Anyone Not Like Micro Made Ridiculously Simple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zambo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard great things about this book, but once I got around to reading it I didn't like it so much. For some reason I found it hard to get through. I don't know why since virtually everyone else highly praises it.

Did anyone else feel this way?

What other book would you recommed for micro?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was a good quick read, but those tables at the end of the chapters...give me a break. You need a microscope just to be able to read them.

zambo said:
I heard great things about this book, but once I got around to reading it I didn't like it so much. For some reason I found it hard to get through. I don't know why since virtually everyone else highly praises it.

Did anyone else feel this way?

What other book would you recommed for micro?

Not a big fan of M-MRS...it was an easy read but I think a bit of content was lost in all of the creative imagery guiding the series. I like the HY Microbiology and Infectious Disease...the chapters sequentially run through the highest to lowest yield topics on step 1, the last chapter has nice "recall-esce" clinical vignettes and I especially liked the chapters on Fungi as those damn critters always kill me in practice questions. Agree with the above post that the tables following each chapter are headache inducing.... :)

I totally agree. I found it to be only moderately useful. There are a few good chapters, but I kept getting the impression that the material was being given the brush over. It is weak in areas outside bacteria. (Although I loved the virus table with drawings of each virus type.) I moved to the Levinson's Lange review series and loved it. I have gone through it 3 times now and once you are familiar with it you see how complete and well thought out it is. I should note that Warren Levinson was one of my instructors so I may be prejudiced towards his work...he is an amazing professor and a fantastic person...one of the best of my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
M-MRS has some cute pix, but it doesn't really cut it for me either. If you're looking for a different source, check out the UCSD Micro course site. It's actually really nice in terms of balancing having all the stuff you need there, some integrations, and making sure all the important stuff is highlighted for quick skimming.

I have no complaints at all that it makes my school's micro class look like crap.

UCSD Micro Site

lord_jeebus said:
You'd be surprised at how controversial this course is at UCSD...

I like it though.

http://www.ratsteachmicro.com/Micro_Managed.htm is in progress but will someday be a condensed version of the site you linked to.

Lord Jeebus, I am in your debt.

Attachments

• JesusThanks.jpg
    JesusThanks.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 155
My only complaint is that I always hated to read that book or have it lying around when non-med school people might see it. What would they think of the state of medical education if they saw me studying from a glorified comic book?

I still remember a lot of the drug therapies from the pictures in that book, but it might just be some recall bias... I'm sure I learned a lot more from basic textbooks than I did from the rediculously simple book, but there just weren't any pics in them that flash into my mind when I'm thinking of the answers to questions.

There was a big error when the publishers released the Clinical MicClinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple book. They really should have titled it "Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously HARD TO READ". The info and mnemonics w/ diagrams are good, but the text is so cramped and the font is such an eyesore that it is quite unreadable. Just look at it if you get a chance and compare it to ANY book that doesn't use a 3rd grade type font. See how much harder it is to read all that 3rd grade text that is all bunched up?

OK, so my question is... I bought the Lange Medical Microbiology & Immunology book that people rave about for the 70+ pages of Immuno, but what about the Microbiology part? Is it adequate or should I supplement with another book such as High Yield Micro or something like that?

BlondeCookie said:
OK, so my question is... I bought the Lange Medical Microbiology & Immunology book that people rave about for the 70+ pages of Immuno, but what about the Microbiology part? Is it adequate or should I supplement with another book such as High Yield Micro or something like that?

I think the Micro part is comprehensive enough on its own. I think that you don't see it recommended much because it's so long.

Best microbiology source for Step 1. Call it cutsie or whatever you may, my micro score was off the charts and I attribute it to this book. I read it twice (but only once during board prep).