Anyone write a thesis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
And was it in any way a part of your medical school application process? In other words, did you bring it up on your application? Just wondering...

Nanon

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, jeez. I guess I should elaborate, or this thread will go down faster than the Titanic. Here's the deal. In order to graduate, I have to write a thesis that's about 50 pages long (although, the way it's going, it'll probably be more like 70). At any rate, I'm writing it about the classification system used by the DSM and its ethical ramifications. In other words, very much medically related.

My professor says that a thesis can be used in the application process for graduate school (so get a decent grade), but I'm wondering if this applies to medical school. Whether or not it can be used, I intend to do well with it, but has an undergrad thesis ever come up as a help for getting into medical school? Does the AMCAS have a place for a thesis (beyond what grade I got), or would I have to include it in my personal statement if I wanted to make a big deal about it - not saying that I really want to, but still.

Anyone?

Nanon

Nanon said:
Oh, jeez. I guess I should elaborate, or this thread will go down faster than the Titanic. Here's the deal. In order to graduate, I have to write a thesis that's about 50 pages long (although, the way it's going, it'll probably be more like 70). At any rate, I'm writing it about the classification system used by the DSM and its ethical ramifications. In other words, very much medically related.

My professor says that a thesis can be used in the application process for graduate school (so get a decent grade), but I'm wondering if this applies to medical school. Whether or not it can be used, I intend to do well with it, but has an undergrad thesis ever come up as a help for getting into medical school? Does the AMCAS have a place for a thesis (beyond what grade I got), or would I have to include it in my personal statement if I wanted to make a big deal about it - not saying that I really want to, but still.

Anyone?

Nanon

It fits more into the GPA category than the EC category. I think it'd be difficult to summarize it in your personal statement. However, if it's that important to you...give it a shot. If it sucks....then don't include it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fermata said:
It fits more into the GPA category than the EC category. I think it'd be difficult to summarize it in your personal statement. However, if it's that important to you...give it a shot. If it sucks....then don't include it.

Yep, that's kind of what I figured, but you never know until you know. Thanks!

Nanon

you can always mention it at interviews. although not at the bench, the research you did in writing your thesis could be counted as an EC too.

Since it was medically related (IVF/embryonic development), I mentioned my thesis in the EC section... I classified it as research.

if you're applying to a school like cleveland clinic, it will definitely be a useful part of the application.

I did a thesis on racial disparities in health care. However, I did all of my own research and statistics, so I listed it as original research that was presented (AMCAS EC section has a designation for "presentations/posters) and with publication pending (should find out by next month :thumbup: )

medic170 said:
I did all of my own research and statistics, so I listed it as original research that was presented and with publication pending

The OP should follow this format. If it's a true thesis (honors thesis or masters thesis), it is considered a publication (despite not being peer reviewed). Unless of course the thesis is only a review of existing literature ("library research"), then it's more or less worthless unless you are an expert in the field.

tofurious said:
The OP should follow this format. If it's a true thesis (honors thesis or masters thesis), it is considered a publication (despite not being peer reviewed). Unless of course the thesis is only a review of existing literature ("library research"), then it's more or less worthless unless you are an expert in the field.

I wouldn't go so far to call thesis a publication (ie, people can't do a pub-med search and find your ugrad/MS thesis). Adcoms might view think you're overstating. I'd list your research as an EC and discuss te type of research you did any why (to complete your thesis).

nina512 said:
I wouldn't go so far to call thesis a publication (ie, people can't do a pub-med search and find your ugrad/MS thesis). Adcoms might view think you're overstating. I'd list your research as an EC and discuss te type of research you did any why (to complete your thesis).

Yeah, its only a publication if it was actually published somewhere.

nina512 said:
I wouldn't go so far to call thesis a publication (ie, people can't do a pub-med search and find your ugrad/MS thesis).

I don't think you understand what publications mean. People put their books and book chapters under publication, and you can't do a PubMed search on them. That's why I said "despite not being peer-reviewed" because only peer-reviewed publications will show up on PubMed.

I will re-iterate to those who are applying: beware of who you get your advice from.

tofurious said:
I don't think you understand what publications mean. People put their books and book chapters under publication, and you can't do a PubMed search on them. That's why I said "despite not being peer-reviewed" because only peer-reviewed publications will show up on PubMed.

I will re-iterate to those who are applying: beware of who you get your advice from.

You're right...some book chapters won't show up on Pub-med. I suggest that the OP ask her advisor what her/his thesis should be classified under.

I still don't think a thesis is a publication (coming from someone with a publication in a peer-reviewd journal AND a book chapter AND a completed MS thesis, which was not listed as a publicaiton on my AMCAS)

Yeah, I don't know what a publication means... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Nanon said:
And was it in any way a part of your medical school application process? In other words, did you bring it up on your application? Just wondering...

Nanon

Yes: "System Status Management - Statistical Analysis of Emergency Vehicle Staging"

No

i just finished my thesis a few days ago actually and i'm applying for graduation this week. i'll be an MS1 in a few days.

it was a nonscientific one -- philosophical/psychological analysis of the oral tradition of animal anecdotes and weird stories.... my thesis came up a lot in my application actually -- because i had to do a few stints of research during the summer and i got a stipend from my school program and so when included them as "honors and awards" i had to explain what they were. the thesis came up in every interview and when i explained it, they were usually interested because it wasn't a medical subject and they would always encourage me to keep up the outside interests like writing/psychology/philosophy if i went to their medical school.

yes, i wrote one. it's not worth it. don't do it! have fun with your senior year. work in a lab and try to get published. nobody gives a rat's ass if you did a thesis.

nina512 said:
I still don't think a thesis is a publication (coming from someone with a publication in a peer-reviewd journal AND a book chapter AND a completed MS thesis, which was not listed as a publicaiton on my AMCAS)

it's a worthwhile publication if it has original work in it. it will be on file at the school, and anybody continuing the OPs work should cite his thesis just like they would a book chapter. the end.

I incorporated my thesis into my personal statement--it was medically-related and helped explain my choice of major. It was the thing I talked about most in my interviews, partly because I mentioned it on my app and it was an interesting study that is relevant to all physicians and partly because my advisor gave me a very nice rec. It helped enormously for me (I think). Just my experience.
Overall, independent work shows independent thinking and hard work--both things that every future doctor should be able to do.

I did a thesis and incorporated that into my PS as well. Good luck!

Dr. Chiquita said:
I did a thesis and incorporated that into my PS as well. Good luck!

dr. chiquita -- is that you anjana? :) haha plan II pride baby. if thats not you, then... uh nevermind.

Wow! Sounds like a lot of your topics were really cool, and it sounds like you guys integrated your thesis into your applications in a lot of ways. I will talk to my advisor about this, but I was really wondering what your experiences were.

As to the kind of thesis I'm doing - I'm looking at current arguments surrounding the nature vs. nurture debate and how these differing theories over the history of psychiatry have influenced the taxonomic system of the DSM, and what the ramifications have been. Can you have a theory-free taxonomy? How do moral theories of mental illness still play a part in the DSM, given its increasing reliance on organic theories? But at the core of the thesis, I'm asking whether it's possible to even define mental illness. So I'm comparing these different theories and, through their taxonomic and linguistic systems, associating them to the actual care of patients in our current system.

Complicated enough? But no, no original statistics or measurements.

I think I'll probably put it in my EC category, just because my personal statement will be needed for other issues. Thanks to everyone again!

Nanon

Ps, I have to write the thesis to graduate in my major, so this isn't an honors thing, or optional.

Nanon

My honor's thesis will have absolutely nothing to do with medicine...but it will take tons of research to complete because I'm expecting the paper to run ~90-100 pages in length. My thesis will be about how international terrorism has changed diplomatic relations between the members of the UN Security Council. Considering that this has nothing to do with medicine at all, I'm not entirely sure how to classify this...EC? If it gets published in an undergraduate research journal, does it count as a publication?

If it is jsut a requirement for graduation (it was for me too), then I would say listing it as an EC is dubious at best, and would probably draw suspicion. However, if you do pursue publication, then certainly list it. If not, incorporate it somehow. I can't stress that enough--many theses are serious bodies of work, and represent not only novel thinking, but disciplined study and data analysis that are not necessarily typical of med school applicants. So, find a way to highlight this ability, and if it is medically-related, put it in your PS, for god's sake. Mine was about lay press reporting of clinical trials and I managed to relate that to my non-biological perceptions of disease. Anyway, just do what you can to make you look as qualified as possible, and I would wager your thesis adds to your credibility as an applicant.

Haha, my thesis was, "Through Hobbit Eyes: Religion in Middle Earth." Now I wonder how in the heck I'm going to fit Tolkien into a med school app.... Tolkien scholar that I am. ;) Ah, maybe I'll submit it to Walking Tree publishers or something...

I'm always the one out on a limb, doing completely inane things.

Sev

Hahaha... translating it into Entish is going to be a tedious process though, since we all know, that anything worth saying is worth taking a very long time to say. Haruummm.... :D

Sev