Anyone taken an online calculus class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD to be 1 day

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone can give feedback on an online calculus class they've taken? Where did you take it? How did you like it? What math classes have you had prior? How did you do? I know some calc classes have the synchronous meeting time where you meet all together online on certain days and others you just turn in your work online after watching recorded classes...which did you take?

I just need calc as a pre-req for physics and the postbac program allows the online class and I understand med schools don't (no prob for me as I'm not planning on applying to med schools needing calc). It will be an online calc class this summer (that I will be taking alongside summer gen chem 1 & 2 thus can't really take an in-classroom calc class). I'll be studying tons of pre-calc and trig (as I only took up to alg 2 in HS) until the summer time! Any advice on online calc classes or insight on where to do the online class? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

First, you don't have to take calc-based physics for med school. (Acceleration is constant in medicine, apparently.)

Second, if you go ahead with taking calc, imho the most critical factor in getting a good grade is working a boatload of problems. If you happen to get a terrific lecturer, you still have to sweat through understanding the problems, and you don't get much leverage on that in lecture. My concern with online coursework is whether you're able to submit at least some problems where your work is critiqued, not just whether you got the final answer correct.

Same is true with physics, btw, although physics lectures are a magnitude more interesting. There's actually stuff in them, not just numbers.

Best of luck to you.

hey there,

actually, last summer i took an online calc class through SFSU. even though there wasn't a set time everyone had to be online together, it was really intense and i was on the forum site throughout most of the workday and while i was home. but i must say, i learned so much. i took AP calc in high school and i know i didn't understand it nearly as well as when professor goetz taught it through his online course at SFSU. i got an A, but it was a lot of work. the notes he posts are great. the lectures are in video form for download and are very clear. the forum is CONSTANTLY active, in part by students, a few T.A.'s, and also by professor goetz. the professor answers any question you may have really quickly. once i shot him an email pretty late at night and he responded within 15 minutes. also, the section of online calc i took was geared towards pre-medical professionals.

here's the website, if you're interested: http://calculus.sfsu.edu/

you can pm me if you want more info on my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there,

actually, last summer i took an online calc class through SFSU. even though there wasn't a set time everyone had to be online together, it was really intense and i was on the forum site throughout most of the workday and while i was home. but i must say, i learned so much. i took AP calc in high school and i know i didn't understand it nearly as well as when professor goetz taught it through his online course at SFSU. i got an A, but it was a lot of work. the notes he posts are great. the lectures are in video form for download and are very clear. the forum is CONSTANTLY active, in part by students, a few T.A.'s, and also by professor goetz. the professor answers any question you may have really quickly. once i shot him an email pretty late at night and he responded within 15 minutes. also, the section of online calc i took was geared towards pre-medical professionals.

here's the website, if you're interested: http://calculus.sfsu.edu/

you can pm me if you want more info on my experience.

forgot to mention, the professor actually wrote me a letter of rec when i applied to postbaccs. he's really a great guy and takes a sincere interest in your career.

yes, learned absolutely nothing, and got a B