AP credit??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snapdragon9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most pharmacy schools accept or not accept AP credit?? I'm getting very confused as to which schools allow AP and which don't. It's not always clearly stated on the website; I just found out by accident for one school so I'm a little bit freaked out by that.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me :)

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion would be to contact the schools you are interested in applying to. I know some schools only except classes that you have received a grade for, regardless of whether or not you received credit, especially for pre-pharmacy classes. I received credit for a class and was told a year before I applied that it would be accepted. I called the week before I submitted my appliction and was then told that I would not even be considered if I didn't have a grade for that class. Thankfully I was able to add it to my schedule this semester. It really sucks that I have to take a class I already got credit for especially since it isn't even a science course. Hope this helps a little.

i know usc doesn't. I already have my b.s. but i have to go back to school and take lower division biology grrr. My undergrad took my AP credit in biology so i didn't have to take lower div bio then. so yeah, do you research early on so you can finish taking all your pre reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know University of Michigan is really particular about AP credits. I think they accept some but not all of them. Also U of Washington is deciding if they will be accepting AP credits for prerequisites for next admission cycle.

I am scared too because I have AP credits for both my general chemistry classes and my calculus course. Could anybody post particular schools that do not accept AP credits?

the great thing about applying to pharmacy school is that each school has completely different admissions requirements. very little is standardized. the only thing to do is contact each school individually and find out their policy.

sobelixer said:
i know usc doesn't. I already have my b.s. but i have to go back to school and take lower division biology grrr. My undergrad took my AP credit in biology so i didn't have to take lower div bio then. so yeah, do you research early on so you can finish taking all your pre reqs.

by lower division, do you mean introductory biology? what was your b.s. in? not biology i hope, or that would be truly ridiculous!

I got my calculus requirement completely satisfied by an AP course I took 5 years ago when I was in high school. Although I ended up not needing that since I took two more semesters of calculus in college (I was thinking of being an engineer back in the day...) I also took the AP Bio exam, and although my undergrad school gave me 8 full credits for that (a full year of freshman bio), at my pharmacy school, a 5 on the AP bio exam translated into some other introductory class that i couldn't use as a prereq. They were very clear that just because my school granted me so many credits didnt mean that those credits would transfer. So you have to be careful, because in there eyes, I hadn't taken freshman biology, and since I had credit for it at my undergrad school, I couldn't go back and take it, so I ended up using Genetics + lab to satisfy one semester of my freshman bio prereq and Zoology + lab to satisfy the second semester.

So you have to be careful if you are using credit you got through an AP exam as a prereq pharmacy school.

Oregon State accepts AP credit for prepharm classes. I took a bunch of them in high school, and so I only have graded credits for about half of my prepharm classes, most of which are the upper division ones. Kind of sucks since I don't have that easy A in general bio, chem, physics, calculus to balance out my B's and C's in the harder prepharm classes. It would really suck if I had to take general chemistry and biology, since I am a chemistry and biochemistry double major. I was even a TA for general chemistry! I can't even begin to imagine the look on the instructor's face if I tell him that I'm taking the class and not 'TAing' for it. Maybe I could do both...:)

Also be careful with AP credits in that even if they appear on your college transcript that may not be enough, some schools want a report sent from the college board as well (you have to call and ask, they might not tell you this.)

I had to send my AP scores from the College Board to UCSF for any of them to count. I am not sure what scores are needed for them to be accepted. I think I sent them my econ, and 2 English test scores. Be careful if you are older though. The archived score reports take forever to be sent and mine were lost 3 times before they got it done. UCSF is REALLY big on deadlines. FIU in Miami (who also takes over a month to get a transcript out under regular circumstances :mad: ) was shut for several weeks after Hurricane Wilma and I was afraid my transcript wouldn't get there in time and that I would have my application kicked out :eek: .

THIS AP credit bullcrap is the worst decision I have made in my entire life! You think you're doing yourself a favor by taking the AP test and getting college credit but in fact it haunts you when you apply to pharmacy school!! NOT only does it cost extra $$ to pull out scores that have been archived, you MUST rely on ETS to send in those scores for you on time! Even if you received college credit and it is posted on your transcript you STILL need to send in the scores. FOR WHAT?? :mad: $25 X (#schools applied) = A LOT OF MONEY! These are FRIGGIN High School scores! It's like you're being punished for something GOOD you did.... 10 years ago. I've had a lot of problems with ETS and schools actually receiving my score reports. There is no way to track it so I don't know who's responsible for losing it. :mad: :mad:

Why can't pharmacy schools see this? It is a real big hassle and a big inconvenience for applicants who have received AP college credit. It is SO stupid that these score reports are required even though the applicant has a degree and have taken upper division courses that goes beyond what AP credit actually covers, which is a basic introductory college credit....

SO LAME! :mad:

Tarutaru said:
THIS AP credit bullcrap is the worst decision I have made in my entire life! You think you're doing yourself a favor by taking the AP test and getting college credit but in fact it haunts you when you apply to pharmacy school!! NOT only does it cost extra $$ to pull out scores that have been archived, you MUST rely on ETS to send in those scores for you on time! Even if you received college credit and it is posted on your transcript you STILL need to send in the scores. FOR WHAT?? :mad: $25 X (#schools applied) = A LOT OF MONEY! These are FRIGGIN High School scores! It's like you're being punished for something GOOD you did.... 10 years ago. I've had a lot of problems with ETS and schools actually receiving my score reports. There is no way to track it so I don't know who's responsible for losing it. :mad: :mad:

Why can't pharmacy schools see this? It is a real big hassle and a big inconvenience for applicants who have received AP college credit. It is SO stupid that these score reports are required even though the applicant has a degree and have taken upper division courses that goes beyond what AP credit actually covers, which is a basic introductory college credit....

SO LAME! :mad:

i agree, sending out AP scores is a pain. I spent $50 to send out APs from ETS but the schools never received it. I had to call the schools plus ETS and explain the situation. luckily i was sending out my scores early on so i still had time before the deadline. i ended up paying and extra $50+ by calling an ets rep and paying for the service over the phone. It was a big hassle and in the end I still have to take that dumb lower division biology class. so the AP scores did nothing for me.

VCU is going to make me take both semesters of Gen Chem that i had AP credit for. I took both of the labs here, took all my orgo, and i'll have a BS in biomedical engineering, so we have to do a lot of the rate kinetic stuff (for drug delivery applications). argh.
so not only will it cost me ~$1200 to take 6 cr's over the summer, its going to make it reeeeeeeally difficult for me to get a decent paying summer job. bah.

Members don't see this ad :)
UVaWahoo said:
VCU is going to make me take both semesters of Gen Chem that i had AP credit for. I took both of the labs here, took all my orgo, and i'll have a BS in biomedical engineering, so we have to do a lot of the rate kinetic stuff (for drug delivery applications). argh.
so not only will it cost me ~$1200 to take 6 cr's over the summer, its going to make it reeeeeeeally difficult for me to get a decent paying summer job. bah.

i'm in a similar situation with UCSF, although they're giving me one semester of credit, so i only have to take one semester of gen chem. but still...what a waste of time and money!

AP credit is a pain. It has been such a pain to figure out if this or that will transfer in. I think dual enrollment is a much better option.

iheartpandp said:
AP credit is a pain. It has been such a pain to figure out if this or that will transfer in. I think dual enrollment is a much better option.

the funny thing with that is, when i came to UVa, all i got from my dual enrollment classes was credit hours. I had spanish and anatomy/physiology classes, but the actual classes didnt count. still had to take spanish, still had to take physiology.
AP however, got my out of all my intro classes (until now)

Here's my situation, ANYONE have insight?
I took the English Literature AP test, got a 4 which allowed me to skip ENG101/102 right into ENG109H (accelerated honors english) - only one semester which fulfills my english requirements. Schools that require two three-credit-hour courses won't have a problem with my situation, will they? Will I have to get a copy of my scores from College Board and send them in with my PharmCAS material EVEN THOUGH the 109H course I took last semester is ONLY open to people who have AP credit?

Mongoos150 said:
Here's my situation, ANYONE have insight?
I took the English Literature AP test, got a 4 which allowed me to skip ENG101/102 right into ENG109H (accelerated honors english) - only one semester which fulfills my english requirements. Schools that require two three-credit-hour courses won't have a problem with my situation, will they? Will I have to get a copy of my scores from College Board and send them in with my PharmCAS material EVEN THOUGH the 109H course I took last semester is ONLY open to people who have AP credit?

How did your college handle the credits? My SAT score was high enough that my undergrad college skipped me out of English 101 and put me straight into 102 (If I had gotten 10 points higher on the verbal I would have gotten out of 102 as well :smuggrin: ). They gave me 3 credits with a "P" for 101. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with these credits.

As for AP credit - I took the AP Bio exam ages ago (my score is 10 years old this month), but my 4 also got me out of Bio 201 (biology for science majors) at my school. The problem? They only gave me 3 credits - my school wouldn't give me the lab credit. I ended up having to go back and retake a LOWER class (Bio 100 - for nonmajors) towards the end of my undergrad years just to get that one credit (I couldn't retake a course that I had a P in) for graduation. It was a total pain, but a class I could zombie out in. Luckily, the pharm school I applied to would take Bio 100 OR 201.

I didn't get any kind of 'passing' terminology for 101/102, my requirements switched to 109H. English requirements are: 101&102 OR 109H. This is only 3 credit hours (although every school requires 6 - they assume you'll take 101/102). Will this be a problem applying to other schools?

snapdragon9 said:
by lower division, do you mean introductory biology? what was your b.s. in? not biology i hope, or that would be truly ridiculous!

actually, i have a bs in biochem/cell biology. UCSD counted my AP credit so i didn't have to take any lower div bio, but USC demands i take one "real" lower div bio class even though i took specific upper div bio courses. it's sad. i know. waste of time and money.

I needed to send BOTH my high school transcript and AP scores from collegeboard.

Going back to your HS was a really weird experience. Also, by the time you graduate college, it would be so long that you have to pay College board an extra fee to get score reports.

My school, MCPHS -Worcester only accepted a score of 4 or more.

Mongoos150 said:
I didn't get any kind of 'passing' terminology for 101/102, my requirements switched to 109H. English requirements are: 101&102 OR 109H. This is only 3 credit hours (although every school requires 6 - they assume you'll take 101/102). Will this be a problem applying to other schools?

I think that it's going to depend on each school you're applying to. If you already have a list in mind, you should contact the admissions people and get the facts now before you apply (you're early in this process, IIRC). It's too bad that your school didn't actually give you credits for english 101 or 102, but I suppose that this is similar to being put straight into calc I instead of having to take pre-calc and trig beforehand.

Good luck!

Thanks, hopefully if other schools accept AP credit I'll just have to submit my AP scores as well (not looking forward to that ACK, have to get them from the CB) and it'll be ok.