AOA person applying for ACGME Psychosomatic Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rapunzeldances

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone coming from an AOA psychiatry program has been accepted into a psychosomatic medicine fellowship or had difficulty obtaining a fellowship because of the program's status?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any update on this question (AOA Psych --> ACGME Psychosomatic Fellow possibility) especially considering the current climate?

My AOA Psych residency just received initial accreditation for ACGME and its difficult to parse out what options I have for fellowship in the upcoming years.

A colleague of mine (4th year AOA Psych) was led to believe they could bypass the 'ACGME Only' rule for psychosomatic fellow and had the doors shut on her during this years match. I don't want to end up in a similar position and be led awry with incorrect info from fellowship coordinators.

I'd like any information, if any, on options AOA psych residents may have before applying for fellowship in the next couple years (I'm PGY-1), if that is even possible for some of the psych fellowships available for ACGME residents. It's very confusing and it seems fellowship coordinators can't answer many questions since their is an ever expanding grey area due to the merger, initial accreditation of my own residency into ACGME, having only taken COMLEX, increased competitiveness, etc.

PLEASE ADVISE!

If your program has received ACGME accreditation then I believe you are eligible. I know this year some applicants who were ACGME-I accredited were not considered and it caused some debate about this restriction among programs as the number of current programs vastly outnumber applicants. I imagine things may change in the future to help fill those programs.