...college professor rather.
I have been really enjoying being a supplemental instructor for classes out at my local college. Professors there have even encouraged me to consider pursuing a PhD in addition to the medical degree.
I keep in mind, however, that the old Latin understanding of the word Doctor, was that of a teacher. And I feel that still fits the bill in today's common usage of the word as it is applied to the current profession.
I have also expressed much greater anticipated elation over being accepted to a medical school when compared to being accepted to a PhD program. I feel i will have many more doors open for me as a result.

...I am no stranger to hard work. I wouldn't have it any other way. Its the lameness of the work that I don't like. Bring on school.

So true though. I'm supposed to be typing a report now...
banghead.gif

well the thing im uncertain about is taking the next step.
i want more than anything to continue with my life and actually have a job I take pride in.
i really dont WANT to do another "insignificant" task as TT alluded to in his post.
There is one thing that is making me more hesitant than any other thing though--and that is my entertainment of the idea of becoming a teacher...college professor rather.
I have been really enjoying being a supplemental instructor for classes out at my local college. Professors there have even encouraged me to consider pursuing a PhD in addition to the medical degree.
I keep in mind, however, that the old Latin understanding of the word Doctor, was that of a teacher. And I feel that still fits the bill in today's common usage of the word as it is applied to the current profession.
I have also expressed much greater anticipated elation over being accepted to a medical school when compared to being accepted to a PhD program. I feel i will have many more doors open for me as a result.

I concur. Ultimately I want something that will give meaning to my life and for me to have a sense of accomplishment. And through my perilous journey, the people around me...those that I love and don't love (rare to get that word out of me, so cherish it)...will also be positively affected by my ascension. I want something that I know will make a difference in the fabric of human society and history. Thus, my experience as a patient care tech and doing all the scut work...looking at the physicians and the hospital running...wanting to do more, much more...I know I can do better than many of them. I want the power to put into effect change. We are a generation of future medical students at the cusp of a great, and possibly revolutionary, change. But as it is also, we have to remind ourselves that power does corrupt; that once we attain these powers of the healing arts...we will use them for the betterment of ourselves and all of mankind. Step-by-step...person-by-person......

Bloody hell, I inspire myself sometimes.:wow::cry: :bow::clap:

I've never wanted to do medicine for the money, feels like the antithesis of what it should be about but the debt really forces you to head in that direction initially.

Last edited:
I can't see myself studying for anything else.