Anyone not accepted their first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billiken10

I hated headgear.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an alternate at three universities for the class of 2008: Creighton Univ., Univ. of Illinois-Chicago, and Southern Illinois Univ.. It is my understanding that alternates or wait-listed applicants are rarely accepted. This being the case, I am trying to figure out what I need to do to earn an acceptance for the class of 2009. I am planning on taking a couple more biology courses at a university this summer. What else should I do? If I'm not admitted this year, am I out of luck for ever being accepted? Any suggestions or comments would help out a ton because I'm really disappointed!

John Foley
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Hi John,

don't worry. The good thing is that you have three chances of getting admitted.
I was in your shoes last year. I was on BU's alternate list and never got a call. However, that worked out well, because I didn't even have Orgo II. So I took that course at a community college and worked part time here and there. Sure, I missed a year, but it goes by fast.

Don't give up or be sad. Make sure you call the schools and find out your status. Tell them that you are still very interested. If you don't get in anywhere (which I hope is not the case) you will have a better chance next year. Let's say if you don't hear from any of the schools by June, I say re-apply. That is what I did. This way they will get your file early on and you'll have a much better chance.

Good luck and keep us posted if you hear anything.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefulgirl said:
Hi John,

don't worry. The good thing is that you have three chances of getting admitted.
I was in your shoes last year. I was on BU's alternate list and never got a call. However, that worked out well, because I didn't even have Orgo II. So I took that course at a community college and worked part time here and there. Sure, I missed a year, but it goes by fast.

Don't give up or be sad. Make sure you call the schools and find out your status. Tell them that you are still very interested. If you don't get in anywhere (which I hope is not the case) you will have a better chance next year. Let's say if you don't hear from any of the schools by June, I say re-apply. That is what I did. This way they will get your file early on and you'll have a much better chance.

Good luck and keep us posted if you hear anything.
:)

Hi...just curious...did you reapply for the Class of 2008? Did you get accepted? Did you re-take your DAT after taking Orgo II?

Thanks
Aurora

Hi,

Fortunately, I got accepted at BU this year (class of 2008). I re-applied in June of last year, just in case I didn't get off the waitlist. No I didn't re-take the DAT because my DAT scores were fine. Everything was fine with my application, besides sending my DAT scores too late. Oh yah, and not having Orgo II. (The Canadian DAT does not have an Organic Chem section.)

Hope this helps.