anyone recommend flower and silvers mcat book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedQuest

Da Truth
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to use kaplan, examkrackers book and audio osmosis. I want to know this material down cold. I'm going to start studying for the april 2003 mcat and want to be ready. Should i also get the flower and silver mcat book or is this material plenty. Please help, i want to crush this next mcat because i did not do to well this past august. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I like the flowers and silver book. It is very readable and easy to follow...but beware there are several mistakes in the book...especially in the chemistry and organic sections. Also, I don't think their practice passages are on par with the real mcat....they're a bit easier.

flower and silvers was too easy , IMHO, and didnt reflect the true nature of the beast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used EK, which i found to be adequate. But, I also used the Flowers book, which i found myself turning towards more and more as my studying went on. In retrospect, I wish i had used that book more than i did. It is very easy to understand, it covers basically everything you're gonna need, and it is not as dry as some of the other books like Kaplan comprehensive (book should be used as a sleep aid, i can't recommend this book at all).

EK offers good prep books (especially physics). But, I found the quality of their writing to be spotty at best. Some sentences i would read and have no idea what they were trying to say. Other times, i was amazed at their analogies and how easily they cleared up confusing topics with just a few sentences on the topic.

Regarding Flowers, yes, Blitz is correct the questions are far easier than you're gonna find on the actual mcat, so don't depend on them to prep you or you'll be in for a rude surprise. There are also some errors, but not that many, and if you're studying from multi sources you'll catch them no problem.

Overall, i highly recommend Flowers and would suggest using it in tandem with another prep company, i found EK to be good, but the choice is yours

I feel it would not be worth it for anyone to spend a lot of time practicing with the Flowers and Silvers book. The reason being, it is too easy! I would do the offical AAMC material before anything else! Get the concepts down from those questions and focus on why you are making mistakes.