AP books suffice?

Started by busyizzy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

busyizzy

lalala~
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard that the bio and chem sections tested were fairly basic college level, so if I studied from the AP bio and chem books, would that be sufficient (minus the ochem for chem) for the level tested on the PCAT, or is the material tested for on the PCAT harder than AP-level? I know technically that AP is for high schoolers, but since it's generally the same material taught in the first year course in colleges, I thought it could be okay. I browsed the forum earlier, but couldn't find anything about anyone using AP books. Is it cuz they're too easy for the PCAT? Thanks a lot!
 
Having done a couple practice PCAT exams, I've noticed the best way to prepare for this exam is to do practice problems and know why you got certain question wrong and focus on improving on your weaknesses.

AP science and math books or any review books will help you recall and review information you might have forgotten.

At the same time, keep in mind, PCAT tests basic information that may seem easy but under a time constraint, many test takers find it hard to finish on time.

So, I recommend doing the practice problems under time setting (like the real exam). Look over what type of question you got wrong; most likely those topics are the ones you need more review on. Then, go into a review book and re-familiarize yourself with the information.

I hope this helps
 
Completely agree with Transformer.

Rather than going through an entire book for Bio or Chem, it might be easier to spend $50 and review a book which condenses the material down. Just my opinion. But material wise, yes....you will be fine with those books. Just be sure they include Orgo Chem and Physiology.