-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
AP vs CP
Started by skinknee
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible to do CP only? Are there any disadvantages to doing CP only?
I'm assuming you're saying AP is strictly for ppl sticking to academia and puts them at a disadvantage when seeking jobs or fellowships.
yes, it's possible, and some CP only spots go unfilled in the match each year. disadvantage is that you will have to work in academia, or maybe a large hospital. private practice really has no place for a CP only person. as i understand it, CP only is mostly done by people planning research oriented careers in academic medical centers.
I see, so CP only is for ppl focussed on staying in academia/research.
What is the advantage of doing AP only? Or rather, what is the purpose of doing strictly 3 years of AP?
AP only is perhaps a wee bit better, but again, it's mostly for people planning on academic careers. i suppose someone planning to do dermpath, forensic path, or neuropath could in theory get away with AP only, but again, i don't recommend it.
It sounds like AP/CP is the way to go. But does that mean those residency spots are more in demand?
I wonder for matching purposes, is an applicant's preference of AP/CP vs AP going to influence their match?
yes and yes, but it doesn't matter because >90% of the spots at AP/CP. getting an -only spot is a bit tougher because then you can't take call for the other, so at some of the smaller to medium sized programs it's not an option. at a big place like pitt, mgh, emory, it may be doable. i'll repeat what everyone else has said: unless you are 100% sure you want an academic career, do AP/CP.
D
deleted57552
AP/CP >> AP >>>>> CP.
CP only extremely limits you. AP/CP makes private practice a feasible option. AP, you're stuck to academics more or less unless you do a fellowship in a practical, marketable field.
CP only extremely limits you. AP/CP makes private practice a feasible option. AP, you're stuck to academics more or less unless you do a fellowship in a practical, marketable field.
AP and CP are two completely unique fields with little overlap (except hemepath). I suggest you figure out which one you like or dislike, decide what type of career path you want to take, then go from there. I have met very few AP/CP residents who thoroughly enjoy their CP training (in fact I would say most dislike it). They only do it so that they can get CP boarded and get a private gig.
It sounds like AP/CP is the way to go. But does that mean those residency spots are more in demand?
I wonder for matching purposes, is an applicant's preference of AP/CP vs AP going to influence their match?
Most programs consider AP only and AP/CP candidates in the same pool. It's not like they want to take 3 AP only and 3 AP/CP. They want 6 candidates who are either AP or AP/CP. So there is no influence. AP is where most of the work has to be done. Generally, AP only candidates are stronger candidates in terms of research and/or experience background with probably academic goals. CP only candidates are often considered separately because they don't have as many vital clinical responsibilities that someone else can't handle.
Many smaller programs, though, may not even offer an AP only program.
Most programs consider AP only and AP/CP candidates in the same pool. It's not like they want to take 3 AP only and 3 AP/CP. They want 6 candidates who are either AP or AP/CP. So there is no influence.
I don't know if I would say "most." My experience this year with 3 well-known programs was they had a certain number of AP only spots and a certain number of AP/CP, and which one I applied as definitely affected how they would rank me, according to the PD's. I would advise directly asking the programs whether they have separate applicant pools or not.
AP and CP are two completely unique fields with little overlap (except hemepath). I suggest you figure out which one you like or dislike, decide what type of career path you want to take, then go from there. I have met very few AP/CP residents who thoroughly enjoy their CP training (in fact I would say most dislike it). They only do it so that they can get CP boarded and get a private gig.
Exactly. The question doesn't make any sense.
Thanks everyone for the input. While I have considered academia, I think I'd like to stay on a path that doesn't lock me in. I think AP/CP will be best fit for me. I'm sure a small number people have gone into academia doing AP/CP.
On the contrary, lots of people go into academia with AP/CP. While the old-timers are more likely to be AP-only or CP-only, it seems like many of the newer faculty have both.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the contrary, lots of people go into academia with AP/CP. While the old-timers are more likely to be AP-only or CP-only, it seems like many of the newer faculty have both.
this is correct in my experience thus far, but i would also add that many academic people do become specialized in what they actually do day to day. so you may have someone who's AP/CP, but only does medical microbiology, or in larger academic setting with subspecialty sign-out, doing mostly just their own area of expertise (GI, GU, gyn, breast, etc).
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 3K