AP or Dual Credit?

19ixiann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm having difficulty deciding whether to take AP Calculus AB my senior year or Analytic Geometry and Calculus I as dual credit for my first semester and Elementary Statistics as dual credit my second semester. I need both Calculus and Statistics as prerequisites for pharmacy school but I don't want to set myself up for failure. Does the shorter period of time (a full school year vs. a semester) make Calculus in college more difficult?
I'd also like to know whether English Composition I and II are harder for the same reasons (shorter time to complete, less assignments to help boost grade, etc.) I'm really good at math and English, but I don't want to risk ruining my 4.0 GPA, or even worse, getting off to a bad start with my college GPA. Any help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also like to mention that the pharmacy school I plan on going to accepts both AP and DC, and that they both grant a 5.0 weight on a 4.0 GPA scale. They are also both entirely free of charge at my high school. I could take Calc. once I get to college, but it would be dumb to skip an entire year of math after pre-cal. I'm bound to forget the concepts I had learned. As for English, I'd much rather get both my 2 high school credits left and my 6 semesters hours over with my junior year so that I never have to take an English class again. I just don't want it to end up being harder than AP (hopefully it'll be equal or less rigor.)

Chillllllll........damn

It doesn't matter. Take what you think will help you the most in college

Reactions: 1 user
If you are stuck between AP English and dc English, my counselor recommends AP, because a lot of kids take dc. The most academically-inclined people take AP, as it is not only very rigorous, but you have to adequately prepare yourself for the exam in May which really tests your knowledge of the material. In dc, it is very dependent on the teacher and where you are, and really isn't as difficult to gain the credit as with the AP exam. If you want it easier, then dc. If you are trying to get in a really competitive program, then AP. Either is very good, and each has slight pluses and minuses. It is really what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile