Anyone not have research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I decided long ago not to pursue a BS and just go for the BA in Biology because somehow I decided on my own that research was not important for a pre-dental student. I figured I'd spend time elsewhere focusing on ECs, grades, etc. Plus, the research projects that were going on did not interest me. For example, a few of my professors that had spots open were doing research in: anaerobic digestion for usable biogas, turtle shell anomalies pacific populations, elephant seal physiology off the coast of Santa Cruz. :confused:

In retrospect, as unrelated as these research projects may be to dentistry, I probably should have signed up to get some experience, stronger LOEs, and something to put in the research part of the AADSAS. Leaving a field completely blank worries me a little bit. Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) Anyone without research experience able to shed light on this?
2) What % of applicants do not have research experience?
3) How important is it to have research expereince in the eyes of admissions committees? It would be helpful if anyone could break down its importance in comparison to GPA, DAT, ECs, PS, interview, etc.

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

So I decided long ago not to pursue a BS and just go for the BA in Biology because somehow I decided on my own that research was not important for a pre-dental student. I figured I'd spend time elsewhere focusing on ECs, grades, etc. Plus, the research projects that were going on did not interest me. For example, a few of my professors that had spots open were doing research in: anaerobic digestion for usable biogas, turtle shell anomalies pacific populations, elephant seal physiology off the coast of Santa Cruz. :confused:

In retrospect, as unrelated as these research projects may be to dentistry, I probably should have signed up to get some experience, stronger LOEs, and something to put in the research part of the AADSAS. Leaving a field completely blank worries me a little bit. Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) Anyone without research experience able to shed light on this?
2) What % of applicants do not have research experience?
3) How important is it to have research expereince in the eyes of admissions committees? It would be helpful if anyone could break down its importance in comparison to GPA, DAT, ECs, PS, interview, etc.

Thanks a bunch!

Hey cmF,

I pretty much had the same situation as you. Also got a BA and didn't do research. However I still got a decent handful of interview invites so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Research does look good, but I don't think it will kill you to leave that section blank. Assuming you have a high GPA, DAT, a good PS, LORs, and do well in the interview, I think you have a good shot.

While research would not hurt, it is hardly required or even expected. I know several people who got into medical school without research where it is much more common to de research in undergrad. Many current dental students I know didn't do research. It may look good but don't worry about not having it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have "research experience" as in what typically would be classified as research. However I wrote an article for the ADEA godental website and I listed it under research because there was no where else on the application to put it. From what I have gathered lots of people apply without. I wouldn't stress about it.

Research doesn't matter (even at the so called research schools) unless you are applying for dental/PhD

Don't corner yourself into thinking that "research" only means guy in a white lab coat mixing chemicals. Research, even on a dental school app, is a very broad term and it can apply to many kinds of research.

One school in particular even said this flat out at a pre-dental event that I went to a year or two ago. They said that research experience can be anything. Think of it as just another way that you can show your ability to follow through on a big project and be committed to something long term.

My research experience had nothing to do with working in the lab. However, I did spend a lot of time on my senior thesis beginning my junior year. I researched creative writing methods and helped create a creative writing art therapy class for cancer patients. I also did a lot of research on the possible benefits of such an exercise, etc., etc. At the end of the day I wrote a huge paper. Even though I wasn't in the lab, there was a lot I could say about working with other people, doing good for the community, discovery, bringing the project to completion, whatever.