QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Any and all of the above. It's open-ended on purpose. Though I was specifically thinking about logistical things like financials and insurance.Your question is open ended - did you want to chat about financials? Health insurance? Psychological issues? Awkwardness of being retired when your peers aren't? Giving notice to the boss? What?
I agree with you completely regarding cost control, @LADoc00. Fortunately, I've never had an issue with conspicuous consumption. Because of my good "defense," I'll still be able to afford to retire at age 45 even though I didn't start making an attending salary until age 39. 🙂
Sure there is. You just have to have a high enough savings rate and a low enough COL. Never mind "The Millionaire Mind"; are you familiar with the MMM blog? He takes things to a bit more of an extreme than most people would be able/willing to do, but it gives you a sense of what's possible if you're really serious about cutting expenses and retiring early. I spend quite a bit more money per year than he does (more like $30,000/yr and I don't have any dependents). However, my attending salary is also significantly higher than his salary was when he was still working, so I can still maintain a higher absolute savings rate than he did even with all of my "frivolous" spending. [If you're interested, MMM supports a family of three (himself, his wife, and one child) on ~$24,000/yr.]If you are retiring after 6 years of actually working, then there is much more to story here like a massive inheritance. Good for you.
There is no job you can retire from after 6 years save from a start up company that goes public.
Life doesn't have to be that way dude. Like QQ mentioned, early retirement types save considerable amounts of money, then live off of either the interest or sustainable income streams that are derived from that saved money (such as properties). If you are a physician that makes 300k a year in, say, Texas, that equates to $217,987 after taxes, assuming no deductions aside from the two standard ones. Spend $27,987 of that a year, and you've got $190,000 left to invest. The first thing you do is pay down your home- get something reasonably priced, and you can knock it out in 1-2 years. After that, just bank it all. At a relatively conservative rate of interest (7%), you would have $1,454,233.39 in 6 years. At a steady withdrawal rate (4%) that money will allow you to live on $58,169.33 a year that will automatically adjust for inflation, assuming your relatively conservative portfolio continues to adjust itself for inflation. Better still, this money will be considered capital gains, so you will only pay 15% tax on it.If you are retiring after 6 years of actually working, then there is much more to story here like a massive inheritance. Good for you.
There is no job you can retire from after 6 years save from a start up company that goes public.
Inherited money is awesome although I would strongly question the wisdom of pursuing medicine/research (you appear to be an MD/PhD?) if your clinical lifetime experience will be a mere 6 years. But I don't know your whole story so whatever. Perhaps this inheritance was unexpected, which is all the better.
I love the concept of inherited wealth which works for you into perpetuity, something like rental income or dividends etc. It frees you up to really explore, which I miss as Im basically a "grinder". Being a grinder takes a toll on your soul though, you become bitter and cynical over the years...would have been much better with 8 figures in the bank for me.
Good luck.
If you are pulling down 300 and are able live off 27K then you have reached a zen like state even Tibetan monks would be astonished at.
Do I think its possible? Yes. Do I think anyone on this website has the discipline to do that?. No....but the fantasy is grand.
why not just work super part time then? cut back to 1/2 time and spend 2 weeks a month chillin.
That was how I did it. Expenses $30K, income 6+ figures.If you are pulling down 300 and are able live off 27K then you have reached a zen like state even Tibetan monks would be astonished at.
Do I think its possible? Yes. Do I think anyone on this website has the discipline to do that?. No....but the fantasy is grand.
He's a nontrad and already financially independent beyond what most of us will ever dream of achieving. I don't think we have to worry about him being a serial killer because of his "asceticism". 🙂Sazerac,
Come back here and report once you are out of med school/residency for awhile.
I assume once you are working for a few years, expenses will come up to far exceed your 30K. Unless you are planning to go life long hermit, no wife/GF, no kids, no house etc.
Just don't become a serial killer on this pursuit.
Well, I have 10 yr level term life insurance for 250K (the lowest that qualified for multi policy discount, don't necessarily need it but this way my husband can pay off the mortgage and live off insurance alone for more than enough time to grieve-he can easily support himself on his own income when he works and there are no kids) and 6K/month disability insurance with a 90 day wait (I have more than 6 mths of expenses easily accessible so I don't mind the longer wait which drops the price, and 6K is enough to cover all truly necessary expenses-not so much the luxuries or frequent travel- and still put some away for retirement even if my husband doesn't work at all, which I can't really see happening since I wouldn't want to be kept alive if I am not able to do self care). Then I have a dumb accidental death and dismemberment policy that I only got because for the $26 yearly premium I get a discount on the other premiums that is a lot more than that (not sure how that works). The disability is own occupation, specialty specific. Even with my history described previously in this thread my total premium for all three policies is about $800 a year. For that money I won't be as quick to cancel once I have about enough to retire but am still working (although I will eventually get rid of them).I don't know how you guys are doing this. I've got about $5500 a year in disability insurance, about $1500 a year in life insurance, etc. I'm not sure how one can live on such a low amount and still have adequate insurance. But, I guess if you can achieve financial independence in 6 years, maybe you're willing to forgo disability insurance.
No, I have disability insurance (both own-occupation individual disability that would pay $5000/mo costing me ~$330/mo, and group disability as a benefit from the university that employs me). I would like to stop paying for it though. Even at my rate I feel like it's exorbitant. Maybe yours is protecting a lot higher of an income than mine is?I don't know how you guys are doing this. I've got about $5500 a year in disability insurance, about $1500 a year in life insurance, etc. I'm not sure how one can live on such a low amount and still have adequate insurance. But, I guess if you can achieve financial independence in 6 years, maybe you're willing to forgo disability insurance.
Kids throw things off because not only do you spend money on them now but you are also probably trying to save money for their schooling later (although your retirement planning should take priority I think). Can a family of 4 live on 50k per year? Absolutely, that is double the poverty level (which is based on gross income i think). Actually one of my fellow residents had a family that size and were doing ok on just his resident salary (maybe family was helping out though). Wouldn't be a nice lifestyle everywhere but doable (unless you have a lot of debt). You have to balance lifestyle now with lifestyle later and decide where your priorities lie. It isn't always that easy to do but it is that simple. Taking a look at expenses and making sure things are justified based on your priorities is key. It may be that you value your current level of spending enough that you are willing to delay financial independence or perhaps you want to look into ways to increase income (perhaps your wife can find a way to earn money even if she still wants to be a stay at home mom, perhaps you can find addl work to do or get a higher paying job). Just don't decide not to do anything. Have a plan that respects your needs and wants.My policy is about $10000 per month benefit, own occupation, etc....I guess my point is that I'm not sure how the average physician is going to be able to live off $30-$50k per year and sock the rest into savings while building towards retirement. With two kids and a wife who doesn't work outside of the home, I find that my monthly expenses are a bit higher. I don't think I live all that extravagantly - $200k house, one car paid off, one car with an $8k loan. Maybe the vacations are my big expense (1-2 weeks on a florida beach during winter/spring and 1 week on a lake in the summer). But, it's going to be hard to cut those back...
Anyway, I appreciate everyone's advice. I will need to look more closely at to what my actual savings rate is.
Logistically, try to make your money as automated as possible so that you don't have to think about it. Ideally, you'll have a checking account that just kind of refills itself every couple of weeks or month and you'll not give it much thought. Kind of like having a job.
The oft-repeated advice in here to follow White Coat Investor and boggle heads is legitimate. Go find yourself a Vanguard fund that meets your investment goals over the course of your lifetime (I suggest looking at their Target Retirement series of funds). You choose Vanguard not because they rise faster than anybody else. They all on average will rise at the rate of the stock market. Rather you choose Vanguard because they fall the slowest, because they have the lowest fees. Control what you can. Reinvest the dividends and interest from this fund. Put 95% of your liquid net worth in here.
You might try keeping track of what you and your wife are spending your money on for a few months. Seriously, write down every dollar you spend and what you spend it on for the next 2-3 months. When I did this, it was pretty eye-opening. And again, I strongly recommend reading the MMM blog (linked in post #10). Not that everything he recommends to save money is necessarily going to be something you want to adopt, but again, it does make you re-evaluate whether you are really spending your time and money the way you want to be. In particular, I think his advice to live close to your job is hugely helpful in minimizing work stress/unhappiness (not to mention expenses) due to long commutes.My policy is about $10000 per month benefit, own occupation, etc....I guess my point is that I'm not sure how the average physician is going to be able to live off $30-$50k per year and sock the rest into savings while building towards retirement. With two kids and a wife who doesn't work outside of the home, I find that my monthly expenses are a bit higher. I don't think I live all that extravagantly - $200k house, one car paid off, one car with an $8k loan. Maybe the vacations are my big expense (1-2 weeks on a florida beach during winter/spring and 1 week on a lake in the summer). But, it's going to be hard to cut those back...
Anyway, I appreciate everyone's advice. I will need to look more closely at to what my actual savings rate is.
Well, I already mentioned the Vanguard Target Retirement funds. In particular, I threw all my liquid assets into VTTHX. It's target retirement is 2030 or 2035, I forget.Where do you recommend keeping the 95%? Can you give some examples of mutual funds that can keep you earning (and drawing) 4% annually?
I wouldn't pay that much for disability insurance. How are you guys finding such expensive policies (or is it just that you don't have a long enough waiting period or are covering really high income)? I am comfortable with the coverage i have at the price i am paying. I had to have a rotator cuff repair last year and could not operate at all for a few months, then for a few months could only operate because i had residents to do most of the work. I was a salaried employee at the time and managed to use my sick days and show up enough that i just got paid the whole time, but if i was doing my current job i would have had to take probably 6 months of no call if not more (the bulk of my income is from call) and then work around my 2-3 days a week of pt i was doing for months afterward. That was easily a situation that my insurance should have covered.I think disability insurance is a scam. My premium is crazy high as well (close to 5-6k/year) and Im thinking of dumping the turd. That represents over $320,000 in lost capital and interest at 8% annual return.
All you "live by the absolute minimal seat of your pants" types cant possibly be buying that crap, are you?
Who have you known that have collected on pro. disability? I havent met one in all my years yet.
Yes, as I said, I'm buying it. Though I agree with you that it's a "turd." (Feel free to insert different four letter word here.) I don't know anyone who has collected it either, and again, I too look forward to being able to stop paying it.I think disability insurance is a scam. My premium is crazy high as well (close to 5-6k/year) and Im thinking of dumping the turd. That represents over $320,000 in lost capital and interest at 8% annual return.
All you "live by the absolute minimal seat of your pants" types cant possibly be buying that crap, are you?
Who have you known that have collected on pro. disability? I havent met one in all my years yet.
Ive initiated a complex multi-business 401K+profit sharing plan+defined benefit system to get more than 200ish away pre-tax
This is a nice representation on how easily you can fall into spending more when you earn more. There is no way i could save 800k a yr because i don't even earn close to 800k a yr. But 16k a month is an enormous amt that cutting cable and stuff like that isn't likely to touch. I'm guessing it is either a really big mortgage or really expensive school that is driving a big portion and decreasing those things is going to be more difficult especially without family buy in. Instead of relying on a future about face with spending it would probably be better to sit down with your wife (and kids if appropriate) to discuss goals and priorities to reduce spending now.I thought I was saving a lot as well, until very recently when I learned more than a few people I know are saving around $800,000 AFTER taxes every year...I had a near meltdown as I thought I was way ahead on the curve saving 175-200K/year only to find out I was a rank amateur at this.
My wife actually threatened to bail out when I began a crazy round of cost cutting including turning off cable, phones, growing our own food etc. to lower costs and save more. Im already working around 80hrs/week so more work isn't viable at this point. Our household expenses had reached an astronomical 16000/mo (mortgage, low student loan payments, school for kids, car payment, food, travel, gas, remodeling and other home crap, going out to eat etc) before I blew my lid last year and demanded change Kim Jong Un style. Im in the process of retiring all remaining student loans and car payments in short order although the interest on those is either 0% or 2.25%.
Ive initiated a complex multi-business 401K+profit sharing plan+defined benefit system to get more than 200ish away pre-tax, but I have no clue how guys are getting retirement balances of 3-4million already in their early 40s...when asked they tell me they are merely thrifty savers. But the math isn't making sense for me. I will hopefully be saving around 400 next year, but it will be a titanic struggle with the family to do so.
Regardless, when the kids are gone, Im going full on monk-mode. I plan to either establish a residence in a foreign country like Panama, Costa Rica or Belize or move to a low tax state like NV. Costs will be cut to the bone.
The whole point of financial independence is to have a consistent, inflation adjusted income that is guaranteed to passively come your way. You don't need disability insurance because you no longer need to work for your income, it passively accrues without effort.I don't know how you guys are doing this. I've got about $5500 a year in disability insurance, about $1500 a year in life insurance, etc. I'm not sure how one can live on such a low amount and still have adequate insurance. But, I guess if you can achieve financial independence in 6 years, maybe you're willing to forgo disability insurance.
16k/mo as a baseline spending level is insane. Your saving rate is fine, certainly, but my god, dat spending...I thought I was saving a lot as well, until very recently when I learned more than a few people I know are saving around $800,000 AFTER taxes every year...I had a near meltdown as I thought I was way ahead on the curve saving 175-200K/year only to find out I was a rank amateur at this.
My wife actually threatened to bail out when I began a crazy round of cost cutting including turning off cable, phones, growing our own food etc. to lower costs and save more. Im already working around 80hrs/week so more work isn't viable at this point. Our household expenses had reached an astronomical 16000/mo (mortgage, low student loan payments, school for kids, car payment, food, travel, gas, remodeling and other home crap, going out to eat etc) before I blew my lid last year and demanded change Kim Jong Un style. Im in the process of retiring all remaining student loans and car payments in short order although the interest on those is either 0% or 2.25%.
Ive initiated a complex multi-business 401K+profit sharing plan+defined benefit system to get more than 200ish away pre-tax, but I have no clue how guys are getting retirement balances of 3-4million already in their early 40s...when asked they tell me they are merely thrifty savers. But the math isn't making sense for me. I will hopefully be saving around 400 next year, but it will be a titanic struggle with the family to do so.
Regardless, when the kids are gone, Im going full on monk-mode. I plan to either establish a residence in a foreign country like Panama, Costa Rica or Belize or move to a low tax state like NV. Costs will be cut to the bone.
It is because many (maybe most?) people allow their spending to follow their income and become adjusted to that level. Add in the fact that the people posting in this thread want to achieve the kind of financial status that would allow us to maintain a desired lifestyle level indefinitely even if we were to walk away from working many years before normal retirement age. The more expensive that chosen lifestyle is, or the earlier you wish to reach that status, the more you will have to put away. Of course one big benefit of putting a lot away if that you don't have that money around to get used to spending.I'm a (non-trad) first year medical student so I have no idea of what it's like to earn more than 40k. Before med school, I, with a wife and a toddler, lived comfortably on 3k a month, and that's in SoCal.
I need someone to explain to me why on this site the posts I read make me feel that if I don't hoard a six-figure amount per year into retirement savings, I would be starving. I can't imagine needing more than 50k/year when I'm retired, the debt and mortgage are paid off, and the kids have left the nest.
It is because many (maybe most?) people allow their spending to follow their income and become adjusted to that level. Add in the fact that the people posting in this thread want to achieve the kind of financial status that would allow us to maintain a desired lifestyle level indefinitely even if we were to walk away from working many years before normal retirement age. The more expensive that chosen lifestyle is, or the earlier you wish to reach that status, the more you will have to put away. Of course one big benefit of putting a lot away if that you don't have that money around to get used to spending.
This.It is because many (maybe most?) people allow their spending to follow their income and become adjusted to that level. Add in the fact that the people posting in this thread want to achieve the kind of financial status that would allow us to maintain a desired lifestyle level indefinitely even if we were to walk away from working many years before normal retirement age. The more expensive that chosen lifestyle is, or the earlier you wish to reach that status, the more you will have to put away. Of course one big benefit of putting a lot away if that you don't have that money around to get used to spending.
Now you can consciously avoid falling into the same trap.OK, I see your point. Thank you!
I understand this. I'm currently in the saving/accumulation phase. Once I reach financial independence, I will probably drop the disability income. But, until that point is reached, I'm going to keep my salary well insured.The whole point of financial independence is to have a consistent, inflation adjusted income that is guaranteed to passively come your way. You don't need disability insurance because you no longer need to work for your income, it passively accrues without effort.
I think disability insurance is a scam. My premium is crazy high as well (close to 5-6k/year) and Im thinking of dumping the turd. That represents over $320,000 in lost capital and interest at 8% annual return.
All you "live by the absolute minimal seat of your pants" types cant possibly be buying that crap, are you?
Who have you known that have collected on pro. disability? I havent met one in all my years yet.
If you are pulling down 300 and are able live off 27K then you have reached a zen like state even Tibetan monks would be astonished at.
Do I think its possible? Yes. Do I think anyone on this website has the discipline to do that?. No....but the fantasy is grand.
why not just work super part time then? cut back to 1/2 time and spend 2 weeks a month chillin.
I worry about the person only saving 5% of their 200k income getting used to the amount of spending that means suddenly "only" having 100k a yr to live on, especially if life stuff happens and that 100k becomes smaller. I have seen plenty of older docs still working, not because they love the job so much, but because they need the income to pay the bills. Meanwhile the doc saving half their 200k income may be perfectly content with what they do and do not spend their money on, and since they may have paid off their sensible house and cars by the time they retire will be able to afford those added costs you talk about.Interesting thread. One thing I didn't see mentioned is that retiring early (especially very early) isn't necessarily worth it. There are a lot of downsides to retiring early.
http://whitecoatinvestor.com/14-reasons-why-you-shouldn’t-retire-early/
Personally, I'm not willing to save 2/3 of my income when the alternative is to go to work a few days a month for a few more years and only have to save half that. Spending is fun too.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.