AOA/ACGME Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shaqattack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a question for those DOs who are currently applying to as well as those that have already completed ACGME accredited fellowships after completing an AOA accredited residency. Does not completing an ACGME residency program automatically preclude me from applying to and completing an ACGME fellowship with the new policy changes and AOA/ACGME unification.

I imagine many DOs in years past have gone down the AOA residency/ACGME fellowship path and have gone on to subsequently get their ACGME fellowship approved by the AOA without any issues.

I'm assuming upon completion of an ACGME fellowship I would be not be eligible to sit for the ACGME sub specialty boards for my particular specialty. I'm fine with that as my specific AOA specialty college has the ability to administer and issue CAQs upon successful completion and AOA approval of ACGME fellowship training.

I'd love to hear from someone who has very recently gone down this path or is currently going through this as to what you've learned from the process.

Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.