AOA, School Reputation and Peds Residencies?

Started by 2050vlsb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2050vlsb

bleed blue and gold
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm currently a medical student and possibly interested in pursuing a career in peds. I was recently chatting with an upperclassman about matching and residencies and there were a few things I was hoping to get some feedback on.

I'm currently in school in the midwest, but originally from the SF Bay Area. While I'm sure I could be happy anywhere in California, I'd love to be able to match at a place like Stanford or UCSF.

Given how high caliber both of these institutions are, I'm wondering how much AOA and where you went to med school/med school reputation are for peds residencies? How important is it to be AOA if your end goal is to match at places like these? I know peds is a little less competitive than some of the other specialties, but I've also heard at big name places like these, it can get extremely competitive. And looking at housestaff lists on websites, it seems like almost everyone comes from the same top-tier programs.

If anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate it! Thanks so much!