Anyone taken a Critical Thinking class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is one offered through the philosophy dept. where you basically dissect arguments in class. Just curious if anyone has taken a similar class and what you thought about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Y_Marker said:
There is one offered through the philosophy dept. where you basically dissect arguments in class. Just curious if anyone has taken a similar class and what you thought about it.
I did, and I really enjoyed that class (this was years ago when I was UG, but I remember that course a lot more than many others). Knowing how a fallacious argument is structured comes in handy. The part where we learned how to lie with statistics was also great. :laugh:

Non-TradTulsa said:
I did, and I really enjoyed that class (this was years ago when I was UG, but I remember that course a lot more than many others). Knowing how a fallacious argument is structured comes in handy. The part where we learned how to lie with statistics was also great. :laugh:

Do you think the class helped with the verbal portion of the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
This class was required at my school, and I found it a bit trite, and below the level of most reasonably intelligent people. (Learning to recognize an ad hominum attack just doesn't take a lot of practice.)

I found Logic to be much more fun.

I took it the class it seemed like it would be interesting but it was actually boring as could be and i found it to be a waste of time

I agree with flopotomist, also, if you have the opportunity to take symbolic logic and you like algebra, do it. I loved it.

Flopotomist said:
This class was required at my school, and I found it a bit trite, and below the level of most reasonably intelligent people. (Learning to recognize an ad hominum attack just doesn't take a lot of practice.)

I found Logic to be much more fun.
At my undergrad school, the class entitled "Critical Thinking" was actually all symbolic logic. I recommend it, too.

Y_Marker said:
Do you think the class helped with the verbal portion of the MCAT?
Ummm... I took it in 1980, so probably not <g>. I would guess that a literature course would help you as much as anything on MCAT verbal. I think I'm like a lot of MCAT takers... nearly all of my training has been technical or scientific - my Master's degree is actually in taxation and tax involves very precise critical (albeit *technical*) reading skills. It's the "soft" social science or humanities-type passages on MCAT verbal that invariably left me scratching my head. A broader liberal-arts education might have been handier for MCAT verbal than the focused professional education I had. Flop, I didn't know you could take "Critical Thinking" as a separate course! Mine was "Logic and Critical Thinking" - we did the argument dissection as well as symbolic logic. Kept me busy...