AOA TRI 2016-2017 prior to ACGME PM&R

Started by Zline
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Zline

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tl;dr: AOA TRIs fulfill requirements for PGY-1 year for advanced ACGME PM&R programs.

To those of you who are osteopaths applying for advanced spots in PM&R this year and PGY-1s starting next summer, I emailed Caroline Fischer (exec director for PM&R accreditation) about this because there has been some confusion about whether or not an AOA TRI is an accepted PGY-1 prior to matriculating into an ACGME PM&R program, primarily due to the failed merger, shifting requirements, and different specialities having different requirements for internship. Many PM&R program directors and coordinators believe it's okay, but none seemed 100% sure, so I went ahead and emailed her. Her response:

"We have extended the transition period in which programs may accept graduates of AOA-approved internships to 2017. So if you start an AOA-approved internship program in 2016, that will meet the eligibility expectations of the RC to start an ACGME-accredited PM&R residency in 2017."

Hope that helps.
Caroline

Caroline Fischer. MBA
Executive Director, Review Committees for
Pediatrics and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
515 N. State Street, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60654
312-755-5046
[email protected]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can only apply to those if you are a DO correct? Are they open to MD students? I thought the merger allows everyone to apply for those or am I wrong? I heard from a friend that some of these positions are pretty nice.
 
You can only apply to those if you are a DO correct? Are they open to MD students? I thought the merger allows everyone to apply for those or am I wrong? I heard from a friend that some of these positions are pretty nice.

That is correct. They are only open to osteopathic physicians.
 
Thanks for the info, that's reassuring!

You can only apply to those if you are a DO correct? Are they open to MD students? I thought the merger allows everyone to apply for those or am I wrong? I heard from a friend that some of these positions are pretty nice.

A handful of the TRI programs are already dually accredited (AOA and ACGME), so presumably you could apply to them as an MD through the ACGME match.

To fellow DO applicants that are going on TRI interviews -- how are you going to approach ranking TRI programs when the AOA match takes place a month earlier than the ACGME match? If you rank a TRI program, that basically disqualifies you from matching into a categorical PM&R program in the ACGME match, right? It's tricky because the majority of PM&R positions are advanced and TY/pre-lim interviews can be harder to come by than TRI interviews...
 
Thanks for the info, that's reassuring!



A handful of the TRI programs are already dually accredited (AOA and ACGME), so presumably you could apply to them as an MD through the ACGME match.

To fellow DO applicants that are going on TRI interviews -- how are you going to approach ranking TRI programs when the AOA match takes place a month earlier than the ACGME match? If you rank a TRI program, that basically disqualifies you from matching into a categorical PM&R program in the ACGME match, right? It's tricky because the majority of PM&R positions are advanced and TY/pre-lim interviews can be harder to come by than TRI interviews...

Yes, right, thanks for clarifying. I'm only interviewing at/ranking dually-accredited TRIs. I figure if worse comes to worst and I match advanced but no prelim year, I can always scramble for a TRI in the spring. They're not too hard to come by, and given that all AOA TRIs are acceptable PGY-1s for ACGME PM&R programs, it seems like a pretty solid fall-back plan.
 
I've noticed lots of programs websites/literature say they require an ACGME accredited PGY-1. If the PM&R accrediting body allows AOA TRI programs, then are PM&R programs required to allow an AOA intern year or do they have the right to mandate an ACGME intern year, regardless?
 
I've noticed lots of programs websites/literature say they require an ACGME accredited PGY-1. If the PM&R accrediting body allows AOA TRI programs, then are PM&R programs required to allow an AOA intern year or do they have the right to mandate an ACGME intern year, regardless?

This is a good point. I emailed Ms. Fischer to clarify. Her response:

"Yes, each program can set its own stricter eligibility requirements and can therefore require completion of an ACGME-accredited internship. It’s a conversation you should have with each program you’re interested in applying to. Some may not accept previous AOA-approved training, others may still be confused if it is allowed. If it’s the later feel free to refer them to me or share our e-mail exchange with them."


Caroline

Caroline Fischer, MBA
Executive Director, Review Committees for
Pediatrics and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
515 N. State Street, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60654
312-755-5046
 
bump! Anyone have any opinions on the open post match TRI? like in Manchester, CT or the NY programs? http://cf.osteopathic.org/aoapostmatch/students/index.cfm

I interviewed at the Coney Island program this year. Probably would have ended up there for TRI had I not ended up matching categorical, mainly just to live in Brooklyn for a year. The PD was really nice, made it seem like it was a pretty chill year if you wanted it to be. The other resident that was there pretty much said the same thing but you can learn plenty if you so choose. Very diverse population in the immediate area, lots of Russians apparently. It is an NYC hospital so faculties were just OK. A majority of the programs are mostly IMG/FMG, I think there are 5 AOA IM spots every year.
 
I interviewed at the Coney Island program this year. Probably would have ended up there for TRI had I not ended up matching categorical, mainly just to live in Brooklyn for a year. The PD was really nice, made it seem like it was a pretty chill year if you wanted it to be. The other resident that was there pretty much said the same thing but you can learn plenty if you so choose. Very diverse population in the immediate area, lots of Russians apparently. It is an NYC hospital so faculties were just OK. A majority of the programs are mostly IMG/FMG, I think there are 5 AOA IM spots every year.
Thanks for the info! Oceanside and Riverside are the only NY ones left currently. But I'll keep an eye open for the Coney Island one too! Congrats on your match!