AOA news letter on new schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mapleleaf4

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just read the president's column in the Jan issue of AOA news. It basically talks about how the AOA can do nothing and will do nothing to stop the opening of new schools or limit the number of new graduates due to antitrusts laws. It goes on to say that as long as schools can fill the seats and make a profit, expect more schools to open. Their advice to current optometrists is to encourage MORE students to go into optometry to make sure there are qualified applicants for fill these seats. The final blow is where they say that the AOA will not make any effort to reduce competition among practicing optometrists and they "encourage their members to avoid focuing any discussion on that idea." Like if we ignore it, the problem will go away.... There are going to be soo many optometrists in the future that we are going to be lucky to get a job period regardless of the income. With so many ODs fighting for jobs, your know that the salaries are going to go down, yet tuition will continue to rise. I just cannot believe that the organization that is suppose to be the voice and muscle of our profession has no say when it come to an issue as large as opening more schools flooding an already flooded market!
 
I read that, too. They're worried because, apparently the Vet Association got sued by Western U for trying to stop a new vet school due to anti-trust violations.

Although, are professions regulated by the state still considered free market ? I guess I'd have to ask a lawyer on that one. I'm not sure.
 
I read that, too. They're worried because, apparently the Vet Association got sued by Western U for trying to stop a new vet school due to anti-trust violations.

Although, are professions regulated by the state still considered free market ? I guess I'd have to ask a lawyer on that one. I'm not sure.

Im not a lawyer obviously, but the anti-trust statutes are normally interpreted very broadly. So it is not unreasonble to be cautious with this issue. However, that doesn't mean you have to go off of the deep end.

A collegue reported once that they tried to advocate through their state association that all ODs contribute $1 for each comprehensive eye exam they do into a fund that will go to fund eyecare for the indigent. The AOA nixed the idea claiming that if the ODs do this, and the average price of an eye exam goes up by $1 next year (which it will just due to inflation) then the ODs involved could be accused of an anti-trust violation.

One of the things mentioned on another forum is that the AOA should retain the services of a top anti-trust law firm to give them a legal opinion on what they can or can not do in this arena. Simply relying on the advice of in-house council as the AOA seems to be doing is a very bad idea.

That being said, I think the OP needs to calm down.

You can find a "job" in just about every corner of the USA. HOwever, to find a quality position or to start and/or buy a succssful practice is much harder and this is related to the issues of insurance discrimination. The majority of you did not go to school to work in some "mart" or some "crafters." I know that I sure didn't. To avoid that being your fate, you need to practice in an area where you can be admitted onto medical insurance plans. I don't know how many more times I can say it without gagging.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read that, too. They're worried because, apparently the Vet Association got sued by Western U for trying to stop a new vet school due to anti-trust violations.

Although, are professions regulated by the state still considered free market ? I guess I'd have to ask a lawyer on that one. I'm not sure.

NC was able to stop UNC Pembroke from opening an OD school. ?


We have the same debt load as med and dental students, but we will not be making as much as them. Student debt will kill optometrists.
 
You can "subscribe" to the thread under the "User CP" so you don't have to bump everything you bookmark.

I'm sure the other users would appreciate that... rather than having to read a thread they think has a new post.

Thanks!

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
 
the LCME can stop MD schools from opening, why cant a similar group stop OD schools from opening? Is there a similar group? (AMA doesn't have any influence on MD schools, but the accrediting group LCME does).
 
I just think the AOA is trying to keep the money rolling in. Three new schools might be to their benifit. It also sounds like they are anti-indigents. It just seems to me they are all around money oriented.
 
i think its fine to open a new school as long as they have some contract with the students saying they will serve 10 years at an underserved area/clinic.
 
i think its fine to open a new school as long as they have some contract with the students saying they will serve 10 years at an underserved area/clinic.


What?!? That has zero chance of happening. Maybe if you sweeten the deal by offering student loan forgiveness and lowering the servitude to 2-4yrs.
 
the LCME can stop MD schools from opening, why cant a similar group stop OD schools from opening? Is there a similar group? (AMA doesn't have any influence on MD schools, but the accrediting group LCME does).

Can LCME stop a school for any reason? ODs do have to accredit the programs but unless there is a legitimate problem with the school then they will pass muster.
 
The UNC school was able to be shut down because it was a public university. The other ones are private. It seems that Optometrists cannot catch a break. Seems like punishment. Our schooling is as hard or harder than dentistry or med school, (That's from some students who were in med school), our debt is as high or higher, we have two professions screwing us from both ends, commercial optometry is killing our image, massive oversupply to get worse, and we make less income than all the above. Haha, just some good feelings there.

Crazy thing is I love what I do. Who should really be worried about oversupply is Ophthalmologists. ODs are highly educated and will be forced to fight for increased scope of practice if their livelihood is threatened.

In a perfect world there would be no more schools opening and "general" ophthalomogist would not exist, only sub-specialists.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Our schooling is as hard or harder than dentistry or med school, (That's from some students who were in med school)

Them's fighting words here on SDN. Unless a student has attended both optometry school and medical/dental school, how can they accurately compare the difficulty of the two?

Now... I will step back and see how long it takes for the first pre-allo, med/dental student, or OMD resident to offer up their two cents...
 
Them's fighting words here on SDN. Unless a student has attended both optometry school and medical/dental school, how can they accurately compare the difficulty of the two?

Actually, they did say it was from students who had been in the other schools. Not to say every school is like that...(crosses fingers, please let the trolls be busy elsewhere)....:laugh:

Enough procrastinating, back to studying for finals - they start saturday 😱
 
Actually, they did say it was from students who had been in the other schools. Not to say every school is like that...(crosses fingers, please let the trolls be busy elsewhere)....:laugh:

Enough procrastinating, back to studying for finals - they start saturday 😱

Oops... I didn't think he was implying that he had talked to a student who had completed both programs. My bad...

:luck: :luck: GOOD LUCK ON FINALS!!! Wait... did you say you have finals on Saturday? Interesting...
 
Oops... I didn't think he was implying that he had talked to a student who had completed both programs. My bad...

:luck: :luck: GOOD LUCK ON FINALS!!! Wait... did you say you have finals on Saturday? Interesting...

And I'm still procrastinating...
We voted to have one on Saturday so we can break up two of our hardest finals instead of having them all during the week