• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Anyone taken a Critical Thinking class?

Non-TradTulsa

Senior Member - Resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2005
Oklahoma
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Y_Marker said:
    There is one offered through the philosophy dept. where you basically dissect arguments in class. Just curious if anyone has taken a similar class and what you thought about it.
    I did, and I really enjoyed that class (this was years ago when I was UG, but I remember that course a lot more than many others). Knowing how a fallacious argument is structured comes in handy. The part where we learned how to lie with statistics was also great. :laugh:

Twitch

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 17, 2004
    1. Medical Student
      Non-TradTulsa said:
      I did, and I really enjoyed that class (this was years ago when I was UG, but I remember that course a lot more than many others). Knowing how a fallacious argument is structured comes in handy. The part where we learned how to lie with statistics was also great. :laugh:

Do you think the class helped with the verbal portion of the MCAT?

About the Ads

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      May 22, 2005
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        This class was required at my school, and I found it a bit trite, and below the level of most reasonably intelligent people. (Learning to recognize an ad hominum attack just doesn't take a lot of practice.)

I found Logic to be much more fun.

NapeSpikes

Believe, hon.
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 27, 2004
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Flopotomist said:
          This class was required at my school, and I found it a bit trite, and below the level of most reasonably intelligent people. (Learning to recognize an ad hominum attack just doesn't take a lot of practice.)

I found Logic to be much more fun.
          At my undergrad school, the class entitled "Critical Thinking" was actually all symbolic logic. I recommend it, too.

Non-TradTulsa

Senior Member - Resident
          10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Apr 17, 2005
          Oklahoma
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Y_Marker said:
            Do you think the class helped with the verbal portion of the MCAT?
            Ummm... I took it in 1980, so probably not <g>. I would guess that a literature course would help you as much as anything on MCAT verbal. I think I'm like a lot of MCAT takers... nearly all of my training has been technical or scientific - my Master's degree is actually in taxation and tax involves very precise critical (albeit *technical*) reading skills. It's the "soft" social science or humanities-type passages on MCAT verbal that invariably left me scratching my head. A broader liberal-arts education might have been handier for MCAT verbal than the focused professional education I had. Flop, I didn't know you could take "Critical Thinking" as a separate course! Mine was "Logic and Critical Thinking" - we did the argument dissection as well as symbolic logic. Kept me busy...

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.