AOS about to begin court process against ABO:

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
American Optometry Society in litigation against American Board of Optometry. Issue is with board certification and how the AOA went against the majority of OD's who voiced their opinion not to have a board certification.
Folks, this is dividing out profession. Look at what's going on.
How many of you have been members of the AOA and your local state association and have paid your dues/fees for 5-10-15-20-25 etc....years.
Does the AOA really support and respect the voices of all 36-40,000 OD's?
Does our opinion matter to them in any account?
From 16 schools of Optometry plus PR we are now 20. 2 more are in process of opening up soon. Why?

Does the AOA really care about its members? Us -licensed OD's or is there another agenda hidden by the higher ups?

I love my profession but it disgusts me with all this going on.
There are thousands of OD's across the nation that are fed up with the AOA.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone knows this and it must stop. There are just too many optometry schools, it is so EASY to get into optometry school. It is quite embarrassing to be honest. Standards of applicants are being lowered, tuition are increasing, and salaries are decreasing. Those are not opinions but facts.

American Optometry Society in litigation against American Board of Optometry. Issue is with board certification and how the AOA went against the majority of OD's who voiced their opinion not to have a board certification.
Folks, this is dividing out profession. Look at what's going on.
How many of you have been members of the AOA and your local state association and have paid your dues/fees for 5-10-15-20-25 etc....years.
Does the AOA really support and respect the voices of all 36-40,000 OD's?
Does our opinion matter to them in any account?
From 16 schools of Optometry plus PR we are now 20. 2 more are in process of opening up soon. Why?

Does the AOA really care about its members? Us -licensed OD's or is there another agenda hidden by the higher ups?

I love my profession but it disgusts me with all this going on.
There are thousands of OD's across the nation that are fed up with the AOA.

Any opinions?

If you follow the money trail, the AOA's behavior can be pretty well explained. It all goes to who's supplying them with funding. There are logos for Luxottica, Marchon, VSP, etc all over the AOA site. They provide funding for all kinds of AOA activity while OD membership is at pathetic levels. So....

Question

Who stands to gain from additional OD programs?

Answer

1st: The schools themselves - to the tune of hundreds of millions of tuition dollars.
2nd: Corporate optometry - thousands of newbie ODs with nowhere else to go, helping to further grow their side of the profession.
3rd: The AOA - more corporate optometry = more money to the AOA from corporate sponsors.

The AOA accepted the corporate takeover of optometry a long time ago and now they're embracing it. They have no incentive to squash new OD programs because that would indirectly squash corporate optometry, slowin' down the cash flow. With the new schools, everyone wins, except practicing ODs, especially new ones. Follow the cash trail and you'll see where the problem is.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone knows this and it must stop. There are just too many optometry schools, it is so EASY to get into optometry school. It is quite embarrassing to be honest. Standards of applicants are being lowered, tuition are increasing, and salaries are decreasing. Those are not opinions but facts.

People are getting in with 2.6's 2.8's wtf is going on?

And another school in Massachusetts? WHY?! Can't even treat glaucoma there! There are ~40 other states with no optometry schools. WHAT THE HELL IS THE PURPOSE OF IT? I swear I believe they are being payed off by OMD's or opticians or somebody. This is unreal.

And another school in Massachusetts? WHY?! Can't even treat glaucoma there! There are ~40 other states with no optometry schools. WHAT THE HELL IS THE PURPOSE OF IT? I swear I believe they are being payed off by OMD's or opticians or somebody. This is unreal.

Simmer down shnurek.

This shouldn't be a concern for you since you want to go rural. :D

Simmer down shnurek.

This shouldn't be a concern for you since you want to go rural. :D

It affects every current and future optometrist in some manner, stfu.

It affects every current and future optometrist in some manner, stfu.

84948f757746ebc2.jpg

LOL.

It is so sad. I have been accepted to multiple schools with scholarships, does that make me proud hell no. Why? because this profession has been flooded and has lost most of its respect. It has been labelled as profession of "medical school rejects." It makes me sick to my stomach. And it is only getting worse, more schools on the way. And why do some school have 160 seats that is complete nonsense. We only check eyes people. There is no need for these many ODs. I am sure these corporate optical giants are paying to kill our profession, and doing mighty good job of it. Dam you corrupt AOA!..........More I think about this more depressed I get. I should probably see my doctor and get some medication or start drinking more:laugh: