Anyones thoughts on statistics course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molar3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im contemplating taking stat,
who here has taken it, and did you think it was hard/easy/did you ace it? Also if youre some sort of math genius, please do let me know bc um that doesnt count!

Members don't see this ad.

alegbra? i think?
A course in analysis of data with focus on statistical inference. Topics include descriptive statistics, random variables and probability distributions, correlation and regression analysis, non-parametric statistics and use of statistical software. A TI 89 graphing calculator is required

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk if its b/c stony brook is heavily asian based but its required here :(

Idk if its b/c stony brook is heavily asian based but its required here :(

It's pretty easy depending on what level stats it is. If it is the lower level stats, then take it. It's literally seeing whether p value is < .05 %, hypothesis is true etc -_-

IF you have not taken DAT... it will really help you in the QR section to get those(my guess ~5-8) probability questions correctly. It will also help you in life to analyze data given at any levels to some point. And if you are thinking of doing research in dental school or post bac it will also help b/c you will have this basic knowledge under your belt. if you have time to take it I say go for it. For math classes at least from my experience, you need to do the prof's hw once when its assigned and once again along with the review before the exam. And Math will become easy for you.

I say take it... its really not that hard especially when you are using the ti-89...(IT was consider cheating in my school b/c it can basically, easily do almost all of the undergrad math Including integrals). I know i didnt answer your question b/c everyones experience is diff. Plus it wont help much on how my experience was.

who here has taken it, and did you think it was hard/easy/did you ace it? Also if youre some sort of math genius, please do let me know bc um that doesnt count!

I would definitely take a stat course, if for no other reason than to help pick the "right" dental schools for your qualifications. If you have the aptitude for calc and algebra, statistics should be no problem. :)

I'm a business major so I took an algebra based statistics course for my major. I agree that it could help you with the QR section on DAT with statistics terms and reading histograms and graphs but If you're looking for ONE class that will help you with your analytical skills in dental career, I'd like to recommend a financial accounting course. My dentist praises my ability to read financial statements and etc. because she has to do that all the time running her practice but it was something she did not learn in dental school. Introduction to financial accounting should teach you how to read and create financial statements for a company. If you'd like help with choosing a course, pm me and I can help.

I mean it does not hurt you to take elective courses that you like to know about, right?
Statistics is very useful when it comes to research, if thats what you plan on focusing in dental school.

I recommend you "take as many elective courses as possible that you are interested in while you are in undergrad"

i.e.) i took stats, music, guitar class, history class, golf class, foreign language, microbio, inorganic chem and so on...

i mean, later, you will hardly have a chance to learn about them if not now...

It's pretty easy depending on what level stats it is. If it is the lower level stats, then take it. It's literally seeing whether p value is < .05 %, hypothesis is true etc -_-

I dont mind taking it, I actually like math/stat a lot. Its just the math dept at stony brook has such a bad reputation for not caring about their students at all which is why I try to stay away from it as much as possible. So its just one of those classes you dont want to take unless required.

Most popular quote from my calc 2 professor:
"Didny you guys learn this? No? Well I really dont want to teach it, go learn it. Oh and by the way, it will be on your final."
Not an exageration.

Molar..take the Stats course. I had it my second semester in undergrad and because of it I was able to read research papers for upper div bio courses really well. If nothing else, Stats will help you make sense of some research papers you may be required to read in D-school or if you decide to do research yourself and write the results section----just my 2 cents..

Intro stats was probably the easiest class I've taken so far in college. I seriously could have made an A or B in 8th grade.

For me, stats was pretty much just a basic algebra class. I'm not really good in math and the class was fairly tough but as long as you keep up with the material and know how and when to use specific formulas you should be fine. Once you know the formulas and what they do its pretty much just plug and play. I came out with an A but it took the first two tests for me to realize that the material couldn't just be memorized and used; I had to practice using the formulas. And if your teacher refuses to teach it to you or just stinks at explaining it I'm sure there is someone on campus (be it a teacher or a classmate) that will be willing to help you out if need be. Good luck! :thumbup: