AOA member perks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ypruns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any perk (benefits/discounts) to being in AOA besides a Pharos magazine?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any perk (benefits/discounts) to being in AOA besides a Pharos magazine?

Groupies. VIP access. Being able to rock the secret handshake. Street cred. AOA clothing line. The list is endless.

That poorly written magazine? I'm not sure what else. Maybe a banquet depending on school? Perhaps it will be handy for fellowships. It reminds me of those "best student in America" scam things that asked you to pay all this money to be listed - except AOA was actually very important in terms of getting a top residency.

You can keep people you don't like out of AOA.

That poorly written magazine? I'm not sure what else. Maybe a banquet depending on school? Perhaps it will be handy for fellowships. It reminds me of those "best student in America" scam things that asked you to pay all this money to be listed - except AOA was actually very important in terms of getting a top residency.

Does it help in ANY WAY after you finish fellowship (i.e.early faculty positions, grants)? Would be hard to believe, but I thought would throw the question out there.

Does it help in ANY WAY after you finish fellowship (i.e.early faculty positions, grants)? Would be hard to believe, but I thought would throw the question out there.

It totally helps...just as much as Golden Key society.

I laughed out loud at the thought that it could help with grants.

"Specific Aim #1: Based upon my AOA membership, I will perform next-generation gene expression analysis on 50 mice with and 50 mice without constitutive knock-in of APO-J"

It totally helps...just as much as Golden Key society.

I laughed out loud at the thought that it could help with grants.

"Specific Aim #1: Based upon my AOA membership, I will perform next-generation gene expression analysis on 50 mice with and 50 mice without constitutive knock-in of APO-J"

Yeah...grants would be a long shot. I was thinking more about your first faculty position. Seems like its no big deal.

Yeah...grants would be a long shot. I was thinking more about your first faculty position. Seems like its no big deal.

It makes those of us who wasted our first 2 years of med school studying our asses off feel better about missing out on a lot of cool shiz that was going on. Otherwise, once you match (definitely residency and maybe fellowship), it's no big deal.