Anyone not match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JETER

Super Educated, I'm Smarter than Spock
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at the 2007 MSTP match summary (Thanks Doctor&Geek), it appears that there are obviously some top-notch matches in some uber competitive areas (rads, RadONC, ortho, oto, uro, plastics, Nsurg, etc). Does anyone know of any MSTP student, past or present, who didn't match? I have heard conflicting remarks about the importance of PhD in terms of Match success, but have not personally known anyone who had to go deeper than, say, number two on their rank list.

Just curious if anyone can share.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, we had a guy a few years ago who wanted to do Derm. He was pissed off at research and just wanted to cash in on a nice lifestyle. However, he was a misanthrope and did not have a strong enough record in the clinics to be competitive, plus he insisted on applying to only the top 6 programs. After going unmatched, he scrambled into a medicine program in a western state. I imagine he is now taking long walks among the buttes, cursing the gods and wishing he had not wasted 4 years getting a PhD.

About ~4+ yr ago, we had aa mud-phud at Pitt who had to scramble. This person wanted to do Ortho, applied to 30+ programs, but did not get a single interview. He ended up scrambling into Surgery. He gave us a ton of bitter advice at our Residency Seminar. Not sure what the inside story was though...

Members don't see this ad :)
We had someone at our program. She did not really distinguish herself in research and she was a pretty unpleasant person. I guess that if you have a bad personality, you may find it difficult to match.

I know of one MSTP who did not match in ENT. She attributed her failure to low Step 1 scores (<220s). Not sure how the rest of her application looked.

What do you mean by "not match"? Do you mean people who do not get a spot in the computerized match and then have to scramble? People who scramble do "match" on Match Day technically.

First let's go over how to screw up your match:
1) Short list the match. You're a MD/PhD and you think you are hot, so you only pick a few top schools - that's how you don't match. Always pick as many schools as you can and cast a wide net.
2) Interview badly
3) Get bad Letters of Recommendations

To be honest your basic science grades and Step 1 scores probably don't matter so much in the grand scheme of things (they matter more for MD-only). Your clinical grades and letters of recommendations will matter a lot.

The PhD is not a golden ticket, don't ever forget that and you will be fine.

A lot of graduating people at my program only applied to a few places, then had short rank lists. They all matched, most at their 1st choices, but I really felt it was ballsy. Now I feel justified.

What's up with mdphd2b's story, though? 30+ programs and nothing? His grades/scores must have been dismal....

I heard about some MSTPer that did less than average on Step I and even failed Step II the first time, causing him to lose his match spot. Next year, he matches in Gas to a top 5 program.

Very wisely put.

The word on the street is that every MSTP in my class got his/her first choice this year. I have never heard of any MSTP at my school not matching (the worst story I heard was some girl 5 years ago going down to #5 on her rank list in peds).

Nonetheless, our school puts the fear of god in us about the possibility of not matching--"Think carefully and RANK EVERY PLACE you would rather go than be unmatched."

I applied to a historically less competitive specialty, and still interviewed at 10 and ranked 10. I don't really understand the point of taking unnecessary risks (ie, ranking 3 top programs or some such nonsense). Even if your first choice tells you that you are ranked to match, there is NO PENALTY to ranking 10-15 programs. Even if 3 top programs told me I was ranked to match, I would still rank 10, just in case. Why would you NOT?

it probably depends on the field.

For some fields (IM) a PhD is huge. In many competitive fields, they probably care less about your phd and more about clinical grades/step 1.

I would argue there are more people who have good clinical grades and recommendations than "top" step 1s. Step1 is still the most important part of your residency application for most residencies, unless you there is a big strike against you in your clinical years or interview (from what I understand).

Even in IM a PhD will not a get an otherwise average applicant into a top tier program. And your 3rd year clinical grades are probably the most important factor (gradewise/testwise) in your application.

In IM, the top tier programs generally like MD/PhDs so having the PhD can compensate for a not-so-great Step I. However, you definitely need very good 3rd year grades especially Honors in Medicine and Medicine Sub-I, and great clinical letters of recommendation.