anyone recall a thread on teacher's college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hpinvent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i remember reading a thread on teacher's college here but am unable to find it at the moment..the topic was on the prestige of the prorgam i think..
can anyone help me out with locating the thread?
or can anyone comment on the reputation of the program?
muchas gracias

Members don't see this ad.

okay so went back and re-read the thread and wanted to ask whether these views are still held today. what do you all think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't re-read the whole thread (though there seemed to be a lot of disagreement and rumors), but one thing worth noting is that your experience at TC varies greatly by adviser.

You can end up getting more funding (or not), having a physical lab (or not), or working on current grants (or not) depending on your adviser.

thanks for your input clearcolor. if you are familiar with the program could you describe approximately what percentage of advisors may fall into the category of being able to provide more funding, physical lab and etc?
there was also some mentioning on the apa accreditation. anyone know what the current status is on that?

I did some of my MA at TC in the fall of 2005 and ended up not completing because I found it so unbelievably bad. I could not justify paying Ivy League $$ for such a shocking education. I got an undergrad in Psych from Columbia University which was brilliant and presumed TC would be of the same calibre, but the standard was embarassingly low. People definitely ride on the name affiliation with Columbia, but the standard is really bad. Another student I met a few years later got her MA from there and commented how shocked she was (as well as most of her class) at what a joke it was !! I did attend quite a few PhD classes and as the previous comments on this thread read -it depends on the lecturer/advisor - namely Elena Verdelli is wonderful and is doing fascinating research in depression (CBT and IPT). Also as previously mentioned because of the dearth of programs in the city it is very competitive to get into.

Sorry I missed the question on here before. I know someone well in that PhD program. She said that basically there are three advisors that are really active researchers, two of which have current lab space. She got her masters there and claims the MA classes are very different than the PhD classes.