Ap classes < high Gpa/ranking

American Kimchi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I've only finished taking one Ap class. Ap human (fresh. year)
I'm taking both Ap world and Ap bio right now. The thing I've noticed is my grades dropping like crazy this year. I think it's because Band has consumed too much of my time, But all these ap stuff is already killing me. I'm probably not even top 10% anymore.

But I've noticed my friends in regular or just ap world (there's only three soph. including me, taking both ap's in my school) having high gpa/ranking than me. It's very hard to balance honor/top band, and both ap for me (I got both B- in both ap classes so I'm guessing I'm better off with regular. But I wanted to have a strong back ground for science. I couldn't switch out of ap world because my schedule didn't work out) And the thing is, I've never taken a regular class except spanish before. I'm afraid that I'll lose my focus in regular classes)

Am I just better off with taking one ap next year and getting a higher gpa/ranking or taking more than one ap with lower ranking/gpa ? :(

Members don't see this ad.

It's all about balance... I was in a similar situation in that I was in orchestra and taking a bunch of AP classes. There were times when I had to give up a few hours of violin for studying and vice versa. AP classes are tough, but the important thing about them is the ability to gain college credit if you pass the exam. Just know and recognize your limits.

So far, I've only finished taking one Ap class. Ap human (fresh. year)
I'm taking both Ap world and Ap bio right now. The thing I've noticed is my grades dropping like crazy this year. I think it's because Band has consumed too much of my time, But all these ap stuff is already killing me. I'm probably not even top 10% anymore.

But I've noticed my friends in regular or just ap world (there's only three soph. including me, taking both ap's in my school) having high gpa/ranking than me. It's very hard to balance honor/top band, and both ap for me (I got both B- in both ap classes so I'm guessing I'm better off with regular. But I wanted to have a strong back ground for science. I couldn't switch out of ap world because my schedule didn't work out) And the thing is, I've never taken a regular class except spanish before. I'm afraid that I'll lose my focus in regular classes)

Am I just better off with taking one ap next year and getting a higher gpa/ranking or taking more than one ap with lower ranking/gpa ? :(

I remember my guidance counselor telling me there was benefits to both. I think it boils down to which colleges you are planning to attend. If you need a very high GPA and class rank you should do what it takes to get that (drop a few APs, balance your time better, etc.) but if you are going to only a semi-competitive school you should mine as well take the AP classes, get college credit for them, and start a little bit ahead in college. Depending on scholarships you are intending to try for, you should also create a schedule that will help you meet those requirements. For instance, one scholarship I wanted required a 28 ACT and top 5% of your high school class. Fortunately, the WEIGHTED class rank was submitted so I took a few AP courses to inflate my rank.

In the end, it comes down to finding balance. Just find out what works for you and you could achieve a high GPA as well as a large AP course load.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, they're only really going to benefit you if you score high enough to get credit with them. Sadly, I was one of the people that although I did great in the class, I didn't make the cut for credit.

Also, when it comes to college transcripts, courses taken at your actual university as an undergraduate are probably better for you in the long run. Sure...AP classes may cut some time off but they're not going to count towards your college GPA. In a similar situation, I took three of my general education courses at a community college during high school. Made A's in all of them. But, will do nothing for my veterinary school application.

However, if you're looking to get into a competitive university where it is all about high school transcripts, then go for it.

There's my confusing two cents...:D

I had to drop band for all the extra practices...

well the fact that you're a soph. taking AP's may have something to do with it. I know at my HS they don't let fresh. or soph. take AP classes because they're just too hard so I commend you on that. I'm in the process of applying for colleges myself and I know that at every one that I've visited the admissions people always say they look for students who challege themselves. So should you cram your schedule full of AP's? probably not because it looks like you can't handle it with your busy schedule (which is perfectly fine btw! nothing wrong with keeping busy) But I wouldn't sell yourself short either. Definitely take a few AP's and see how you do. Plus AP's should actually INFLATE your rank because they're weighted so much more than your regular classes are.

Hope that helped. Good luck with everything!

Funny thing is, if you don't pass the exam at the end, you don't even get the credit...

I swear AP courses in High school are a lot harder. I took one back in hs and i failed, but then again my studying habits were horrible.

I left high school early and attended college full-time, everything is pretty easy so far if you put forth the effort.