AP Statistics yay or nay?

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the problem first:

- I want to take this class but it conflicts with another; I must choose.

Here is what you should know:
- I don't take AP's just for the hell of it or to show off to colleges—I take them only if I believe it will be beneficial for me in the future.
- I realistically aim for a 5 on the test if I take this class (the whole point is to get college credit so you don't have to take it in undergrad after all)
- I've heard that Medical Schools generally frown upon using AP credit for core classes like Bio, Chem, Physics, etc. However, statistics is not a core class to my understanding; rather it appears on the MCAT and is generally useful in most professions.

My Question:
- Should I take this class with the intentions of using the credit for the long term? Or do Med schools frown upon using the credit even for secondary prerequisites?

Thank you for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

1. What class does it conflict with?
2. Only issue with testing out of Stats is that you may forget a significant amount of it by the time that you may need it. I'm also a rising senior, and personally I want to take a stats class in university just so that it's fresh to me. (It is a worthwhile class though, taking it wouldn't be a detriment to your educational career .)
Answer - Personally no, as I've heard that AP classes tend to not teach nearly as much information as college classes, and you could consequently miss out on something important.

Stats is definitely an AP class worth taking.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. What class does it conflict with?
2. Only issue with testing out of Stats is that you may forget a significant amount of it by the time that you may need it. I'm also a rising senior, and personally I want to take a stats class in university just so that it's fresh to me.
Answer - Personally no, as I've heard that AP classes tend to not teach nearly as much information as college classes, and you could consequently miss out on something important.
Conflicts with instrumental where I'm somewhat needed as a player.
I attend a college prep school so I wouldn't say it's a typical run-of-the-mill AP class lacking tons of content—almost everyone receives a 5 or 4 on the exam (not just in stats).

Conflicts with instrumental where I'm somewhat needed as a player.
I attend a college prep school so I wouldn't say it's a typical run-of-the-mill AP class lacking tons of content—almost everyone receives a 5 or 4 on the exam (not just in stats).
If your instruments class is something that you get personal enjoyment out of, and don't plan on pursuing in college, then it may make sense to just take stats later in college and enjoy yourself a bit more senior year.

Here's the problem first:

- I want to take this class but it conflicts with another; I must choose.

Here is what you should know:
- I don't take AP's just for the hell of it or to show off to colleges—I take them only if I believe it will be beneficial for me in the future.
- I realistically aim for a 5 on the test if I take this class (the whole point is to get college credit so you don't have to take it in undergrad after all)
- I've heard that Medical Schools generally frown upon using AP credit for core classes like Bio, Chem, Physics, etc. However, statistics is not a core class to my understanding; rather it appears on the MCAT and is generally useful in most professions.

My Question:
- Should I take this class with the intentions of using the credit for the long term? Or do Med schools frown upon using the credit even for secondary prerequisites?

Thank you for your feedback.
AP Stats is a no. AP Calc is better. Furthermore, Calc is more fun to learn than boring stats

AP stat is worth taking; it's kinda fun writing all those proof. Not only that, it helps fulfilling stat requirement in college.

Yea** :/

AP stats and stats in general are great options since the principles covered are critical to understanding and conducting science. Everyone should make themselves familiar with stats of they want to go into an empirically founded field of study.

Calculus is mostly superfluous IMO, unless you want to get deep into the physical or physical applied sciences. As a psych major, it was a waste of my time. YMMV

Even if you do test out of stats, you very well may take another stats course at university. Regardless, you'll need to make sure you satisfy the prerequisites for all the schools you're interested in applying to. You have lots of time, so if there are any that won't take the AP credit, you can address that.

Being proficient at math will help with calc classes in college, and physics in college + the MCAT.

The worst thing you can do though is take a math class that is too challenging in high school. In my opinion, I screwed up taking higher calc classes in hs when my math wasn't fundamentally sound in trig and other areas.

In the end, don't overload your schedule, high school is about having fun.. Take a math class that will challenge you but won't be overwhelming.

good luck

I would take calculus over stats if you get the chance. When you get into college it will help you excel in your calculus class, not all teachers are the same and I know the kids in my class were struggling while I got an A all thanks to high school calculus. If it conflicts with something you like doing, drop it, colleges love to see you do things other than school too

Edit: I'm taking calculus too

It seems we're a bit divided on what math is preferable. Some say that calculus is unnecessary for pre-med, but I believe that calculus is becoming the new algebra. I'm probably going to end up taking both stats and calc this year. Thank you for your input.

Calculus is required for most med schools I'm pretty sure...I know every dental school requires one semester of it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Calculus is required for most med schools I'm pretty sure...I know every dental school requires one semester of it

The majority of medical schools do not require calculus.

All prerequisites can be found on individual program's websites.

Almost no medical schools require calculus.

All prerequisites can be found on individual program's websites.

That's interesting I thought they did, learn something new everyday

I took AP stats back in the day. Not worth it - only bonus anyone at our uni saw was that people with more credits got better parking

I took AP stats back in the day. Not worth it - only bonus anyone at our uni saw was that people with more credits got better parking
Well I like good parking; the college I want to attend is notorious for crappy parking so I'll take what I can get with AP credits :).

Stats is a pretty rudimentary exam. I accidentally fell asleep in the middle of the AP exam for 20-30 minutes and still got a five. :/

The class itself is somewhat interesting if you like to do data analytics. It doesn't really go too in depth, so a college version will probably encompass more.

Stats is a pretty rudimentary exam. I accidentally fell asleep in the middle of the AP exam for 20-30 minutes and still got a five. :/

The class itself is somewhat interesting if you like to do data analytics. It doesn't really go too in depth, so a college version will probably encompass more.
would you say AP stats is enough for what is covered on the MCAT? Or should I take it in college?