Anyone turning down interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

beastly115

I applied to 10 schools and have interviews at my top 3 choices. At my #3 school at the interview I was explicitly told that I am accepted but will need to wait until Dec 1 to make it official. I just received an interview to a school that is a little lower on my list (7 or 8th) and am thinking about turning it down.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? I'd rather not spend the extra money and time traveling when I am pretty much guaranteed an acceptance to one of my higher choice schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should do what you want :)

I applied to 10 schools and have interviews at my top 3 choices. At my #3 school at the interview I was explicitly told that I am accepted but will need to wait until Dec 1 to make it official. I just received an interview to a school that is a little lower on my list (7 or 8th) and am thinking about turning it down.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? I'd rather not spend the extra money and time traveling when I am pretty much guaranteed an acceptance to one of my higher choice schools.

until you get it in writing i wouldn't bank on it....last cycle there were others who said they were told this and ended up getting rejected....attend all interviews until you have an official letter
-ld

Members don't see this ad :)

If its not in writing its not an acceptance... I talked to a girl at my last interview and she was told that by here #1 last year. They told her to go get and apartment and get ready to move and then she got rejected dec 1..

Hope that's not your case, but yes I have declined a few interviews. For example, I don't have money to travel from the west coast to NY.

If its not in writing its not an acceptance... I talked to a girl at my last interview and she was told that by here #1 last year. They told her to go get and apartment and get ready to move and then she got rejected dec 1..

Hope that's not your case, but yes I have declined a few interviews. For example, I don't have money to travel from the west coast to NY.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I am a bit weary of what they told me, however this particular school has consistently taken several students from my undergrad for the past several years and am confident that I will get in. Realistically, I can't see myself going to the bottom 4 schools on my list and would probably reapply if I didn't get into my top 5 or 6.

wow thats harsh.

Well I'm about to turn down an interview I think. I have 6 interviews out of 11 schools so far and the one I'm about to turn down is fairly low on the list 8th or 9th. If you have a good amount of interviews already then you should be ok. Seems like you are good since you have interviews at your top 3. Thats great.

wow thats harsh.

Well I'm about to turn down an interview I think. I have 6 interviews out of 11 schools so far and the one I'm about to turn down is fairly low on the list 8th or 9th. If you have a good amount of interviews already then you should be ok. Seems like you are good since you have interviews at your top 3. Thats great.

My application is "under review" at my #5 and 6 places so I'll probably go to those if I earn an interview. Haven't heard from #4 and people here have been getting interviews there already :(

You could do what I did if you want, but I'm not saying it is the best idea.

After I got my interview invites for 4 schools, including my top 2 choice schools, I delayed any other interview invites. If I got one for a pre-december 1st interview, I asked if I could reschedule my interview to another date. I could have made up reasons, but most schools didn't really ask why. Then I just cancelled those interviews when I got my acceptances on December 1st.

Again, it's risky. Some schools take a delayed interview as a sign that you don't want to go to that school. And you could always not get accepted at all on Dec. 1st.

Yeah, I turned down my VCU invite last week. I'm pretty sure I won't be accepting anymore. Balancing travel, money, and school is pretty difficult.