AOA approval for ACGME training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HW

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aware of the new guidelines for AOA approval of ACGME training, AND I know that its needed to practice in the 5 states, BUT I DON'T care.
It doesn't matter to me whether I'm AMA rather than AOA boarded, and I don't care about the 5 states. Therefore, beyone "AOA loyalty" what does AOA approval do for me?
And I already know about holding office and being dean of a DO school, but once again -- don't care.
And the rhetoric about it being needed because there are more DO grads than DO residencies is BS. There were FIVE HUNDRED unfilled position in the Jan 2000 DO match.
I'm in the NRMP for peds, and I can't understand why the AOA thinks I should jump through hoops for their approval?
All that matters to me is the quality of my postgraduate education and location -- neither of which the AOA can offer me for a pediatric residency. So why should I have to give up the majority of my electives and vacation time during residency to do general surgery and adult medicine and go to CME?
Is there something I'm missing here? And I don't mean some esoteric "us against them mentality" reasoning.
Its my opinion that completing the AOA requirement would be a detriment to my practice in pediatrics...it would take away valuable time in my specialty, be a substantial financial burden, and cheat me of vacation with family and friends.
I will appreciate thougtful responses.

------------------
hw

Members don't see this ad.

You may not want to be part of an osteopathic institution today, whether it be the AOA or a DO school, but one day you might. That's the advice given in Iserson's book concerning DOs.

Tim of New York City.

Sorry Tim, but I've seen your posts all over this website.... I'm looking for response from someone whose had experience with this issue who can offer some advice/reasons for pursuing AOA approval.
And I will be a member of the AOA and involved regardless.
thanks

------------------
hw