Anyone used BK ultrasounds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acidbase1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they really superior to GE and Sonosite? I looked at sonosite Sii and wasn’t all that impressed with image quality. I used GE through residency and was happy with the image produced. The BK rep says theirs is the industry standard and had heard they were excellent

Members don't see this ad.

Are they really superior to GE and Sonosite? I looked at sonosite Sii and wasn’t all that impressed with image quality. I used GE through residency and was happy with the image produced. The BK rep says theirs is the industry standard and had heard they were excellent

Rolls Royce or M series or AMG version of an U/S. Simply the best but most expensive unit on the market. I have seen it in person and I'd love to have one but it ain't going to happen due to cost.

Reactions: 1 user
bk3500-thumb2.jpg
bk3500-anesthesia-ultrasound-machine

Members don't see this ad :)
We have bk at the main hospital and GE/Sonosite at other sites. Almost everyone hates the BK and feels the newer sonosites are much better

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

We have bk at the main hospital and GE/Sonosite at other sites. Almost everyone hates the BK and feels the newer sonosites are much better

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Can you please expand? Is it the image quality or the user features?

I’m about to demo all three so I’ll see in person I’d just like to get some of your opinions.

I just wasn’t impressed with the sonosite Sii maybe I’m looking at the wrong model

Rolls Royce or M series or AMG version of an U/S. Simply the best but most expensive unit on the market. I have seen it in person and I'd love to have one but it ain't going to happen due to cost.

Where have you seen them blade? In the clinical setting or at conferences?

Last edited:
Where have you seen them blade? In the clinical setting or at conferences?

I saw the high end BK models at a clinical demonstration. By far, the best images of any U/S I've ever seen. That said, are they worth the price difference over a GE or a Sonosite? No. All these manufacturers are very competitive these days and I'd rather have a new machine every 5 years because the advances improve image quality. Sadly, the penny pinchers probably want an U/S machine to last 10+ years.

Reactions: 1 users
Our surgeons use the BKs for their intra-operative ultrasounds (liver masses and the such). Not sure how much better they are.

Too bulky for my preference. None of them are all that ergonomic if you have tight spaces or distances between areas of the hospital you’re blocking in. I might feel differently if we had a designated block room.

Too bulky for my preference. None of them are all that ergonomic if you have tight spaces or distances between areas of the hospital you’re blocking in. I might feel differently if we had a designated block room.

But the image quality is superior?

But the image quality is superior?

I haven’t used it outside of blocks as a resident, meaning not for TTE in Icu or intraop. I know this isn’t the answer you’re looking for but image optimization and positioning seem to matter more than which top of the line ultrasound you use. Depth, focus, angle, gain, anchoring, looking down the needle like you’re aiming a gun with ultrasound across so you’re not turning your head, minimizing respiratory variation on image, etc.

I have spent some time doing ICU TTE and think for a lot of patients decent images are hiding if you have the time (30-45 minutes to dick around) to optimize. Time constraints are obviously real for ultrasound techs but I have on occasion found better images on a GE than the machine the techs use.