AOA required rotating internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of this before? I was looking into ob/gyn match statistics, and somehow ended up at UF's program's website. I noticed a portion under their 'application process' section that says this:
  • DO students who ultimately wish to practice in Florida must have already completed their AOA-required rotating internship. Our residency curriculum does not fulfill this requirement, set by the Florida Board of Medicine in order to obtain a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine license in this state.

What does this mean?? I've never heard of this before; I looked at FL's Board of Osteopathic Medicine website and to apply for licensure, it says the following: "Successful completion of a 12-month rotating internship approved by the AOA or successful completion of a residency approved by the Board upon a showing of good cause by the applicant (see Rule 64B15-16.002, F.A.C.)."

How is it possible that a residency program doesn't meet this requirement? Is this common? Not sure what to make of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? I was looking into ob/gyn match statistics, and somehow ended up at UF's program's website. I noticed a portion under their 'application process' section that says this:
  • DO students who ultimately wish to practice in Florida must have already completed their AOA-required rotating internship. Our residency curriculum does not fulfill this requirement, set by the Florida Board of Medicine in order to obtain a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine license in this state.

What does this mean?? I've never heard of this before; I looked at FL's Board of Osteopathic Medicine website and to apply for licensure, it says the following: "Successful completion of a 12-month rotating internship approved by the AOA or successful completion of a residency approved by the Board upon a showing of good cause by the applicant (see Rule 64B15-16.002, F.A.C.)."

How is it possible that a residency program doesn't meet this requirement? Is this common? Not sure what to make of this.
You can still meet it by applying for an exemption while in residency. Its only 2 states that still have it, and I imagine it will die completely due to the merger. There was a thread on it years ago, but its a legacy law.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There are a handful of states that have these conditions, though I think a couple have dropped them due to the merger. From the AOA website:

"What is the status of needing to apply for AOA recognition of ACGME PGY 1 intern year in order to be licensed in Pennsylvania and Florida?

The AOA has a mechanism for DOs to have their ACGME PGY 1 training recognized as AOA approved, which is sometimes referred to as Resolution 42. This will remain available for the foreseeable future for DOs completing, or who have already completed, ACGME training seeking licensure in in states that require an AOA approved first year of training."

Check out this page for more info: https://osteopathic.org/residents/recognition-of-training/aoa-recognition-of-acgme-pgy1-year/

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The AOA has a mechanism for DOs to have their ACGME PGY 1 training recognized as AOA approved, which is sometimes referred to as Resolution 42. This will remain available for the foreseeable future for DOs completing, or who have already completed, ACGME training seeking licensure in in states that require an AOA approved first year of training."
Thanks for this info! But if the program is specifically stating that their program doesn't meet the requirements, does that basically make DOs ineligible? I've never seen this stated on any other program's page, so I'm just assuming their program somehow doesn't meet the AOA's requirements?

Thanks for this info! But if the program is specifically stating that their program doesn't meet the requirements, does that basically make DOs ineligible? I've never seen this stated on any other program's page, so I'm just assuming their program somehow doesn't meet the AOA's requirements?
That's a good question, and one for which I do not have an answer. Your best bet might be to contact UF directly. That part might be outdated, or it may be a helpful warning.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that any ACGME meets the requirement as long as you go and do a poster at an osteopathic convention or something to that regard. I wouldn't avoid training at UF about this.

Here we go:
"If you completed your first year of residency in an ACGME-accredited program and plan to obtain AOA board certification or practice in Pennsylvania or Florida, you’ll need to obtain AOA training recognition. You can obtain recognition anytime after you’ve completed your first year of residency (PGY1).

There are 4 steps in the process:

• Ask your ACGME-accredited residency program to submit a verification letter listing your PGY1 core rotations.

• Participate in an osteopathic educational activity."
https://osteopathic.org/residents/recognition-of-training/aoa-recognition-of-acgme-pgy1-year/

If you click on the verification letter, its example of osteopathic education is giving your residents a lecture on Osteopathic medicine in x specialty.

Last edited:
I've been under the impression that TRIs will be phased out by the time we graduate, so you'd think there will be grounds for an exemption since we literally won't have the option available.

Scary that they thought this way. Despite the merger, it seems like schools are not doing enough to improve GME and looking far too often at expanding class sizes and branch campuses. I would be curious to hear more about the current state and future of GME for osteopathic graduates. I doubt anyone will give a truly honest opinion.
Some schools do try to open new GMEs. Probably not at the same rate as they are opening new spots for students. Which makes me think at some point only osteopathic schools with sponsored residency programs will do well in the match. My school which is pretty new has been trying set their own GME in our state, and in the links below you can read what they have plan so far. Now, we can only speculate and hope for a good future post-merger.

CHI St. Vincent Hot Springs Announces Residency Program

ARCOM gains accreditation for residency, fellowship programs - Talk Business & Politics

Last edited:
OP is a first year student IIRC. She probably doesn't need to worry about this. Surely Resolution 42 won't need to be a thing by the time she matches. I sure hope so.

OP is a first year student IIRC. She probably doesn't need to worry about this. Surely Resolution 42 won't need to be a thing by the time she matches. I sure hope so.
Yep, I'm a first year. Was just really curious as I'd never heard of this before.

Some schools do try to open new GMEs. Probably not at the same rate as they are opening new spots for students. Which makes me think at some point only osteopathic schools with sponsored residency programs will do well in the match. My school which is pretty new has been trying set their own GME in our state, and in the links below you can read what they have plan so far. Now, we can only speculate and hope for a good future post-merger.

CHI St. Vincent Hot Springs Announces Residency Program

ARCOM gains accreditation for residency, fellowship programs - Talk Business & Politics
I have a friend at ARCOM, and he has been telling me about this. I think its a good deal if they come through with it. If ARCOM can avoid the pitfalls (i.e. allowing the wrong administrators to do what they want to the demerit of the students) then they can be a solid DO school. They are still having that fight tho, we will see how it pans out. That whole ranking the core site thing (and then changing how the sites where assigned after people ranked) and trying to force the students to take the comlex in may after saying end of june, was bad. Luckily those both seem to have worked out. We will see what the new dean does.

Last edited:
I have a friend at ARCOM, and he has been telling me about this. I think its a good deal if they come through with it. If ARCOM can't avoid the pitfalls (i.e. allowing the wrong administrators to do what they want to the demerit of the students) then they can be a solid DO school. They are still having that fight tho, we will see how it pans out. That whole ranking the core site thing (and then changing how the sites where assigned after people ranked) and trying to force the students to take the comlex in may after saying end of june, was bad. Luckily those both seem to have worked out. We will see what the new dean does.
I'm just a first year, but yea there is a real possibility that we can become a solid program if everything works out. I heard about the change made in the way they are assigning the core sites, but I think they had good reasons to do so though. Many people were not getting their top ranked sites because most of them were ranking the same sites, so admin decided to add a few factors into it like GPA and family/support reasons. It's still gonna be a ranked system though, but if your GPA is high and you got a good reason to wanna be at a particular area, you're gonna be more likely to get one of your top sites. Our rotation sites seems to be decent though (except maybe for 1 or 2 of them), so I wouldn't worry about being at any of them. I didn't know about them being forced to take COMLEX in May which would kinda suck if that's true. I'd have to ask some of my second year friends about that. However, I think OMS2s get done on April 10, so they would still have close to 2 months of dedicated time to study. When it comes to admin, for now I really can't say how I feel about the decisions they've been taking because none of them have affected me that much yet, so maybe when I'm an OMS2, I'll have more to say lol.

Last edited:
I'm just a first year, but yea there is a real possibility that we can become a solid program if everything works out. I heard about the change made in the way they are assigning the core sites, but I think they had good reasons to do so though. Many people were not getting their top ranked sites because most of them were ranking the same sites, so admin decided to add a few factors into it like GPA and family/support reasons. It's still gonna be a ranked system though, but if your GPA is high and you got a good reason to wanna be at a particular area, you're gonna be more likely to get one of your top sites. Our rotation sites seems to be decent though (except maybe for 1 or 2 of them), so I wouldn't worry about being at any of them. I didn't know about them being forced to take COMLEX in May which would kinda suck if that's true. I'd have to ask some of my second year friends about that. However, I think OMS2s get done on April 10, so they would still have close to 2 months of dedicated time to study. When it comes to admin, for now I really can't say how I feel about the decisions they've been taking because none of them have affected me that much yet, so maybe when I'm an OMS2, I'll have more to say lol.
They changed it back after your second years raised hell. But watch out for them to try and do it to your class. When admin gets a bad idea and that admin is still there, I am sure he will try again. My school did something similar.

They changed it back after your second years raised hell. But watch out for them to try and do it to your class. When admin gets a bad idea and that admin is still there, I am sure he will try again. My school did something similar.
ABSOLUTELY TRUE. One track minded POS

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. One track minded POS

Not surprising to know that the clown show continues at the preclinical level.

Third year is pretty much hands off and it’s so much better. It’s pretty much go to work, be cool w the staff and your preceptors, and do well on your month end COMAT.

I have time to personally do about 600-800 ANKI cards a day, go to the gym for about 1.5 - 2 hrs, and watch football or basketball games every night.

Third year is pretty much hands off and it’s so much better. It’s pretty much go to work, be cool w the staff and your preceptors, and do well on your month end COMAT.

I have time to personally do about 600-800 ANKI cards a day, go to the gym for about 1.5 - 2 hrs, and watch football or basketball games every night.
As someone who worked hard before school, the first two years of book learning have been easy in comparison. My only job is to sit around and study lol. That said, pretty much 99% of my frustration and ire is directed toward the school getting in the way of my education. Despite all the "3rd year sucks" threads on reddit/SDN, I cannot imagine it being worse than mandatory attendance and ****ty admin who actively sabotage students. I can handle long hours, subjective grading, and really snarky staff. We will see.

The fact that this is 1.5 years away is what keeps me going lol

So I asked a friend of mine in second year, and he said they are not required to take the COMLEX until the week before the last week of June (NOT May), and then they start rotations in July. They get done with classes on April 10th, so they have a good amount of time (more than 2 months) to prepare. Maybe that was also a case of them raising hell to admin after suggesting it lol.

So I asked a friend of mine in second year, and he said they are not required to take the COMLEX until the week before the last week of June (NOT May), and then they start rotations in July. They get done with classes on April 10th, so they have a good amount of time (more than 2 months) to prepare. Maybe that was also a case of them raising hell to admin after suggesting it lol.
Yes they got it changed back after raising hell as I stated above. But my main point is that the admin who had the brilliant idea to change it to may, is still at your school and will probably try to do it again. If you don't push back hard you will end up getting the shaft.