AOA status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broadbasedbud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of programs that actually screen based on AOA status? Perhaps I am just bitter because I will not be AOA but it does not seem like a good way to screen b/c the acceptance criteria are different for each school. If you feel comfortable, program names would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

University of Arkansas
Baylor
Texas AM
Colorado

Members don't see this ad :)
Alpha-Omega-Alpha

It's a medical honorary society that many medical schools induct their top students into.

Doc84,

How do you know that? It seems very foolish for schools to screen via AOA status considering some of the top medical schools in the nation dont even hav AOA chapters. Stanford doesn't. Are you telling me Texas A&M automatically denies any applicant from Stanford?

some schools really do. and some only consider top-40 med schools, some use step scores. at my program, we screen based on the numerical scrabble score of your last name. just kidding about that last part. probably.

You have a lot of Indians at your school, don't you, werd?

Apu Nahasapeemapetilon = 32 points
Dr. Jujjavarapu = 47 points
John Smith = 10 points
John Kim = 10 points
John Tung = 8 points

There is a clear advantage there...

And top 40 according to who? Mayo's US News research ranking is "unranked" b/c they didn't submit any info to US news. So everyone from Mayo gets an auto rejection. That is really really stupid if true.

According to who? This guy, of course!

dees.jpg

Who else? :rolleyes:

Lizzy Wurtzel; And top 40 according to who? Mayo's US News research ranking is "unranked" b/c they didn't submit any info to US news. So everyone from Mayo gets an auto rejection. That is really really stupid if true.[/QUOTE said:
i've heard program directors talk about filtering out applications that aren't top-40 schools, but i don't know where the data come from. potentially it's just a loose term based on the opinion of the person/program involved.

Sorry reviving an old thread.

Our school only decides AOA for seniors later in the year. What if we didn't receive junior AOA-are we going to be automatically screened out?

Sorry reviving an old thread.

Our school only decides AOA for seniors later in the year. What if we didn't receive junior AOA-are we going to be automatically screened out?

Ok, so the admissions process is geared toward balancing time commitment and missing out on great applicants. "A high board score and AOA guarantees not a great dermatologist". However no matter how bitter you may get to hear it, places will use some sort of a filter. No filter is absolute.

No program follows anything to a T...know why?...because connections matter a lot more than anything else. If you have a connection then you can shove all that filtration mumbo-jumbo where the sun don't shine.

Some schools filter based on geography, some on AOA, some on board scores, some on how many pimples are visible on your photo, etc.

There is a lot of subjectivity but that's nothing special to derm...most of life in the real world is subjective and so that's the game. You're going to see reasonable people but you're also going to get instances with ridiculous criteria. Just do your best when you apply. The biggest filters that I've seen are pretty much the board score (Step 1) and pimples on your submitted photo. Just kidding about the pimples...

The number that automatically screen out non-AOA members are few and, again, it's not absolute because there are other factors like your research record, connections, whether you did an away rotation there, etc.

There are also a few schools that don't have AOA status at their school (Harvard, Stanford come to mind). So clearly, these students are still considered.

Ok, so the admissions process is geared toward balancing time commitment and missing out on great applicants. "A high board score and AOA guarantees not a great dermatologist". However no matter how bitter you may get to hear it, places will use some sort of a filter. No filter is absolute.

No program follows anything to a T...know why?...because connections matter a lot more than anything else. If you have a connection then you can shove all that filtration mumbo-jumbo where the sun don't shine.

Some schools filter based on geography, some on AOA, some on board scores, some on how many pimples are visible on your photo, etc.

There is a lot of subjectivity but that's nothing special to derm...most of life in the real world is subjective and so that's the game. You're going to see reasonable people but you're also going to get instances with ridiculous criteria. Just do your best when you apply. The biggest filters that I've seen are pretty much the board score (Step 1) and pimples on your submitted photo. Just kidding about the pimples...

The number that automatically screen out non-AOA members are few and, again, it's not absolute because there are other factors like your research record, connections, whether you did an away rotation there, etc.

Is number of pimples a positive or negative contributor? My school photographer photoshopped my face to make it look nice and clean... I am trying to figure out if I should track him down and thank him or spit on him...

Is number of pimples a positive or negative contributor? My school photographer photoshopped my face to make it look nice and clean... I am trying to figure out if I should track him down and thank him or spit on him...

thank him while spittting on him.