Anyone taken a Critical Thinking class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
2

Members don't see this ad.
There is one offered through the philosophy dept. where you basically dissect arguments in class. Just curious if anyone has taken a similar class and what you thought about it.
 

Non-TradTulsa

Senior Member - Resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2005
Messages
1,465
Reaction score
9
Y_Marker said:
There is one offered through the philosophy dept. where you basically dissect arguments in class. Just curious if anyone has taken a similar class and what you thought about it.
I did, and I really enjoyed that class (this was years ago when I was UG, but I remember that course a lot more than many others). Knowing how a fallacious argument is structured comes in handy. The part where we learned how to lie with statistics was also great. :laugh:
 

Twitch

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
2
Non-TradTulsa said:
I did, and I really enjoyed that class (this was years ago when I was UG, but I remember that course a lot more than many others). Knowing how a fallacious argument is structured comes in handy. The part where we learned how to lie with statistics was also great. :laugh:

Do you think the class helped with the verbal portion of the MCAT?
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
3,216
Reaction score
17
This class was required at my school, and I found it a bit trite, and below the level of most reasonably intelligent people. (Learning to recognize an ad hominum attack just doesn't take a lot of practice.)

I found Logic to be much more fun.
 

jackets5

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
12
I took it the class it seemed like it would be interesting but it was actually boring as could be and i found it to be a waste of time
 

Scoot

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
I agree with flopotomist, also, if you have the opportunity to take symbolic logic and you like algebra, do it. I loved it.
 

NapeSpikes

Believe, hon.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
1,651
Reaction score
0
Flopotomist said:
This class was required at my school, and I found it a bit trite, and below the level of most reasonably intelligent people. (Learning to recognize an ad hominum attack just doesn't take a lot of practice.)

I found Logic to be much more fun.
At my undergrad school, the class entitled "Critical Thinking" was actually all symbolic logic. I recommend it, too.
 

Non-TradTulsa

Senior Member - Resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2005
Messages
1,465
Reaction score
9
Y_Marker said:
Do you think the class helped with the verbal portion of the MCAT?
Ummm... I took it in 1980, so probably not <g>. I would guess that a literature course would help you as much as anything on MCAT verbal. I think I'm like a lot of MCAT takers... nearly all of my training has been technical or scientific - my Master's degree is actually in taxation and tax involves very precise critical (albeit *technical*) reading skills. It's the "soft" social science or humanities-type passages on MCAT verbal that invariably left me scratching my head. A broader liberal-arts education might have been handier for MCAT verbal than the focused professional education I had. Flop, I didn't know you could take "Critical Thinking" as a separate course! Mine was "Logic and Critical Thinking" - we did the argument dissection as well as symbolic logic. Kept me busy...
 
Top