Anything else I can do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in hopes that perhaps people might have suggestions for additional things I could do to make myself stand out as an applicant.

Here's what I have so far:
Majors: Languages, Literatures and Linguistics; psychology; life sciences (cell biology)
Minor: Chemistry
GPA: 3.5 overall
Science GPA: 3.4
MCAT: Haven't taken it yet, because I'm not applying until the cycle after next.
Research:
-Research assistant for a professor investigating lightning strike injuries and fatalities
-Working on starting health psychology research of COPD and it's management
Publications:
-Sole author of an article on professional development in respiratory therapy (submitted and currently pending review)
-Sole author of a case report on an unusual mechanism of head trauma resulting in death(currently working on it)
-Primary author (1 of 3) on article on ethical considerations of prehospital cardiac arrest management (currently in early stages of writing)
-Various other articles in the works. :thumbup:

Clinical experience
-Certified respiratory therapist (since 2001)
-Certified EMT-Intermediate (since 1999; basic EMT 1998-99; first responder 1997-1998
-Former phlebotomist (2 years)
-Echocardiographer (approximately 1 year)

Shadowing time with:
-Family practice docs* (x3 (both MD and DO)
-Orthopedic surgeons (x2)
-Pediatrician
-Pathologist*
-Anesthesiologist*
-Rheumatologist*
-Dermatologist*
-Hand surgeon
-Gastroenterologist
-Cardiologist*
-ENT doc
*- denotes doc who offered me a recommendation letter

Volunteer and extra-curricular activities
-Founding a chapter of Students for Organ Donation
-Volunteer EMT/Firefighter (1997-2001; 2003-2004; 2005-Present) former volunteer fire captain (EMS operations officer)
-Paleontology "consultant" for children's museum
-Reporter for school newspaper
-"Teaching assistant" for pulmonary physiology portion of physiology course for medical students at medical school satellite campus.

Anything I am missing? :laugh: Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Cure cancer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start composing an endearing personal statement anecdote. It's gotta be golden! (Don't write the typical chronological autobiographical essay. Those suck.)

Damn the man!

Your ECs sound incredible, but I think your GPA is low for consideration at the top schools.

Make sure you get to know professors well so they can write good recs.

Work really hard to get a top score on the MCAT because that will be helpful for balancing your GPA.

P.S. Why do you have 4 majors?

You're golden...with an entire application cycle to go and the chance for even more publications and medical experience --> just own the MCAT and you're good to go.

I'm not applying to any "top" schools really- Indiana, Louisville, Illinois, Utah, a couple of others and a few osteopathic schools. Personally I just want to be a doc, I have no intention of getting caught up in a "I'm a bad-ss because I went to Harvard" debates.

Actually I have three majors and one minor, just simply because I am interested in each of the topics I'm studying.

Praetorian said:
I'm not applying to any "top" schools really- Indiana, Louisville, Illinois, Utah, a couple of others and a few osteopathic schools. Personally I just want to be a doc, I have no intention of getting caught up in a "I'm a bad-ss because I went to Harvard" debates.

Actually I have three majors and one minor, just simply because I am interested in each of the topics I'm studying.

I think this has been asked before, but is that kid in the avatar your child???

Because that is........................ONE REAL CUTE PIC!!!!!!!!! :D

Now back to topic: Own the MCAT and you are good to go. I think the rest of your app is solid for the types of schools you are planning on applying to. You might want to talk to applicants who have been accepted to the schools of your interest and see what they thought about how hard it was to get into those schools. You might also want to consult the MSAR.

But as far as overall app goes, you only have to get past the beast known as MCAT.

Cool....thanks for the encouragement.

And yes, that's my daughter Lydia and myself in my avatar. :)

Praetorian said:
Cool....thanks for the encouragement.

And yes, that's my daughter Lydia and myself in my avatar. :)

Cool Cool. Well you two look sooooooo adorable in that pic. :D :D

Good luck in April with the MCAT.

I think you have a terrific application. The GPA is more than compensated for in your other achievements, especially with your publications. Just write a kickass personal statement and you're set. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. By the way Potato, nice avatar.