AOA approved residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pabdalla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with. Does AOA approved residencies for osteo students differ from regular allopathic residencies? My modest understanding is that to be competitive in regular allopathic residencies, I have to take the USMLE, but I do not have to take the USMLE to be competitive in AOA approved residencies (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that as long as I am an osteopathic medical student, I have to take the COMLEX, but I read alot about the possibility of taking USMLE (besides the COMLEX) in order to become more competitive for allopathic residencies. Is that true for AOA approved residencies or only regular allopathic residencies or are they both the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that as long as I am an osteopathic medical student, I have to take the COMLEX, but I read alot about the possibility of taking USMLE (besides the COMLEX) in order to become more competitive for allopathic residencies. Is that true for AOA approved residencies or only regular allopathic residencies or are they both the same?

I believe that the USLME's are taken only to become more competitive for allopathic residencies (so DO's can be compared objectively to MD board scores)...for AOA osteopathic residencies, I believe that you only have to take the COMLEX...

Thanks for your help guys.

You can take the COMLEX and the USMLE or a each, individually. If you take the USMLE and COMLEX and apply to both osteo and allo residencies, and you happen to match, first, into the osteo, then you are required to take the osteo residency/internship (correct me if I am wrong). Go to DO-online.com and check out all of the AOA approved internships and residencies for yourself. Hope this was any kind of help........:horns:

You can take the COMLEX and the USMLE or a each, individually. If you take the USMLE and COMLEX and apply to both osteo and allo residencies, and you happen to match, first, into the osteo, then you are required to take the osteo residency/internship (correct me if I am wrong). Go to DO-online.com and check out all of the AOA approved internships and residencies for yourself. Hope this was any kind of help........:horns:
That is correct. Osteopathic matching occurs a month before the allopathic match, so if you apply to both and get into osteopathic first, you must take that residency. As other posts have mentioned, only pick DO residencies that you KNOW that you whole-heartedly are interested in.

AOA is for DO, ACGME is for MD. There are AOA-ACGME dual-certified residencies out there. Best of luck.

As mentioned above, DO's are required to take the COMLEX and can compete for allo residencies with that, but many opt to take the USMLE also. This makes the comparison easier.