anyone see this book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephew

SDN Super Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
description seems a little simplistic but perhaps there is more to it.

https://www.medicalphysics.org/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/004199.14.2626793115000012831
Clinical Fundamentals for Radiation Oncology Residents
Authors: Hasan Murshed, MD
ISBN: 1-930524-28-5
Published: 2006 | 400 pp. | Softcover
Price: US $60.00
Contents
Reviews
Description
Illustrated with tables and figures
Durable, flexible cover material; 5 x 7-inch size easily fits into a lab coat pocket.

This concise, to-the-point handbook was conceived by the author when he found he needed to compile the large amount of cancer management information available when studying for his own board certification. The resulting book provides quick access to a wealth of information.

For each of the cancer sites, there is an introduction of the known risk factors; the symptoms, signs, and investigations needed for the diagnosis, and the treatment that’s indicated. Also included are radiation treatment techniques and, at the end of each chapter, there is an annotated bibliography of the relevant studies that provide a clear rationale for the recommended treatments.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got a copy. I have found it extremely useful in just the first week. Basically, each chapter is organized by site of disease, and goes through the workup, staging, and treatment. The real gold nugget of the book is that it lists and summarizes at the end of each section the major studies that are used to justify treatment, not just the references, but the actual abstracts. After showing it to my fellow residents, everyone in the department is getting a copy.
My critiques are:
1) It is concise - but you will need other stuff to study for the boards.
2) The pictures are all in black and white - occasionally not very clear to look at.
3) No chapters or tables listing radiation tolerances, which wouldn't have been very hard to add.
4) Index - there isn't one.

Overall, (and I am not a shill for the company) this book is something we haven't had in a long time, a real pocket-sized concise handbook of Radiation Oncology. I would highly reccommend it for medical students and residents. It is more up to date than baby Perez, and actually does fit in the lab coat pocket. Overall I give it :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
stephew said:
description seems a little simplistic but perhaps there is more to it.

https://www.medicalphysics.org/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/004199.14.2626793115000012831
Clinical Fundamentals for Radiation Oncology Residents
Authors: Hasan Murshed, MD
ISBN: 1-930524-28-5
Published: 2006 | 400 pp. | Softcover
Price: US $60.00
Contents
Reviews
Description
Illustrated with tables and figures
Durable, flexible cover material; 5 x 7-inch size easily fits into a lab coat pocket.

This concise, to-the-point handbook was conceived by the author when he found he needed to compile the large amount of cancer management information available when studying for his own board certification. The resulting book provides quick access to a wealth of information.

For each of the cancer sites, there is an introduction of the known risk factors; the symptoms, signs, and investigations needed for the diagnosis, and the treatment that’s indicated. Also included are radiation treatment techniques and, at the end of each chapter, there is an annotated bibliography of the relevant studies that provide a clear rationale for the recommended treatments.

Steph has given so much good advice here that I felt the need to buy this book. Man, if this isn't what I have been looking for forever. I have seriously read at least 3 different rad onc books (including Liebel--seriously) and came away still feeling like I missed something. Up until I found this book, I could not find a book that actually described treatment planning. This book, though, has it all--and it's straight to the point and short (300 pages.) I would highly recommend this book to anyone.

glad to hear it. the description sounded a little sparce but i guess its good afterall- mine wasn't so much a recommendation as a query but at least now there's some word of mouth!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this new book (Fundamentals of Radiation Oncology) as I just bought it myself. Overall, I think it's great that a book like this has finally come out! What a godsend! It's exactly what it is...a pocketbook for quick reference and a great start for junior rad onc residents and medical students.

The best thing about the book is the annotated "key paper" bibliography at the end of each section which summarizes each paper. Nice.

The 2nd best thing is the description of "standard" treatment portals for each site. Training in a program that doesn't focus on this aspect of training too much, it's great to know what "standard" fields are supposed to be without having to rummage through a heavy textbook like Perez. Having said that, it would be great if the book had more pics of the fields.

Only criticism is that I don't necessarily agree with everything in the book.

I'll be looking forward to how this book stacks up against the upcoming Mack Roach pocketbook: Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology.

I am looking forward to see how this book stacks up against the Mack Roach's book too.

Speaking of short texts on Rad Onc.... Does anyone have any ideas of a good concise overview text for a 3rd year medical student? I know a moderate amount about the field from past research experiences and time with a mentor in clinic. Now I am looking for something to read to prepare me for my away rotations at the beginning of next year. Should I read a general oncology text that covers disease sites and then aspects of surgery, chemo, and RT? Or should I jump straight to a Rad Onc only text?

Thanks.

Anyone get the Mack Roach book? I've ordered it, and have been waiting for it. Wonder what's up ...

-S

There is also a book coming out within the next year by Haffty and Wilson. It is supposed to be spiral bound, have over 40 contributors, and in PDA format as well.

Anyone get the Mack Roach book? I've ordered it, and have been waiting for it. Wonder what's up ...

-S

My co-resident ordered it directly from the publisher, and she's supposed to get it tonight, so we'll see soon.

-S

I did the same thing Thaiger's co-resident did and ordered it from Springer directly . . . should be coming in a week or so. Originally I ordered it from Amazon but they kept changing the release date.

yeah ive been having the problem with the amazon release too; but not just for this book; all sorts of stuff.

Well, my co-resident finally got the book and I took a quite look through it. General impression is that it's not bad, but definitely not a Holy Grail book for rad onc residents. Not having gone through the entire book in detail, here are my impressions:

Strengths: love the clinical pearls in the beginning of each section (divided in tumor sites), but may be obvious for senior residents. Nice concise review of key articles (but the Murshed handbook is better at summarizing each article though).

Weaknesses: not enough diagrams! I personally prefer flowcharts for recommended treatments. Entire book is written by UCSF faculty. Would be nice to have more variety. On the same note, the RT techniques that are in the book may be biased towards what they do. Having said that, any rad onc "handbook" will have this problem.

FYI...there is another handbook for rad onc residents coming out in the near future. The editor is out of Yale (not sure of the name). But they have multiple authors from different institutions. I know Joel Tepper is the co-author of the Colorectal chapter.

The Yale book is the Lynn Wilson and Bruce Haffty book that is referenced above. It will be spiral bound, apparently over 30 institutions, 40-50+ contributors, and have a PDA download. It is supposed to be out for ASTRO 2007.