Anyone starting mcphs-worcester this fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kadee06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And for current students..any thoughts about the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there in the Fall. Congrats on your acceptance, have you accepted yet?

yep.thanks..congrats to you too....i received my acceptance letter yesterday. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, congrats to you guys!! i've been accepted as well. We should start a get-to-know each other google group or sthg.. so we'll know each other further b4 school starts and we'll have to battle thru 3 years together!! oops... sorry, only 2 years and 10 months..... :D

Me too. Got accepted in December. I'm either going to look for a place with room mates or take up a room at school. We should plan something sometime, especially for anyone out of town because I am only an hour away from the school.

Me too. Got accepted in December. I'm either going to look for a place with room mates or take up a room at school. We should plan something sometime, especially for anyone out of town because I am only an hour away from the school.

me too! i'm north of boston...

are u planning to bring a car over?? i wonder how much housing is at school... or is the renting with roommates cheaper...

I think it’s a great idea to meet up if at all possible sometime just to get to know each other a little. We’ll have three years of dealing with one another so we might as well meet now. I’m in CT, about a two-hour drive to Worcester. I’m definitely going to try and live in an apartment at school, mostly b/c I think it’s a great way to meet people and b/c I think being able to go to your apartment right after class without even going outside is a nice perk. You could probably get more “bang for your buck” living at an apartment off-campus but you have to take into consideration gas, the commute, and parking. I think they send out info on housing in April. I’ll also be bringing a car because I know we have to get to some sites off-campus for certain classes. I’ve talked with a few P-1’s and they suggested that bringing a car is a good idea.

I think it’s a great idea to meet up if at all possible sometime just to get to know each other a little. We’ll have three years of dealing with one another so we might as well meet now. I’m in CT, about a two-hour drive to Worcester. I’m definitely going to try and live in an apartment at school, mostly b/c I think it’s a great way to meet people and b/c I think being able to go to your apartment right after class without even going outside is a nice perk. You could probably get more “bang for your buck” living at an apartment off-campus but you have to take into consideration gas, the commute, and parking. I think they send out info on housing in April. I’ll also be bringing a car because I know we have to get to some sites off-campus for certain classes. I’ve talked with a few P-1’s and they suggested that bringing a car is a good idea.

do they have dorms on campus? or all they have is apartment-style housing? when we went for the tour, the faculty member just showed us apartment-style housing... I think they'll be pricey!!

I might just live there 1 semester or 1 year, depending on if they let you end the contract mid-year.. then look for renting off campus with roommates when i get more comfortable...

however, i think renting out the first time around will be nice, especially if the roommates are also pharm students at mcp....

definitely up for both

btw, what do you mean by off-sites for classes? you mean they are not all taught at MCP building?

The only on-campus housing is the apartments that you saw at the interview. I think they only differ by how many rooms in each apartment. The one we all saw was probably that demo on the 9th floor, which had 6 rooms, 2 baths, tiny kitchen area, and a living area. Supposedly, they are priced “competitively” with apartments around the area but you’d probably have more of your own actual space in an apartment off-campus. I think living on-campus is best for first year students, at least for me personally. Once we get to know each other better then there is always the possibility of living off-campus. As far as I know, most students there are probably pharmacy students b/c the nursing program isn’t all that big. They try and pair you up with students in the same year although I’ve heard occasionally you might live with someone who is in another year. I spoke to a current P1 and she said all of her 5 roommates were also P1.

I’m bringing a car just to have one available but I think for certain classes you may have to meet off-campus, like in the local community maybe for that Service & Learning class, not sure though. You’d be better off talking with a current student; maybe one of them will chime in on this thread and fill us in. There may even be some talk about this in older threads if you search. Worst case scenario, students carpool, not a big deal…nothing to worry about.

I’m bringing a car just to have one available but I think for certain classes you may have to meet off-campus, like in the local community maybe for that Service & Learning class, not sure though. You’d be better off talking with a current student; maybe one of them will chime in on this thread and fill us in. There may even be some talk about this in older threads if you search. Worst case scenario, students carpool, not a big deal…nothing to worry about.

yea.. if they on-campus housing are priced as the off-campus ones.. then on-campus is definitely the way to go for me. I don't really care about my own space.... as long as i have my own bedroom.

At first, I wanted to sell my car off or just leave it in Boston, coz parking is horribly expensive.. altho I don't really know how much it is... and I probably won't be needing my car to go out much.. as we'll all become bookworms by the first week of classes.. haha...

however, now that you mention those off-campus meetings.. i'm skeptical about getting rid of my car....

o well....

hopefully an MCP Worcester-er will fill us in!

Hey guys- okay here's all the info you guys are wanting to know! I'm a P-1 right now and I definetly agree about getting together before hand, a few from myspace and sdn did and some of them are my best friends here!

Ok- so first off- with housing. The apartments are small, but nice! And its wierd, some have big rooms with small kitchens, others smaller rooms and large living areas its quite weird. The prices are decent though- I pay $600/month (for a 6 bedroom) with all utilities, cable and internet provided. most of the apartments around run for $1000/month but you have to pay for some utilities and cable and internet, etc. The apartments here with smaller rooms are more, but also nice. They are all apartment style though- and they all have full beds- which frankly is nice.

As far as your car. You may or may not need it depending on your luck. Service Learning is basically a community service class and you get assigned to a site off campus. Depending on where you are, you may need a car. However, in the spring in IPCII you get assigned to a shadowing site that is placed as close as the CVS on the corner to as far aways as 45 minutes away. (I'm about 20 minutes from campus). And they will repeat to you many many times that you are responsible for your own transportation. Currently there are two options for parking: the lot across the street it $240/sem and then another about two blocks away is $140/sem. However I think the Dean is trying to working something out at a lot a block away for $360 a year.

Ok-well Im off to study- if you guys need anything feel free and pm me, and I'll try to check the forum occasionally. Enjoy your time off while you can!! :D

Hey guys- okay here's all the info you guys are wanting to know! I'm a P-1 right now and I definetly agree about getting together before hand, a few from myspace and sdn did and some of them are my best friends here!

Ok- so first off- with housing. The apartments are small, but nice! And its wierd, some have big rooms with small kitchens, others smaller rooms and large living areas its quite weird. The prices are decent though- I pay $600/month (for a 6 bedroom) with all utilities, cable and internet provided. most of the apartments around run for $1000/month but you have to pay for some utilities and cable and internet, etc. The apartments here with smaller rooms are more, but also nice. They are all apartment style though- and they all have full beds- which frankly is nice.

As far as your car. You may or may not need it depending on your luck. Service Learning is basically a community service class and you get assigned to a site off campus. Depending on where you are, you may need a car. However, in the spring in IPCII you get assigned to a shadowing site that is placed as close as the CVS on the corner to as far aways as 45 minutes away. (I'm about 20 minutes from campus). And they will repeat to you many many times that you are responsible for your own transportation. Currently there are two options for parking: the lot across the street it $240/sem and then another about two blocks away is $140/sem. However I think the Dean is trying to working something out at a lot a block away for $360 a year.

Ok-well Im off to study- if you guys need anything feel free and pm me, and I'll try to check the forum occasionally. Enjoy your time off while you can!! :D

random question.. do they send us a to-bring list or sthg.. i wonder if the apartments are furnished with fridge and stuff.... i think they are since it's on-campus but who knows... and i wonder if we can have guests over for the weekends or holidays .... as long as our apartment-mates agree... :cool:

Great infor, thanks Astevens. Hi guys... I am from Boston and will be there too. It nice to get to know all of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just bumping the post. I was also thinking of possibly getting a room at the school. Those parking prices don't seem all that bad either so I may bring my car. I got to call the school and see what my chances are of getting a single bedroom unit too. If there is no chance then maybe an apartment off campus. Oh, and for those of you near Boston, I am near N Dartmouth, MA. We should all get together sometime.

I think when the weather gets warmer, after our finals, we can all get together and walk around worcester just to get to know the areas around the schools and stuff....

Hi everyone, I just accepted. I currently live in the Plantation Ridge apartments in Worcester (about 3.5 miles from school). They are a really good option if you are going to live off campus, when I moved in last year, they gave us 2 months free rent if we signed a 1 year lease. Below are some of the good & bad points.

Good:
• Basically brand new (we were the first ones to live in our apartment)

• Very quiet (most residents are medical residents /
students /young professionals w/ families)

• Low utilities - Just cable and electric which includes heat (my bill
has yet to exceed $110/month)

• Nice pool and small gym (2 treadmills, 2 bikes, elliptical, rowing
machine, nautilus weight system)

• 2 minutes to Shrewsbury St. (highest concentration of nice bars
and restaurants in worcester)

• Great location ( 2 minutes off 290, so it is super easy to get
anywhere), close to grocery stores, malls etc.

• Very responsive staff (though since the apartments are fairly new,
we don’t have to bug them much)

Bad:
• Can be expensive if they are not running one of their “deals”
upwards of $1500 / month for their largest 2 bedroom

• When I signed on, you needed to prove that you made a certain
amount of money each year to live here (I actually had to give
them a copy of my W2), but I definitely know there are students
here, so maybe their parents co-signed or they have a special deal
for students?

• It is very quiet (even on the weekends), so if you are not at that
stage in your life, it can be annoying.

Below is a link to the website w/ pictures and floorplans.

Also I’ve been in Worcester for almost a year and my wife went to undergrad here, so we are quite familiar with the area. Please don’t hesitate to ask me any questions.

http://www.arborpoint.com/plantation-ridge/gallery-w.html

Thanks for the info Hokie Grad...I'll most likely try and live on-campus for P1 but those apartments look really nice. I could definitely see myself in a place like that after our first year...the pool would be nice during those sticky, humid New England summers.

Hey Guys- hope all is well. They don't send you a to-bring list, but they do send you a list of what comes in the apartments. It does have a fridge and all the bedrooms have a bed, desk with chair, and a small dresser thing. Also you can have guest over four nights at a time I think. There are no rules about when or anything though.
Also- Plantation ridge offers a special price on the two bedroom apartments for students, so the price is generally the same ( I want to say $1000 to $1100, but I'm not sure). Hokie Grad.. what building are you in there? I have several friend there that may be your neighbors :)
hmmm... I am so glad its Friday!! No class tomorrow:D See you guys later

Hey Guys- hope all is well. They don't send you a to-bring list, but they do send you a list of what comes in the apartments. It does have a fridge and all the bedrooms have a bed, desk with chair, and a small dresser thing. Also you can have guest over four nights at a time I think. There are no rules about when or anything though.
Also- Plantation ridge offers a special price on the two bedroom apartments for students, so the price is generally the same ( I want to say $1000 to $1100, but I'm not sure). Hokie Grad.. what building are you in there? I have several friend there that may be your neighbors :)
hmmm... I am so glad its Friday!! No class tomorrow:D See you guys later

I'm in 505.

Hey all,

Ill be joining ya at MCP Worcester this F'07. I'm from NJ so its def a hike for me (bout 4 hours away - 10 miles from NYC). The apt housing seems pretty nice and reasonably priced so I'll prob end up on campus for at least my first year. Plus, how can you beat rolling out of bed and marching down to class?:D

Plus, how can you beat rolling out of bed and marching down to class?:D

I hear ya on that...I like to get every minute of sleep possible. Although, somewhere on these forums I read that they don't allow coffee in the classroom and I suppose I can understand why but that sucks for me. I'm a coffee junkie.

yeah- they don't enforce the no coffee thing! Thank God, cuz I definitely need it for some classes. Just make sure you don't leave food in there.
Astevens

can we bring snacks? such as a small PBJ sandwich, or granola bar? i wonder how strict they are on the no eating policy.. i mean, i guess no one's planning on bringing a 3-meal course.. but just to heal my little stomach during boring lectures.. lol

I hear ya on that...I like to get every minute of sleep possible. Although, somewhere on these forums I read that they don't allow coffee in the classroom and I suppose I can understand why but that sucks for me. I'm a coffee junkie.

I love coffee. I'm Italian-o so coffee for me is equally as important. :laugh: Although, after reading a few other past threads (dif postings) it seems as though we may not even have time for coffee. I hear Therapeutics I&II is an absolutely insane class. I can't imagine it could be worse than what I've encountered thus far, but ya never know. Time to be a complete nerd again. :cool:

I love coffee. I'm Italian-o so coffee for me is equally as important. :laugh: Although, after reading a few other past threads (dif postings) it seems as though we may not even have time for coffee. I hear Therapeutics I&II is an absolutely insane class. I can't imagine it could be worse than what I've encountered thus far, but ya never know. Time to be a complete nerd again. :cool:

I'm Italian too, must run in our blood...and I don't care how hard Therapeutics may be, there is ALWAYS some time for coffee.

hello everyone...ill be joining all of you in worcester this fall as well...im coming all the way from texas...so ever since i got in ive started stocking up on winter clothes lol! im definitely very excited though since it will be a complete change for me. i plan on living in the on campus housing as well..at least for the 1st semester until we all get to know each other well and can find roommates and stuff. it was a good idea to start a thread like this..will make things a lot easier in the fall!

hello everyone...ill be joining all of you in worcester this fall as well...im coming all the way from texas...so ever since i got in ive started stocking up on winter clothes lol! im definitely very excited though since it will be a complete change for me. i plan on living in the on campus housing as well..at least for the 1st semester until we all get to know each other well and can find roommates and stuff. it was a good idea to start a thread like this..will make things a lot easier in the fall!

Congrats and WELCOME!

hey- they allow snacks as long as they are not messy, loud (is celophan wrapped candy) or smell- so basically consider you other classmates and its fine
Astevens

Hello Amartins02! My good friend was accepted to Worcester in December and is from Utah. He is married with one child and was looking for off campus housing, someplace that is fairly nice but not too expensive. What is the best direction for him to take to find housing options close to the school or nearby towns? Thanks!

Hello Amartins02! My good friend was accepted to Worcester in December and is from Utah. He is married with one child and was looking for off campus housing, someplace that is fairly nice but not too expensive. What is the best direction for him to take to find housing options close to the school or nearby towns? Thanks!

boston.craigslist.org or ask any MCP-Worcester-er :luck:

apartments.com has some decent listings. 600 main apartments (not sure if thats their official title, but its their address) is with in walking distance, and Princeton Place (off of plantation st) is about 5 minutes away. Both are nice and decently priced. If you want more info on either of those, just pm me

apartments.com has some decent listings. 600 main apartments (not sure if thats their official title, but its their address) is with in walking distance, and Princeton Place (off of plantation st) is about 5 minutes away. Both are nice and decently priced. If you want more info on either of those, just pm me

approx how much are either apartments?? i think a lot of people want to know, so I decided against PMing you :p if you can give us more info on those that'll be great!

600 main is $1000 for a two bedroom and I think Princeton place is $1100. I'm not sure about one bedrooms, but most that I've heard of are at least 800.

HI, I applied kinda late to the school and it took a while for all my stuff to get in. I was wondering if any of u guys had to go through an interview and what kinda of questions did they ask?

HI, I applied kinda late to the school and it took a while for all my stuff to get in. I was wondering if any of u guys had to go through an interview and what kinda of questions did they ask?

we have a few threads on that, and we have one thread especially on worcester. do a search and you'll find out

yea thanks, took a while to find but was well worth it.

Hey guys, what's goin on? Greatdeals225, I saw your thread about working retail or hospital as a tech. I've done the retail gig as well but never hospital. I worked at CVS for a couple years and it was a good experience but at the same time I'm wondering if I should get a job at another retail location. First off, I'm not a huge fan of the people at my hometown store. Second, I think it's good to get experience with other stores because I'll then have a better idea of stores I'd be interested working at after graduation, assuming I choose to do retail. Besides, CVS gives you an extra $1/hr for every yr as an intern and personally I could live without that fortune. I also don't want the $5,000 they offer per yr b/c I don't want to be held to working only for them. I'm in a fairly big town so we have every pharmacy you can think of within close proximity.

What stores or settings have any of you worked at and how was your experience??? Also, I'm kind of curious on everybody's age. Not that it really matters but I saw this question in the UNC thread and was just wondering...I'm 23 by the way.

Hey guys, what's goin on? Greatdeals225, I saw your thread about working retail or hospital as a tech. I've done the retail gig as well but never hospital. I worked at CVS for a couple years and it was a good experience but at the same time I'm wondering if I should get a job at another retail location. First off, I'm not a huge fan of the people at my hometown store. Second, I think it's good to get experience with other stores because I'll then have a better idea of stores I'd be interested working at after graduation, assuming I choose to do retail. Besides, CVS gives you an extra $1/hr for every yr as an intern and personally I could live without that fortune. I also don't want the $5,000 they offer per yr b/c I don't want to be held to working only for them. I'm in a fairly big town so we have every pharmacy you can think of within close proximity.

What stores or settings have any of you worked at and how was your experience??? Also, I'm kind of curious on everybody's age. Not that it really matters but I saw this question in the UNC thread and was just wondering...I'm 23 by the way.

I'm turning 23 next week (thus my sn greatdeals225) lol

I work for Brooks and have only been working for Brooks. It's been almost 2.5 years now. I think it all depends in what town you work. I have heard good and bad stories about Brooks customers, and Brooks management as well in other districts. I guess every company has their flaws. Personally, I like my district, the pharmacists and upper management are ok, altho I can't really compare since I don't know others. But i have a friend who's pharmacist at walgreens and says that they are not that great with pharmacists. I also have pharmacists at BRooks that used to be CVS pharmacists and told me to never step foot there.

Brooks will soon be merging with Rite Aid, so there's gonna be some change in how they used to work our system.... but I don't know if I'll be able to stay at Brooks once i get into MCP. I am not going to drive home to Boston every weekend to work.... so I'm considering changing into a different technician setting.. altho there are few retail places next to MCP.

I'm turning 23 next week (thus my sn greatdeals225) lol

Well, happy birthday in advance...

I've heard some things about Walgreen's too and like I said, I'm not in love w/CVS, although I don't hate it. I suppose no pharmacy is perfect and never will be...I was leaning towards going down to Walgreen's one day (we have 3 in my hometown) and seeing if they could use the help. Once you're actually into a professional program these pharmacies normally jump at the chance to have you work there b/c they want you after you graduate. I figure Walgreen's and CVS seem to be buying out everyone so it would be nice to have experience at both stores. I need to get an intern license and I'm not sure if I have to wait until school actually starts or what, I guess I'll have to contact my state board.

Anyways, in an old thread a current student mentioned that, "There are a lot of pharmacies in a several-mile radius around school--mostly CVS, but at least 2 Walgreen's, a Pharmacare, several independents, and most of the big grocery chains have a pharmacy, plus Target."

So there should be enough opportunity to find work for a few hrs a week if that's what you're looking for. I'm sure we'll figure it all out one step at a time when school starts in the fall.

Hey- I work for Walgreens. I've worked for them for several years and I love the company as a whole, but my store here is not the best. It really all depends on the management of your store I think. Just a heads up, I think they are opening between 3 and 7 new stores in this area before the end of the year so if you are wanting to work for them they will probably be hiring :)
astevens

Hello everyone!!!!

I was just accepted to MCP worcester and plan on attending next fall and was wondering a little about housing as well. How is the public transportation in Worcester. I have seen quite a few people commenting on Plantation Ridge, or other apartments that are a few miles away from campus. Is there a bus system that can take you near campus? Also are there any good areas I would really want to live, or bad areas you can tell me to stay away from?

Campus housing is out because my BF is moving out here with me and we have a dog. We are moving out from boston because it's a lot cheaper to live in worcester, but several days a week he will need my car to commute back to boston so I will need to get to class somehow :) So any help is greatly appreciated.

I wonder if we can apply for our intern license, now that we have been accepted to MCP-Worcester... or do we have to wait until we start school.. i'm so eager to start those intern hours and get them out of the way..

Every state is different...I recently contacted my state board but haven't heard back. I feel like this is going to be one of those things where I'm gonna have to annoy the hell out of them to actually get an answer. Hours probably won't count til after school starts but even if we could just get the title of "intern" in order to make more money I'd be happy.

Also, to any current MCP students...what did you find as the most challenging class your first semester? Whether it was b/c of the actual material, lecture hours, professor, etc...just wondering. The more we hear from all of you the better prepared we'll probably be to make sure first semester isn't a slap in the face.

Hey- on your intern license- you have to wait until the third week of class (after the drop deadline) to apply. Kinda weird, but the school won't sign it until then.
Everyone has their own opinion on the hardest class, for me it was patho and therapeutics (but they fired the therapeutics prof so that will be a lot better for you guys) and my friend thought patho was his easiest class and pharmacy law was his toughest. If your a biology person it shouldn't be too bad first semester, but if you aren't good at learning lots of biological pathways quickly then I would brush up on patho. My main suggestion is get some pharmacy experience if you don't have any, because that will make IPC and pharmacy law a lot easier!
Anna

Hi Astevens,
What about pharmaceutics/PK, biochemistry, and healthcare class? are they tough, easy, escpecially PK? Thanks

Hey- on your intern license- you have to wait until the third week of class (after the drop deadline) to apply. Kinda weird, but the school won't sign it until then.
Everyone has their own opinion on the hardest class, for me it was patho and therapeutics (but they fired the therapeutics prof so that will be a lot better for you guys) and my friend thought patho was his easiest class and pharmacy law was his toughest. If your a biology person it shouldn't be too bad first semester, but if you aren't good at learning lots of biological pathways quickly then I would brush up on patho. My main suggestion is get some pharmacy experience if you don't have any, because that will make IPC and pharmacy law a lot easier!
Anna

do you mean the krebs cycle and polarization/depolarization ?? anything else i've missed?

Anna

also, on the intern license, you get the application form at the registrars right?

1)yes you get your intern license from the registrar.

2) no I don't mean the krebs cycle and polarization, I mean biological processes of inflamation, receptor physiology, Neural Diseases, brain stucture and disorders, Endocrine system, etc. Its not that hard, just hard to learn completely and quickly.

3) Pharmaceutics was my hardest class, but I don't know what it will be like for you guys since you will have a completely different prof. You don't PK until mid spring semester (we just started last week so I'm not sure how that will be), I wouldn't worry about catching up on Biochem he taylors the class to pharmacy and cuts out a lot! I thought healthcare was easy, but some people have problems with- its more of a comprehension rather than memorization thing so some people have issues.

Are any of you in Worcester? It would be a lot easier to explain in person and you could take a look at my notes if you want. I'll also be in NYC next week.
It just seems impossible to try and explain everything in writing.

Anyway, hope this helps and enjoy your time before you start!
astevens

Hey astevens, as always, thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it. The one thing I didn’t get to do at my interview was to talk to current students. A couple students said hi and sort of reminisced about when they had their interviews but not much other than that. Of course I didn’t expect them to waste their time talking to a potential incoming student, especially seeing as how I interviewed in December, right before finals.

Anyways, if a bunch of us end up planning a trip to Worcester when it gets a bit warmer, like some have already mentioned, then I think it would be great to actually meet up with you. Maybe some weekend or whenever you have a little free time b/c I know you probably don’t have much. I personally would love to talk about some classes and things to expect as a new student. On top of that I’d love to see your actual apartment if you and your roommates wouldn’t mind. I saw the 9th floor demo but I’d like to see how it actually looks while being lived in, if that's cool with all of you.