AOTA membership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was considering getting a membership to AOTA and was curious to see if other students will be doing so. I know that some programs require that their students have a membership but I don't believe that mine will. It will only be 75 dollars per year for students but with all of these upcoming expenses I want to save money where possible. Do any current or incoming students have any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know most OT students are members. A couple schools I talked to even paid for their students' memberships.

My school encourages us to be members and faculty was willing to even help students out. Some schools like MUSC included AOTA membership in tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is worth it to be the AOTA member because there will be research projects when you need peer-reviewed OT articles. Also, the OT Practice Framework is on there for free, and that will be one of the texts you need to buy for $40. So, get AOTA. It is your future professional field - dive in.

I completely agree with above. UTMB encourages membership, but doesn't require it. However, AOTA works on a number of things relating to keeping our jobs in tact, so I firmly believe you should start the habit now of supporting them. If AOTA had the support from OT's that APTA had from PTs, I think we'd be in a MUCH better position!

I def want to be a member I plan to get it as soon as I start here this fall! Lots of good information on AOTA I want to stay current in my career.

Is there any way to join as a member before you are admitted to a school? I thought they might have useful info for me while applying. Like reading research papers by professors at the schools I am interested in. And I'd like to read the AOTA Framework and not have to buy it.