anyone plagued with 16hrs, research and ec's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docolive

DOColive
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you manage your time most efficiently? I just began prepping in mid jan.

do you focus on practice questions at best?? I am left with Th-Sun for quality mcat prep, and am becoming more worried as the weeks progress.

Members don't see this ad.

i am taking 17 hr and working to support myself(live on my own and no parents here to help out).
I also just started studying. I use ek and i love it. I try to study whenever i have some time, even in the gym(i get 2 in 1 lol). You can do it, i bet that med school is much harder timewise then sudying for mcat. I do much of my studying at night because that is when i have some silence to gather my thoughts. Also a little nap here and there helps to stay refreshed. I have classes from 9-5 and get home around 6. Have a nap for an hr or 2 and then i am like a new born student for staying up at night lol
good luck

I do my studying ever night after I'm done with everything (I have a bunch of night labs this semester). I try to get the rest of my work done before dinner and work ahead on school work if possible. Then when dinner's done and I'm out of lab, I study until I go to bed.

docolive said:
how do you manage your time most efficiently? I just began prepping in mid jan.

do you focus on practice questions at best?? I am left with Th-Sun for quality mcat prep, and am becoming more worried as the weeks progress.

Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.

Members don't see this ad :)
madga02 said:
i am taking 17 hr and working to support myself(live on my own and no parents here to help out).
I also just started studying. I use ek and i love it. I try to study whenever i have some time, even in the gym(i get 2 in 1 lol). You can do it, i bet that med school is much harder timewise then sudying for mcat. I do much of my studying at night because that is when i have some silence to gather my thoughts. Also a little nap here and there helps to stay refreshed. I have classes from 9-5 and get home around 6. Have a nap for an hr or 2 and then i am like a new born student for staying up at night lol
good luck
thanks magda. Guess what?? My mom's name is Magda too. Both of my parents are from Warsaw!!! My last resort or back-up plan is Krakow or Poznan; Poznan is accredited in the U.S. anyway, best wishes to you too, and get some rest!!! :luck:

Yeah, it's a rough semester, i'm starting not to care about my performance on the MCAT anymore :(

Night time studying for me too, although I haven't touched my MCAT books for the past 4 days dues to tests and lab reports. Currently life sucks!

I'm taking 14 hours, but they are all sciences with a lab. I'm also doing research, working at our health center and volunteering. However, my job at the health center, which is only 7 hours a week has a lot of downtime where I can study. I get the bulk of my studying at night as well and any time I have inbetween classes. I too wish I had more time to study and a sense of urgency is beginning to kick in.

Here is my load for this semester:

1) Senior Research Thesis
2) 17 Hours of class including ORGO II and upper level bio
3) Kaplan MCAT course 6hrs/week in class and countless out
4) Two independent weekly volunteer projects

I think about quitting all the time. Then I think about how bad I want to be a doctor. Then I blow off all my friends, my family, and my girlfriend off and head up to the library.

Sometimes I wonder if it will be worth it all when I'm a doctor. I guess I'll never know until I get there. :cool:

It's even worse when you've already taken the MCATs once and aren't as motivated to study as much, especially with college classes and ec's. I'm only getting a max of 2-3 hours a day studying at night for the MCATs, which is much less than what I should be doing. Hopefully improvements on practice exams will soon follow. Good luck everyone!

I'm working full time in a research lab and taking the PR course. I feel like the PR gives so much homework to do outside of class that's it isn't really possible for someone in my position to be able to get it all done. I too am feeling an extreme sense of urgency. Hang in there!

docolive said:
thanks magda. Guess what?? My mom's name is Magda too. Both of my parents are from Warsaw!!! My last resort or back-up plan is Krakow or Poznan; Poznan is accredited in the U.S. anyway, best wishes to you too, and get some rest!!! :luck:

yeeaaaaaay!!! POLISh rule :horns:
I was born in Warsaw.
I was thinking about Poznan and Krakow too. They are both very good schools. But i got fascinated with osteopathic schools so that is where i will be applying(of course if i will slay the MCAT monster first :D )
good luck to you

madga02 said:
yeeaaaaaay!!! POLISh rule :horns:
I was born in Warsaw.
I was thinking about Poznan and Krakow too. They are both very good schools. But i got fascinated with osteopathic schools so that is where i will be applying(of course if i will slay the MCAT monster first :D )
good luck to you
thanks Magda! best wishes to you too.

The most important thing to remember is that everything in life is about sacrifice. Last semester I had two independent research projects in two different discaplines, outreach and public service projects, and 11hours of coursework, as well as EMT-B class. At the end of the semester, I passed my EMT-B exam, learned a lot in one research project and did enough good work in the other to start thinking about writing up the manuscript, and was successful in all of my extracurriculars. However, I earned a B- and a B+ in two of three important science classes that semester.

To me, the coursework wasn't nearly as important as the "real life" experience, so I made those sacrifices. This semester, I'll be working my ass off in my science classes to compensate, but I'm also taking fewer hours. What is important to remember is to always be introspective and observant, regarding your situation and your capabilities. Try out a multitasking strategy for one week and if it works, stick with it. If it doesn't try something soon ASAP. People are often capable of a lot more than they do, because they're 1) apathetic or 2) inefficient. Find your motivation, foremost -- then watch yourself and try to find the best ways to fit the pieces of your life together. This may mean studying for the MCAT during the downtime of a Western Blot, or simply reviewing class notes after each lecture to make sure you understand important concepts (this is important for effective studying).

In sum--- prioritize and sacrifice. Good Luck =)

DKlein said:
The most important thing to remember is that everything in life is about sacrifice. Last semester I had two independent research projects in two different discaplines, outreach and public service projects, and 11hours of coursework, as well as EMT-B class. At the end of the semester, I passed my EMT-B exam, learned a lot in one research project and did enough good work in the other to start thinking about writing up the manuscript, and was successful in all of my extracurriculars. However, I earned a B- and a B+ in two of three important science classes that semester.

To me, the coursework wasn't nearly as important as the "real life" experience, so I made those sacrifices. This semester, I'll be working my ass off in my science classes to compensate, but I'm also taking fewer hours. What is important to remember is to always be introspective and observant, regarding your situation and your capabilities. Try out a multitasking strategy for one week and if it works, stick with it. If it doesn't try something soon ASAP. People are often capable of a lot more than they do, because they're 1) apathetic or 2) inefficient. Find your motivation, foremost -- then watch yourself and try to find the best ways to fit the pieces of your life together. This may mean studying for the MCAT during the downtime of a Western Blot, or simply reviewing class notes after each lecture to make sure you understand important concepts (this is important for effective studying).

In sum--- prioritize and sacrifice. Good Luck =)
all very good points. This should inspire us all. I agree, being a senior about to graduate, I have realized that we as human beings can DO ANYTHING we put our minds to.