Sep 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student
So I'm an AMG MD applying for pathology residency. I did a post-sophomore fellowship with the pathology department at my school. However, my step scores aren't the best and I'm not MD/PhD. I'm applying for AP/NP, but I'm worried I won't be what they are looking for. Do you basically have to have MD/PhD for AP/NP?

Last edited:

pathslides

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
So I'm an AMG MD applying for pathology residency. I did a post-sophomore fellowship with the pathology department at my school. However, my step scores aren't the best (209/242) and I'm not MD/PhD. I'm applying for AP/NP, but I'm worried I won't be what they are looking for. Do you basically have to have MD/PhD for AP/NP?
Most I know that did this pathway were MD/PhD with lots of research. You better know for sure you want to be in academics because you most likely will be restricted to academic institutions (aka Low pay). Not doing CP limits your future job prospects and more importantly your income potential.

Reactions: univlad

DoctorInQuotations

2+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know a handful of MD only AP/NP trainees, so it is absolutely possible. But I get the feeling that AP/NP spots are much more competitive since there are so few of them. I hope you're applying to AP only positions as well.

About the Ads

univlad

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Why are you only apply for AP/NP vs AP/CP then doing a NP fellowship after? It's only two additional years and would open up a much broader job market for your after graduation. It's too bad none of the post sophomore fellowship can count towards your path residency.

OP
CoffeeDreamer
Sep 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I'm also applying for AP/CP positions. Doing AP/NP is more about timing for me, since I also want to do forensics at the moment. And I'd rather not do AP/CP + NP + forensics. Though I've already been in school for forever at this point, so what's another 7 years of training I suppose.

I'm fairly certain I want to do academics. I don't really see myself going the private track despite the pay. Also, my fellowship interests don't seem to mesh with the private practice route.

Last edited:

univlad

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
AP/NP makes perfect sense with forensics, I think, if you know for sure that's what you want to do.

Sep 15, 2017
Status
MD/PhD Student
I'm also applying for AP/CP positions. Doing AP/NP is more about timing for me, since I also want to do forensics at the moment. And I'd rather not do AP/CP + NP + forensics. Though I've already been in school for forever at this point, so what's another 7 years of training I suppose.

I'm fairly certain I want to do academics. I don't really see myself going the private track despite the pay. Also, my fellowship interests don't seem to mesh with the private practice route.

Ha! I'm basically doing the same thing. 100% sure I'm going into forensics (though I did a Ph.D. in forensic anthropology). Figured that rounding out a 4 year program with NP instead of 3 year AP or 4 year AP/CP would be better for my career. I guess we'll probably be seeing a lot of each other on the interview trail!

Sep 18, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone! I basically joined to say I'm planning on doing the exact same thing (AP/NP/FP) and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, CoffeeDreamer (No post-sophomore year, but some years of autopsy experience). I have a lot of the same fears, really, and have been told by a lot of people that it is a very MD/PhD heavy world. It's scary especially with the calibre of institutions that offer AP/NP, but we just need to hope for the best!

Here's hoping we all do well this coming cycle, and I hope to run into you and NapWhileSwitchingSlides on the interview trails! Hopefully we'll all be OK as long as there aren't over 20 people applying AP/NP :)

OP
CoffeeDreamer
Sep 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Yes, good luck to you both and maybe we'll run into each other :) I'm mostly appying to programs in the Midwest/Northeast.

Sep 15, 2017
Status
MD/PhD Student
Agreed! I'm basically applying to all the AP/NP programs that I could find so about 20 of them. I agree with Shinkeikei that hopefully there are fewer than 20 people applying and we all get the residency track that we're shooting for.

Torsed

Deo Vindice.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
All you need is a pulse for that. Best to look at an academic center for employment.

I would do CP if I were you in case you ever have an epiphany.

About the Ads