AOA President Response to CNN Article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I must say that the president of the AOA, Dr. Shettle, is very serious about this type of media. I (along with many others from our school) contacted the AOA and CNN regarding their coverage of "osteopaths" and "medical doctors". The president of AOA addressed CNN as a result. You gotta participate and fix the problems instead of just complaining. Here is response to CNN.

December 5, 2005
CNN.com
RE: "California case shows need for checking doctors' backgrounds"

Your December 2 article, "California case shows need for checking doctors'
backgrounds," and the related television reports it has spawned, unfairly
implied that osteopathic physicians (D.O.s) are somehow inferior to M.D.s in
training and regulation.

In the article you state, "Osteopaths have different training than medical
doctors but are treated the same under California law." D.O.s are treated
the same under California law and across the United States because D.O.s,
like M.D.s, are complete physicians who can prescribe medicine and practice
in all specialty areas including surgery. In fact, D.O.s must complete
additional training in osteopathic manipulative treatment and are taught to
consider the health of the whole person as opposed to simply looking at the
symptoms. Therefore, the major differences between D.O.s and M.D.s lie in
philosophies--not in education or expertise.

Your article also points out there were "about 700,000 doctors including
osteopaths, practicing in the United States last year." This is a
repetitive statement. Osteopathic physicians (the preferred terminology over
osteopaths) are fully licensed physicians who work side-by-side with
M.D.s--there is no reason to distinguish the two when calculating the number
of total physicians in the country.

It is common practice in the media to create a disconnect between D.O.s and
M.D.s when any wrongdoing is involved. While we encourage you to promote
our osteopathic distinctiveness, we want to see it done in all
circumstances--both good and bad.

When you follow-up on this story, please clarify the inaccuracies
perpetuated by CNN thus far and take note of future portrayals of this
unique branch of the medical profession.

Sincerely,

Philip L. Shettle, D.O.
AOA President

Members don't see this ad.

Good for Dr. Shettle!

:thumbup:

Dr. Shettle said:
In fact, D.O.s must complete additional training in osteopathic manipulative treatment and are taught to consider the health of the whole person as opposed to simply looking at the symptoms.

I'm so tired of this old line. Osteopathic physicians are not the only ones that consider the health of the whole person, and allopathic physicians do not just look at symptoms. This is derisive and only serves to create a false schism between two branches of medicine that are more similar than they are distinct.

I applaud Dr. Shettle for stepping up to the plate and writing CNN (I encourage all of you to do so, as well as writing the Cali Osteopathic medical board about this slime-ball), but if he is going to set the record straight, he should do it correctly and not try to make us more different than we are.

Medicine is now governed by best-practices guidelines, not individual philosophies. All this philosophical BS is just that - BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
DeLaughterDO said:
I'm so tired of this old line. Osteopathic physicians are not the only ones that consider the health of the whole person, and allopathic physicians do not just look at symptoms. This is derisive and only serves to create a false schism between two branches of medicine that are more similar than they are distinct.

I applaud Dr. Shettle for stepping up to the plate and writing CNN (I encourage all of you to do so, as well as writing the Cali Osteopathic medical board about this slime-ball), but if he is going to set the record straight, he should do it correctly and not try to make us more different than we are.

Medicine is now governed by best-practices guidelines, not individual philosophies. All this philosophical BS is just that - BS.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

DeLaughterDO said:

Very well stated, good work. :thumbup:

D.O.s must complete additional training in osteopathic manipulative treatment and are taught to
consider the health of the whole person as opposed to simply looking at the symptoms. Therefore, the major differences between D.O.s and M.D.s lie in
philosophies--not in education or expertise.
WHY?!?!?!
why do they ALWAYS have to do this...
although i admire him for taking a stand, why do we have to try and offend every MD reading this article...
When are they going to learn that the better/more-than-you...I-treat-people-not-just-symptoms crap is doing much more harm than good!!!
Just like the author of this terribly written article, Dr. Shettle makes a back-handed insult at PHYSICIANS who treat their patients as people (and yes, MD's can do that too)
just say we are the same...period...don't anticipate being respected when you are disrespectful!

so here is my participation sent to CNN (so i don't sound like i'm just complaining about our professions lack of tact, class, and professionalism)...

Having three reporters Ted Rowlands, David Williams and Michael Squadron contributing to the report titled: California case shows need for checking doctors' backgrounds - I would have expected less inaccuracies. While the actions of this doctor (and I use this term reluctantly) are truly unacceptable and inappropriate, what does that have to do with his degree? The DO and MD degrees are viewed as equal in the government, the military, and the American Medical Association (H-405.989 states that it is AMA policy to refer only to Doctors of Medicine (MD’s) and Doctors of Osteopathy (DO’s) as “physicians and surgeons” equal in training, scope, and practice).
If the point of the article is that the California Osteopathic Medical Board did not do enough to stop this doctor from practicing, take that angle and run with it. But don't question the integrity of a medical degree based on the senseless acts of a man who should not be allowed to practice medicine.

jhug said:
so here is my participation sent to CNN (so i don't sound like i'm just complaining about our professions lack of tact, class, and professionalism)...

Having three reporters Ted Rowlands, David Williams and Michael Squadron contributing to the report titled: California case shows need for checking doctors' backgrounds - I would have expected less inaccuracies. While the actions of this doctor (and I use this term reluctantly) are truly unacceptable and inappropriate, what does that have to do with his degree? The DO and MD degrees are viewed as equal in the government, the military, and the American Medical Association (H-405.989 states that it is AMA policy to refer only to Doctors of Medicine (MD’s) and Doctors of Osteopathy (DO’s) as “physicians and surgeons” equal in training, scope, and practice).
If the point of the article is that the California Osteopathic Medical Board did not do enough to stop this doctor from practicing, take that angle and run with it. But don't question the integrity of a medical degree based on the senseless acts of a man who should not be allowed to practice medicine.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

DeLaughterDO said:

:clap:

Of course, we just had one of the clubs at our school have a guy speak who claims that his prostate cancer was cured by Hoxsey therapy at a clinic in Tijuana, Mexico. Apparently, some percentage of us would be happier seeing druids than doctors.

jhug said:
WHY?!?!?!
although i admire him for taking a stand, why do we have to try and offend every MD reading this article...
When are they going to learn that the better/more-than-you...I-treat-people-not-just-symptoms crap is doing much more harm than good!!!
Just like the author of this terribly written article, Dr. Shettle makes a back-handed insult at PHYSICIANS who treat their patients as people (and yes, MD's can do that too)
just say we are the same...period...don't anticipate being respected when you are disrespectful!

:thumbup:

i'm in the minority because i really enjoyed dr. shettle's response. i think he implied that both doctors are well trained, good doctors. however, osteopathic schools have a different educational philosophy, which they do. if there truly is no difference between the two, we really should merge all the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
jhug said:
WHY?!?!?!

why would be assume md's would be so overly sensitive as to be offended by the letter? honestly, i don't think md's care enough about what do's say about the difference between the two to be offended.

It's just that it's inaccurate to say DOs treat the person and MDs the symptoms. At any program I've been involved with MD or DO they proclaim the same "philosophy." The only difference I've found, other than the average test scores and GPA, is the OMM training.

why would be assume md's would be so overly sensitive as to be offended by the letter?
i don't know...there is something about the i-know-more-than-you and the i-treat-patients-better-than-you attitude that for some reason seems offensive...i still can't put my finger on why...

exlawgrrl said:
why would be assume md's would be so overly sensitive as to be offended by the letter? honestly, i don't think md's care enough about what do's say about the difference between the two to be offended.

Actually, this was an issue at the AMA meeting in Dallas this past November at a forum entitled 'MD/DO - the two sides of the coin'. The allopathic students that asked me about it were certainly NOT being antagonistic. They simply wanted to know if the osteopathic students believed that the allopathic students (of this generation) were not being trained to consider the 'whole patient'.

If the allopaths are willing embrace our talents, then I think we should take it easy with our holier-than-thou attitude.

the reply to CNN was a good idea.

Click the following.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/12/02/doctors.records/?section=cnn_latest

I can understand if this was a blatant attack on DOs, but I think that Dr Shettle's letter was a poorly aimed overkill. CNN didn't bash DOs or anything. They just stated the story and facts.

There are plenty of times when the MD licesning organizations have screwed up big time too. There are bad MDs too folks. Surely there would be bad DOs out there too. And here's one of em.

And if your a sexual predator like this fellow then you deserve to be executed by firing squad Utah style.

I just watched the movie clip/link that CNN has on the story's webiste.

That guy needs to be put behind bars quick.

If DOs want to salvage thier image in this situation, then the California Osteopathic Medical Association needs to destroy this guys ability to practice.

Complaining to CNN won't do a bloody thing cause CNN is rightfully taking up the complaints of abuse that those women went through.

We should be writing to the California Osteopathic Association for this not CNN.

If you still think that CNN goofed, then click on the movie link. He looks like some sick pyscho.

CatsandCradles said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/12/02/doctors.records/?section=cnn_latest

I can understand if this was a blatant attack on DOs, but I think that Dr Shettle's letter was an overkill. CNN didn't bash DOs or anything. They just stated the story and facts.

There are plenty of times when the MD licesning organizations have screwed up big time too. There are bad MDs too folks. Surely there would be bad DOs out there too. And here's one of em.

And if your a sexual predator like this fellow then you deserve to be executed by firing squad Utah style.

I don't think Dr. Shettle and others' complaints rest with the idea that CNN made any mistakes or bashed DOs, but with the fact that they made the distinction in the article that this physician was an "osteopath" when that fact is irrelevant to the case. To some, implicit in that distinction is the suggestion that the fact that he is an osteopathic physician is somehow related to the other facts of the case, specifically that he is an awful doctor not to mention person. The argument is that if the doctor were an MD, the article would make no mention of the fact that he was an "allopathic" physician and so forth.

It seems every time an article is written about a DO in trouble, such a distinction is made. It's sort of like an article saying "John Doe, a black man, was arrested for murder on Thursday. African Americans have a different racial heritage than Caucasians, but are treated the same under the law." It's completely irrelevant and sheds an unnecessary bad light on a segment of the population, or in this case, profession of medicine.

(nicedream) said:
I don't think Dr. Shettle and others' complaints rest with the idea that CNN made any mistakes or bashed DOs, but with the fact that they made the distinction in the article that this physician was an "osteopath" when that fact is irrelevant to the case. To some, implicit in that distinction is the suggestion that the fact that he is an osteopathic physician is somehow related to the other facts of the case, specifically that he is an awful doctor not to mention person. The argument is that if the doctor were an MD, the article would make no mention of the fact that he was an "allopathic" physician and so forth.

It seems every time an article is written about a DO in trouble, such a distinction is made. It's sort of like an article saying "John Doe, a black man, was arrested for murder on Thursday. African Americans have a different racial heritage than Caucasians, but are treated the same under the law." It's completely irrelevent and sheds an unnecessary bad light on a segment of the population, or in this case, profession of medicine.

Good reply. I see the angle of the argument much more clearly after reading your post.

I dare say that your response to me was better than Dr. Shettle's.

(nicedream) said:
It seems every time an article is written about a DO in trouble, such a distinction is made. It's sort of like an article saying "John Doe, a black man, was arrested for murder on Thursday. African Americans have a different racial heritage than Caucasians, but are treated the same under the law." It's completely irrelevent and sheds an unnecessary bad light on a segment of the population, or in this case, profession of medicine.

nice.... I think they should begin reporting the news this way!

I got a good laugh out of this one..

(nicedream) said:

It seems every time an article is written about a DO in trouble, such a distinction is made. It's sort of like an article saying "John Doe, a black man, was arrested for murder on Thursday. African Americans have a different racial heritage than Caucasians, but are treated the same under the law." It's completely irrelevant and sheds an unnecessary bad light on a segment of the population, or in this case, profession of medicine.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

"...according to documents on file with the California Osteopathic Medical Board -- which regulates osteopaths but not medical doctors. Osteopaths have different training than medical doctors but are treated the same under California law."

Don't really like how they worded that. And totally agree with the nicedream and also the need to drop the "treat the whole patient" thing. Just what I think... Cheers

DODO said:
"...according to documents on file with the California Osteopathic Medical Board -- which regulates osteopaths but not medical doctors. Osteopaths have different training than medical doctors but are treated the same under California law."

Don't really like how they worded that. And totally agree with the nicedream and also the need to drop the "treat the whole patient" thing. Just what I think... Cheers
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. They make it sound like "Osteopaths" are completely underqualified compared to MD's, yet somehow slip thru a loophole in the law to be allowed to practice.

so let me get this straight...the guys who wrote this article went to the cali osteopathic people and quoted them directly...and that's got us all up in arms?!?!

No wonder! Boy, we (collectively as DO's) really bring this on ourselves!!! I was thinking...the statement (made by the authors of the article) sounds stupid enough it's something the AOA could have said...
lo and behold, i wasn't that far off!