dmiller81

New Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
2
0
Status
I have read alot about the SC programs but I haven't heard much about the North Carolina Programs. I know that Wilmington did not fill up their class last year so someone must know why. Also I have heard that Greensboro is a good program except the call schedule for interns sucks pretty bad.
 

ryann04

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
15
0
Status
dmiller81 said:
I have read alot about the SC programs but I haven't heard much about the North Carolina Programs. I know that Wilmington did not fill up their class last year so someone must know why. Also I have heard that Greensboro is a good program except the call schedule for interns sucks pretty bad.


I was very impressed with the cabarrus family medicine program in concord. It is an unopposed program, the hospital is beautiful, the attendings are terrific, and the overall feel is incredible. The program is about 20min outside of charlotte so you get that plus without having to live in charlotte.
 
OP
D

dmiller81

New Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
2
0
Status
ryann04 said:
I was very impressed with the cabarrus family medicine program in concord. It is an unopposed program, the hospital is beautiful, the attendings are terrific, and the overall feel is incredible. The program is about 20min outside of charlotte so you get that plus without having to live in charlotte.
Is it true that at Cabarrus interns take call 10 months of the year, and 2nd and 3rd years take take call 7 months out of the year without home call?
Also, do you know anything about Asheville's program? I haven't heard anything other than what their website says. Thanks for the info.
 

Cristagali

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
219
2
Visit site
Status
Same question about New Hanover? Seems like an ideal spot to do a residency, but obviously not? :confused:
 

gwyn779

stargazer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
2,809
1
40
soon to be Winston-Salem
Visit site
Status
dmiller81 said:
Is it true that at Cabarrus interns take call 10 months of the year, and 2nd and 3rd years take take call 7 months out of the year without home call?
Also, do you know anything about Asheville's program? I haven't heard anything other than what their website says. Thanks for the info.
When I was asking UVA people about NC programs, every single one mentioned Asheville as somewhere I should check out. I really liked it when I interviewed and it's near the top of my list. Not first because I decided I want a university program w/ multiple residencies, but it's actually above several university programs. Everyone was great, plus they tend to get people from a wide variety of places (i.e. not all NC), which I think makes for a better learning environment.
 

Foxglove

New Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2004
4
0
Status
dmiller81 said:
Is it true that at Cabarrus interns take call 10 months of the year, and 2nd and 3rd years take take call 7 months out of the year without home call?
Also, do you know anything about Asheville's program? I haven't heard anything other than what their website says. Thanks for the info.
Avoid the Cabarrus program. Just about every year they have a resident quit the program. This year they are losing at least 1 maybe 2.
 

ryann04

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
15
0
Status
Do they leave because of the program or for other reasons (family, career change,etc.)?
 

Foxglove

New Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2004
4
0
Status
ryann04 said:
Do they leave because of the program or for other reasons (family, career change,etc.)?
Because of the program. It's toxic.
 

ryann04

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
15
0
Status
Curious, how is it toxic? I was very impressed with it but would like to know if there is something really bad about it
 

8744

Guest
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
9,322
171
Status
Non-Student
Cristagali said:
Duke hasn't filled the last 3 Match(es). Whats the problem? Too picky? :D
They can't be too picky because they picked me.