Anyone with 2.8-3.3 GPA got into dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile matters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone got it with a GPA of 2.8-3.3. My science GPA is probably around 2.9-3.0 but my overall is 3.0-3.1.
What schools can I apply to? Do I even have a chance without post-bacc or masters?
Also, is it really bad if I am taking 11 credits for one semester? I don't need many credits because I am already graduating early so I didn't pressure on myself.

1F (1st sem)--retook got an A(second sem)
1D(1st sem)--retook got an A(second sem)
4C's
9B's/ 2B's in CC
14A's/ 3A's in CC
1W

What school should I be looking into? So far I have,
NOVA
Tufts
NYU
Howard
BU
VCU (because I am in-state)
Midwestern (AZ)
LECOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be easier to say anything if you have taken the DAT

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it's possible. You need to do good on the DAT though. I'm talking 22+ so that you can have something to show that you're academically capable of studying hard and succeeding in dental school.

My GPA's: 2.96 oGPA, 2.94 sGPA, 3.45 masters GPA

DAT: 23 AA 24 TS 23 BIO 24 GC 24 OC 21 PAT 22 RC 20 QR

White male

I'm a non trad applicant that has been working in a health care career for 3 years. I applied on 11/28 (incredibly late) and got 1 interview and 1 acceptance. You need to have a strong personal statement, very strong LOR's, and interview good. I went above and beyond with LOR's and got 6 total. 2 science, 1 dentist, and 3 cardiovascular surgeons. I was told that my letters were extremely strong and gave them confidence about my ambitions, personality, and desire to help others. I was also complimented on a few of my answers during my interview. The key is to make everything about your application strong so that they can overlook the shortcomings of your GPA. You can do it OP but the first step for you is to destroy the DAT! Good luck!
Thank you so much! That is very inspiring. And that is great DAT score, may I know how you prepared for it and for how long?

Yes it's possible. You need to do good on the DAT though. I'm talking 22+ so that you can have something to show that you're academically capable of studying hard and succeeding in dental school.

White male

I'm a non trad applicant that has been working in a health care career for 3 years. I applied on 11/28 (incredibly late) and got 1 interview and 1 acceptance. You need to have a strong personal statement, very strong LOR's, and interview good. I went above and beyond with LOR's and got 6 total. 2 science, 1 dentist, and 3 cardiovascular surgeons. I was told that my letters were extremely strong and gave them confidence about my ambitions, personality, and desire to help others. I was also complimented on a few of my answers during my interview. The key is to make everything about your application strong so that they can overlook the shortcomings of your GPA. You can do it OP but the first step for you is to destroy the DAT! Good luck!

Congrats! Great job. Just curious, how did you get 6 letters of recommendation if the max was 4 on aadsas?

I know it can be demoralizing reading SDN but keep your head up. There are several people with ~3.0 GPA's on SDN that got accepted. Chad's videos, cliffs ap biology, organic chemistry as a second language I & II, feralis biology notes, dat destroyer, and bootcamp. I wrote a breakdown but it is very similar to the others who scored high. @8_man wrote a breakdown compilation thread that you should check out. My breakdown is linked there along with many other awesome scores

Yea it's really upsetting to see that I might need to do post-bacc, masters, or informal post-bacc to get in. I am hoping to just try applying this cycle and if I don't get in then think about post-bacc because if I do get in I will be saving so much money. Just praying and working hard. And thank you for the breakdown and suggestions!

Answer: Yes it is possible of course, but it will not be a strong point on your app. Which means you need to have other parts of the app, aka the DAT, be better than average to compensate.

There is a similar thread on the front page right now: Anyone accepted with a GPA 3.2 or below?
I've started preparing for the DAT so I am hoping to ace it in july! Thank you!

It's definitely possible. If you look at the GPA/DAT statistics for schools, you'll see some schools have lower GPA averages and then there's those that are higher up (3.5+). Even if a school has a higher GPA average than your current GPA, it doesn't necessarily mean you won't get accepted considering you can make up for your lower GPA in other parts of your application. Also they usually accept a variety of different students (differing GPA, DAT, etc.) to my understanding. I say if you can get your science GPA to 3.0 and score at least a 20, preferably 21+ on the DAT, then you'll be solid.

Reactions: 1 users
sGPA 2.9, overall GPA 3.1. AA 23, TS 22, PAT 23. No masters. I got in on December 1st.

Study for the DAT like your life matters, because frankly with a low GPA it does. I spent months studying for the DAT like it was a full time job and more or less got the scores I wanted.
Where did you get it?

oGPA: 3.2
sGPA:3.05
no masters or post bac

was accepted to multiple schools December 1.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, dental school is extremely competitive. Again, it is extremely competitive. Countless number of 4.0'ers are rejected or not even invited for an interview every year--I personally know some individuals.

Those with top-notch stats tend to apply to five schools or so, only to find out the hard way that they made a mistake with no invites after december. I don't care how good your stats, lors, ecs are--apply to like at least 15 schools and pray.

peace

White male

I was under the impression that 4 LOR's are max we are allowed to upload on application

I was under the impression that 4 LOR's are max we are allowed to upload on application

Max allowed to upload to AADSAS. Majority of the schools accept additional letters if you want to send more

Committee letter counts as 1. Then you have room for more if you want I suppose. Seems a bit overkill.

I agree its a little overkill for the average applicant. When you have a really low GPA you need to stand out though. I sent additional letters because I wanted admissions committees to be convinced from people who know me that I have a lot to offer. One of the surgeons I work with actually asked me if he could write me a letter, otherwise I would have had 5. In my opinion it can only help you as long as you are confident any additional letters are strong

Reactions: 1 users
Posted this in another thread but just wanted to chime in that it's definitely doable! I had about a 3.25 GPA, 3.15 sGPA but did a masters program and had a 3.9. Pulled a 24 on the DAT and then pulled 5 acceptances w/ scholarships after applying in September. Don't stress it!

Are my stats/grades really bad for the schools I listed? I wish aadsas didn't recalculate the repeated courses as new ones. I screwed up my first semester in college and now I am facing the consequences. Unfortunately, I recently had to withdraw from a class but that is my only W, hope they can look past that.

Are my stats/grades really bad for the schools I listed? I wish aadsas didn't recalculate the repeated courses as new ones. I screwed up my first semester in college and now I am facing the consequences. Unfortunately, I recently had to withdraw from a class but that is my only W, hope they can look past that.
I mean your stats are obviously below average for the schools you listed, but I think it's still possible. However, idk your extracurriculars, personal statement, LORs, DAT score, or interview performance, which all play a large role in deciding if you get in or not

White male

CONGRATS on getting accepted!! I know this is a year late so you probably won't see this, but if you don't mind me asking- where did you apply? and where were you accepted??

Best of luck in school!

Yes you can. Crush the DAT (21+), get good LORs, volunteer in meaningful areas, and write an exceptional personal statement.

Also, see my signature.

I have very low stats, 3.24 cgpa and 2.93 sgpa. I haven't taken my DAT yet. I'm a Canadian student. I have 200 hours of dental shadowing experience and strong LOR's. Given I can pull off a good DAT score, do I have a chance at American Dentistry Schools? and if so, which ones?

3.19 sgpa 21 AA/TS. I got accepted to 2 of the 3 schools I interviewed at. Declined interviews at 3 other schools

Reactions: 2 users
I have very low stats, 3.24 cgpa and 2.93 sgpa. I haven't taken my DAT yet. I'm a Canadian student. I have 200 hours of dental shadowing experience and strong LOR's. Given I can pull off a good DAT score, do I have a chance at American Dentistry Schools? and if so, which ones?

The private schools. Consider doing a science intensive SMP/postbacc. There's tons of them in the US. Your GPA as it stands isn't enough to get into a US school as an international. Also consider taking the American DAT since you haven't taken the DAT yet. Some schools don't accept the cDAT.