APA-accredited programs under probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATED 11/4/2012

A post on another thread prompted me to look this up, and it appears a handful of programs are seemingly suddenly under probation for APA accreditation. It makes me wonder if the APA is slowly starting to get stricter.

From the APA website:

Clinical
Alliant International University—Fresno and Sacramento** (PsyD)
(formerly listed as California School of Professional Psychology-Fresno; Alliant International University—Fresno)
Fresno, CA 93727
June 3, 1994
Accredited, on probation
Next site visit scheduled Spring 2013
**Will be reviewed as two separate programs in 2013

Argosy University, San Francisco Bay Area (PsyD)
(formerly listed as Argosy University, San Francisco Bay Area Campus)
Department of Clinical Psychology
Alameda, CA 94501
May 6, 2003
Accredited, on probation
Next site visit scheduled Fall 2013

The City College of New York, City University of New York (PhD)
Department of Psychology
New York, NY 10031
Dec. 1, 1968
Accredited, on probation
Next site visit scheduled Spring 2012

ETA: Cuny has this note on their website:. I guess the APA is behind on updating their website?

Accreditation
The program has just been informed that it has been fully reaccredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the American Psychological Association.

Fielding Graduate University (PhD)
(formerly listed as The Fielding Institute)
Department of Psychology
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
July 17, 1991
Accredited, on probation
Next site visit scheduled Spring 2013

Forest Institute of Professional Psychology (PsyD)
Springfield, MO 65807
Oct. 14, 1994
Accredited, on probation

John F. Kennedy University (PsyD)
Graduate School of Professional Psychology
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
May 30, 2003
Accredited, on probation
Next site visit scheduled Spring/Summer 2013

Counseling

Howard University (PhD)
School of Education
Washington, DC 20059
April 29, 2002
Accredited, on probation
Next site visit scheduled 2014

School

University of Kentucky (PhD)
Department of Educational, School, and Counseling Psychology
Lexington, KY 40506-0017
Feb. 18, 1986
Accredited, on probation (Under appeal)

University of Minnesota (PhD)
Department of Educational Psychology
College of Education and Human Development
Minneapolis, MN 55455
May 1, 1972
Accredited, on probation

University of Missouri—Columbia (PhD)
Department of Educational and Counseling Psychology
Columbia, MO 65211
Feb. 5, 1999
Accredited, on probation

University of Northern Colorado (PhD)
School of Applied Psychology and Counselor Education
Greeley, CO 80639
June 25, 1981
Accredited, on probation
Next site visit scheduled Spring/Summer 2013

Combined
None

Relatedly, the following programs have decided to withdraw applications for initial accreditation:
Antioch-Santa Barbara (Clinical PsyD)
Union Institute and University (Brattleboro, Vt. & Cincinnati, Ohio) (Clinical PsyD)

University of the Rockies (Colorado Springs, Colo.) (Clinical PsyD)

APA note on probationary status:
An accredited program cannot have its accreditation revoked without first being placed on "accredited, on probation" status. Programs placed on "accredited, on probation" status will be reviewed in no less than 1 and no more than 2 years. This provides the public with notice that the program is not currently consistent with the G&P.
Revocation of accreditation occurs when the Commission on Accreditation (CoA), in its review of a program on "accredited, on probation" status, has evidence that the program continues to be inconsistent with the G&P.
The effective date of the revocation is the date of the CoA meeting in which the decision was made. If the program appeals the CoA's decision to revoke, and that decision is upheld, the revocation will take effect 30 days after the appeal hearing is held. Individuals completing the program after that date are not considered to have completed an accredited program.

From http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/about/accreditation-process.aspx?item=2

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Among the reasons CoA is reportedly putting programs "on probation" : 1) lack of sufficent evidence that practicum students are gaining enough experience in evidence-based practices or 2) receiving enough practicum experience in testing and 3) lack of a high enough proportion of students going on internship to APA accredited programs. I don't disagree with these being qualities we want in accredited programs. However, it is important not to make unilateral conclusions about any specific program without due diligence in researching a given program as there are often moderating variables. the CoA process is not transparent, and there are political forces at work as well.

My own sense is that CoA accredited way too many programs starting decades ago and has never set a limit on class/cohort size for schools and now they are using this process to try to correct these mistakes but it is an arcane method and students (and faculty) are caught painfully in the process.

I'm surprised to see CUNY on there. I'm not surprised to see Alliant and Argosy; I have not heard good things about their professional programs.

I think APA is not getting stricter. There are always programs on probation.

Members don't see this ad :)
:)

Last edited:
old news is old. This list is actually smaller than I'd expect

This is only a guess, but I wonder if City is on there because it takes many of their students forever to graduate. I think the modal # is like 8 yrs.

This is only a guess, but I wonder if City is on there because it takes many of their students forever to graduate. I think the modal # is like 8 yrs.

From the statement from CUNY posted above, it appears to be at least in part due to their not having been able to offer all of the required courses.

I hope the APA thinks about the students before they strip away a university's accredited status. Also, the repercussions of taking this away. In my state, Kansas, you have to have gone to an APA accredited program for licensure. To work for the VA hospital in order to serve the Veteran population (which is why I entered this field), you have to have been through an APA accredited program.

I hope the APA thinks about the students before they strip away a university's accredited status. Also, the repercussions of taking this away. In my state, Kansas, you have to have gone to an APA accredited program for licensure. To work for the VA hospital in order to serve the Veteran population (which is why I entered this field), you have to have been through an APA accredited program.

I agree, and I'd imagine it's one of the main reasons the APA places a program on probation first rather than yanking accreditation outright and then making the site earn it back. It still doesn't help those students whose program is flagged after they've begun their training, but it does at least send a warning to prospective students who're considering applying there.

While I am all for quality control for psychology training programs which has been lacking for some time, I am also troubled by what you are pointing out, Slinger. It just feels wrong to penalize students who are already enrolled at the time of the de-accreditation. Perhaps there should be a review option for such students that can denote that while they ended up finishing at a nonaccredited program, they still meet APA competencies? Already that sounds like a painful process to me, but I'm sure many students would prefer to submit their transcripts and hours to review than to lose career options after investing time and money in pursuit of the degree. Or perhaps an option that facilitates a transfer to a different program?

I just finished looking over the list and CUNY's clinical neuropsychology program at queen's college apparently withdrew its application for accreditation. I haven't found much on the program searching through old posts on this forum... but does anyone know why its not accredited or where the program's weakness lies?

I just finished looking over the list and CUNY's clinical neuropsychology program at queen's college apparently withdrew its application for accreditation. I haven't found much on the program searching through old posts on this forum... but does anyone know why its not accredited or where the program's weakness lies?

Hmmm. Yes, unexpected because the research and general quality of the neuropsychology education there is solid, from what Ive heard.

That said, I have very mixed feelings about the idea of a doctoral program strictly in neuropsychology...as apparently Queens college is. I do not know their curriculum, but from a brief glance it appears its is indeed purely neuro focused and offers little if any practica in garden variety clinical issues and psychotherapy. I would hope that they would at least have to be trained in cog rehab type psychotherapies. Again, I think people who get trapped into the purely div 40 model of neuropsychology (eg. assessment and a report) miss out on a large portion of the field. IMHO, the best clinical (ie., practicing) neuropsychologists are generally broadly trained folks who have significant training in experience in general clinical issues as well.

I also wonder how the non APA thing effects its grads. So many internships require, or heavily prefer, APA accredited programs, it would be pretty amazing if these people are acquiring top placements year after year. And I'm also pretty sure most official npsych post docs require that you went to an APA program and internship, no? I wish we could get a Queens college person on here to clarify these issues, because at the moment its all just speculation basically.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Yes, unexpected because the research and general quality of the neuropsychology education there is solid, from what Ive heard.

That said, I have very mixed feelings about the idea of a doctoral program strictly in neuropsychology...as apparently Queens college is. I do not know their curriculum, but from a brief glance it appears its is indeed purely neuro focused and offers little if any practica in garden variety clinical issues and psychotherapy. I would hope that they would at least have to be trained in cog rehab type psychotherapies. Again, I think people who get trapped into the purely div 40 model of neuropsychology (eg. assessment and a report) miss out on a large portion of the field. IMHO, the best clinical (ie., practicing) neuropsychologists are generally broadly trained folks who have significant training in experience in general clinical issues as well.

I also wonder how the non APA thing effects its grads. So many internships require, or heavily prefer, APA accredited programs, it would be pretty amazing if these people are acquiring top placements year after year. And I'm also pretty sure most official npsych post docs require that you went to an APA program and internship, no? I wish we could get a Queens college person on here to clarify these issues, because at the moment its all just speculation basically.

I agree that offering significantly-narrowed specialty training so early in graduate education could possibly be counter productive. I definitely feel as though my generalist-type experiences (e.g., psychotherapy, intake assessments) have been essential to my development as a future neuropsychologist. After all, we are still licensed as clinical psychologists, and should be expected to have solid understandings of core clinical psychology tenets.

Getting back to the topic at hand, coming from a non-accredited doctoral program is obviously going to throw up some very serious hurdles, some of which may be nearly-impossible to overcome. Many internship sites, and I believe even a couple state licensing boards, require it.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the statement from CUNY posted above, it appears to be at least in part due to their not having been able to offer all of the required courses.

I know a few people in CUNY's clinical program, and the consensus among students and the faculty I spoke with at their open house is that it basically comes down to the fact that the progarm is determined to remain very clinically/psychodynamically-oriented, and APA wanted them to make changes to the curriculum to include more reseach methodology/training in ESTs/bio bases of behavior etc.... Apparently they resisted, but they conceded and made the changes in order to remain in compliance, Kicking and screaming, from what I've heard:)

The CUNY website says: "We will be adding a number of new courses to broaden our curriculum as of Fall 2010 in order to be fully compliant with the guidelines of the CoA, specifically courses in the biological basis of behavior, social psychology, cognition and affect, neuropsychological assessment and development across the lifespan."

The CUNY website says: "We will be adding a number of new courses to broaden our curriculum as of Fall 2010 in order to be fully compliant with the guidelines of the CoA, specifically courses in the biological basis of behavior, social psychology, cognition and affect, neuropsychological assessment and development across the lifespan."

Well, dang. If they seriously thought they were providing an adequate knowledge base without courses in any of these areas then I have to wonder what the TD and CUNY powers-that-be were smoking. Seriously.

Well, dang. If they seriously thought they were providing an adequate knowledge base without courses in any of these areas then I have to wonder what the TD and CUNY powers-that-be were smoking. Seriously.

+1. I'm hoping they were offering at least SOME instruction in these areas prior to the APA banging at their door.

I must say, after all the smack the Fielding students who have posted in the past on here, to see such an outstanding university on probation leaves me speechless, nearly.

Just knock me over with a feather...

Mark

While I am all for quality control for psychology training programs which has been lacking for some time, I am also troubled by what you are pointing out, Slinger. It just feels wrong to penalize students who are already enrolled at the time of the de-accreditation. Perhaps there should be a review option for such students that can denote that while they ended up finishing at a nonaccredited program, they still meet APA competencies? Already that sounds like a painful process to me, but I'm sure many students would prefer to submit their transcripts and hours to review than to lose career options after investing time and money in pursuit of the degree. Or perhaps an option that facilitates a transfer to a different program?

I see what you're saying, but the nature of site visits is that they only occur every 7 (?) years. So although it may have become unaccredited shortly before/after they graduated, it is likely that they were receiving sub-accreditation-worthy instruction for their entire tenure. It sucks, but I think that's the risk you run when you attend a professional school...

So, with the impact losing accreditation would have on students of these programs, how bad would it look to other programs to see on a CV that a student has attended one of these for a short period of time and has left the program?

I see what you're saying, but the nature of site visits is that they only occur every 7 (?) years. So although it may have become unaccredited shortly before/after they graduated, it is likely that they were receiving sub-accreditation-worthy instruction for their entire tenure. It sucks, but I think that's the risk you run when you attend a professional school...

I agree but it just feels so cold-blooded. Ultimately, you are right. Trainees have to be vigilant when making important decisions. In a sad way this kind of auto-corrects the flooding problem in the market.

I agree its unfortunate, but the general consensus among folks here and folks at other schools I've spoken to is that APA accreditation is frankly, extremely easy to maintain. Many schools are upset if they are re-accredited for 5 or 6 years instead of the full 7. Getting put on probation isn't something that happens because you forgot to dot your i's and cross your t's.

Some responsibility lies with the student to select programs that are strong, and if accreditation is dropped the only one they should be angry with is the school itself. I believe schools should be aiming far, far beyond the requirements of APA accreditation, so I don't think there is an excuse for losing accreditation. Few (none?) of the requirements are outcome-based, so it is more like a checklist of things APA thinks you should have. I don't like all...some I think are ridiculous and I greatly prefer the more outcome-focused approach that APCS is taking, though that comes with its own set of hurdles and measurement difficulties. I'm not convinced that a school having the required classes demonstrates its students are competent in those areas. The last thing we need is driving down standards of the profession even further by being reluctant to drop schools that cannot meet minimal requirements.

Last edited:
APA acred is about meeting MINIMAL training standards, but since alternative acreds have popped up, now APA is seen as the "ideal" and the others as "acceptable." If a program or internship site cannot qualify for the highest grace periods....that is a warning sign.

Anyone interested in neuropsychology, and at Queens, and who plans to practice in NYC following graduation, would be crazy to panic and NOT apply there simply because of this accredidation issue. There is an extensive network of respected QC neuropsychs working in NYC. They all are aware that the training is excellent. So employment worry should not be a factor, unless you do not want to stay in NYC, because maybe in other regions where people aren't familiar with the strengths of the program there may be bias. As an aside, it has been asserted that QC's non-accreditation status is more related to the fact that no other U.S. university has yet been granted accreditation while offering both a clinical psych program and a clinical neuropsych program at the same time, as CUNY does. However, I have never investigated whether this is in fact true. (Something for someone reading this thread to procrastinate with on google.) If this claim does have merit, maybe the absence of a past precedent could be a major contributing factor to why APA has not accredited QC.

Anyone interested in neuropsychology, and at Queens, and who plans to practice in NYC following graduation, would be crazy to panic and NOT apply there simply because of this accredidation issue. There is an extensive network of respected QC neuropsychs working in NYC. They all are aware that the training is excellent. So employment worry should not be a factor, unless you do not want to stay in NYC, because maybe in other regions where people aren't familiar with the strengths of the program there may be bias. As an aside, it has been asserted that QC's non-accreditation status is more related to the fact that no other U.S. university has yet been granted accreditation while offering both a clinical psych program and a clinical neuropsych program at the same time, as CUNY does. However, I have never investigated whether this is in fact true. (Something for someone reading this thread to procrastinate with on google.) If this claim does have merit, maybe the absence of a past precedent could be a major contributing factor to why APA has not accredited QC.

Yes, but you're forgetting the fact that most APA accredited predoctoral internships require or strongly prefer applicants from accredited programs. Thats the barrier....and thats a big one. Moreover, with npsych being the one of the most competitive specialties within a internship site, the nonaccredidation status would be even more of an issue with npsych than with general clinical psych. On top of that, most npsych post-docs require APA accredited internships. Thus, the cascade continues well after you complete the program.

Yes, but you're forgetting the fact that most APA accredited predoctoral internships require or strongly prefer applicants from accredited programs. Thats the barrier....and thats a big one. Moreover, with npsych being the one of the most competitive specialties within a internship site, the nonaccredidation status would be even more of an issue with npsych than with general clinical psych. On top of that, most npsych post-docs require APA accredited internships. Thus, the cascade continues well after you complete the program.

I believe that QC has an APA internship acceptance rate in the mid 60% range, which is definitely on the low side, although much higher then many other non APA programs. The college itself definitely has a very strong reputation, particularly in the area. But I have to agree that the whole non APA thing is an issue.

There is some confusion in this thread about how accreditation works. I don't claim to be an expert, but I am a faculty member of an institution that recently went through the process.

First of all, the review involves two parts. Part one requires programs to meet minimum standards set by the APA. Most of these involve purely objective criteria like retention. The second part is a review of the program description. This is the part that gets most schools in trouble. The APA has very few requirements for programs. Mostly accreditation is based upon doing what you say your program materials say that you do. So, if you claim to prepare students to meaningfully contribute to scholarly journals and nobody has published in four years it is a red flag. That doesn't mean that all schools have to publish; it just means that a school has to publish if it says that this is what is trying to train people to do. Thus, most programs are placed on probation for consistently failing to achieve one of the objectives they have selected for themselves. A minority are placed on probation for failing to meet a minimum requirement of APA. This means that there are not very many "standard" reasons for losing accreditation, and APA does not really have a mechanism in place that would allow it to become more strict.

Second, accreditation awards are three, five, or seven years. Five and seven are good, three is not so good. A number of very good, stable programs have five year accreditation. A decent number of relatively schools get dinged with three every now and again. I would only be concerned with accreditation if a school consistently received 3 years.

Probation and revocation of accreditation are really bad for both the program and the students. Students are usually left with a choice between completing a degree without accreditation or starting over at another school. There is no grandfather clause that protects the accreditation for students who have already started. That said, a degree from a program that lacks accreditation is not necessarily a death sentence. The University of Chicago and Harvard both have unaccredited PhDs, and their graduates can still get licensed.

I must say, after all the smack the Fielding students who have posted in the past on here, to see such an outstanding university on probation leaves me speechless, nearly.

Just knock me over with a feather...
Mark

HA. You're so right.

I believe schools should be aiming far, far beyond the requirements of APA accreditation, so I don't think there is an excuse for losing accreditation.

Abso-freaking-lutely. Really, if your school isn't setting it's own bar high enough, that's saying a whole lot about the education your paying 100k+ for. Your first several clues about how much importance a school places on meeting or exceeding standards should hit you during your visits and interviews.

I agree, and I'd imagine it's one of the main reasons the APA places a program on probation first rather than yanking accreditation outright and then making the site earn it back. It still doesn't help those students whose program is flagged after they've begun their training, but it does at least send a warning to prospective students who're considering applying there.

Being placed on probation is virtually just as bad as having accreditation yanked. I go to Forest and recent internship applicants investigated whether our probation status influenced APA accredited sites decision on whether to accept our students. The results were overwhelming- it did. I have another Masters in Public Administration, thus making this of little concern to me. I was always interested in going into administration at some point, not to necessarily practice as a psychologist. Plus, I knew from day 1 that if I went to Forest I would have to make my way and rely little on help from the school. While the school provides decent academics and great clinical training (our clinic is APA accredited), it suffers from internal politicking and lack of leadership. I don't mean to disparage my alma mater, but facts are facts. One must be a focused, driven, self-starter to succeed if they choose to attend Forest. Unfortunately, even some of these are looked over come internship time.

I don't understand how a non-APA acred. program survives in such a competitive speciality. Where do their students match for internship? post-doc/fellowship? They very well may receive a wonderful education, but the lack of APA-acred. is a HUGE stumbling block. Students from good programs still fight for neuro internships & post-docs/fellowships.

I don't understand how a non-APA acred. program survives in such a competitive speciality. Where do their students match for internship? post-doc/fellowship? They very well may receive a wonderful education, but the lack of APA-acred. is a HUGE stumbling block. Students from good programs still fight for neuro internships & post-docs/fellowships.

I feel the same way about people coming out of Forensic Psych PhDs....what a waste of time and money if you really want to work in forensics. They're not APA accredited, you most likely won't get an APA internship - YOU CAN'T GET BOARD CERTIFIED WITHOUT BOTH OF THOSE!!! If you can't get board certified, most people are not going to hire you to be an expert witness. I understand the *allure* of the title of the degree being Forensic Psych, but if it can't get you what you want, what is the point.

I feel the same way about people coming out of Forensic Psych PhDs....what a waste of time and money if you really want to work in forensics. They're not APA accredited, you most likely won't get an APA internship - YOU CAN'T GET BOARD CERTIFIED WITHOUT BOTH OF THOSE!!! If you can't get board certified, most people are not going to hire you to be an expert witness. I understand the *allure* of the title of the degree being Forensic Psych, but if it can't get you what you want, what is the point.

I noticed that Alliant has one of these, but I always assumed it was a purely research/academic degree. Then I heard these people have practicums and apply for internship (there was one at a BOP site I interviewd at last year for intership). I mean, they have a ph.d in clinical psych with a forensic track? What the hell is all that about? I mean, how much forensic crap could you need at the predoctoral level anyway?

Last edited:
Being placed on probation is virtually just as bad as having accreditation yanked. I go to Forest and recent internship applicants investigated whether our probation status influenced APA accredited sites decision on whether to accept our students. The results were overwhelming- it did.

Academic Year

Total Number of Students Enrolled in PsyD Program

n
2006-07 - 264
2007-08 - 262
2008-09 - 248
2009-10 - 275
2010-11 - 288

Students Who Obtained APA/CPA-Accredited Internship
n %
10 21%
12 28%
10 22%
8 20%
16 41%
9 32%
10 25%
11 34%
___

No sympathy here, programs like this are directly responsible for the internship imbalance and rightfully so should have their accreditation yanked.

Plus, I knew from day 1 that if I went to Forest I would have to make my way and rely little on help from the school. While the school provides decent academics and great clinical training (our clinic is APA accredited), .
you have an APA accredited internship and still you have a horrendous APA match rate.

It's more of a status thing, telling people you specialize in neuropsych...

A friend of mine had a hard time getting internship last year because her school was on probation. She also applied a year before that and had 7or 9 interviews. Unfortunately she did not match the first time. She ended up doing a CAPIC internship.:(

And to think I almost applied for the Alaska program (they were looking to apply for accreditation a few months ago...) and the School Psychology program at University of Northern Colorado. That must have happened very recently....

I wonder why so many schools are suddenly on that list. I do hope AK will eventually try for accreditation. I have worked up in that area before and out in the villages. There is a HUGE need for mental health services out there.

Seriously, they have to ban alcohol in Alaska because otherwise so many people commit suicide.

Seriously, they have to ban alcohol in Alaska because otherwise so many people commit suicide.

It is only banned in some villages. And a lot of those smuggle it in. In the villages they also make home brew. And the suicide rates and abuse rates are still extremely high.

Really sad. I don't think I could live in Alaska. I'm pretty far up north right now as it is and I don't even like that.

And to think I almost applied for the Alaska program (they were looking to apply for accreditation a few months ago...)

I have heard very good things about their program, particularly if you want to work with the local population and/or issues of diversity. It's too bad they aren't APA-acred because they probably would get more interested applicants.

What is the procedure for when a program gets put on probation by the APA? Does probation last one year, two years, or what? There are some rumblings about my program and I'm curious to know how long I have before I need to finish and still be all clear. I haven't been able to find information about the process.

A friend of mine had a hard time getting internship last year because her school was on probation. She also applied a year before that and had 7or 9 interviews. Unfortunately she did not match the first time. She ended up doing a CAPIC internship.:(

Wow. That's terrible. Knowing what I know now, I would do anything to avoid taking a non-APA internship. When I was a student I briefly debated doing a CAPIC internship because I was averse to going out of state, but I was quickly talked out of that by family, friends, and colleagues. Thank goodness I got over that.

Here is a list of programs voluntarily withdrawing that is listed on the APA site. I believe the Canadian programs are being removed as it seems that APA stopped accrediting Canadian programs a few years back. Some of these programs withdrawing were highly reputable programs and I am knowledgeable and know some of the psychologists working at some of these programs. Funding and the amount of paperwork required for maintaining APA accreditation is the major reason they are not involved with APA anymore. They still have internships but they are no longer APA accredited internships.

Doctoral

University of Manitoba (PhD)
Department of Psychology
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2
Canada
October 6, 1972
Withdrawn
Effective January 1, 2012

University of Ottawa (PhD)
School of Psychology
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5
Canada
November 22, 1985
Withdrawing
Effective September 1, 2012

University of Saskatchewan (Clinical PhD)
Department of Psychology
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5A5
Canada
May 18, 1990
Withdrawn
Effective September 1, 2011

Temple University (Counseling PhD)
Department of Psychological Studies in Education
Philadelphia, PA 19122
January 30, 1973
Withdrawn
Effective December 31, 2011

Internship

Albert Einstein College of Medicine—Bronx Psychiatric Center
Psychology Department
1500 Waters Place, Parker Building, 4th Floor
Bronx, NY 10461
June 14, 1985
Withdrawing

British Columbia Children's Hospital
Department of Psychology
4480 Oak Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 3V4
May 19, 1995
Withdrawn

University of California, San Diego Psychological and Counseling Services
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0304
May 23, 1986
Withdrawn
Effective August 1, 2011

Coler-Goldwater Specialty Hospital and Nursing Facility
Department of Psychiatry
Goldwater Campus
1 Main Street, Room F 1-1
Roosevelt Island, NY 10044
March 15, 2006
Withdrawing
Effective July 1, 2012

Dallas Metropolitan Consortium in Psychology
Southern Methodist University and University of Texas-Dallas
Counseling and Psychiatric Services
SMU P.O. Box 750195
Dallas, TX 75275-0195
March 23, 2004
Withdrawn

Dutchess County Department of Mental Hygiene
County of Dutchess
230 North Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
April 14, 1989
Withdrawn

The Hospital for Sick Children
Psychology Department
555 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8
August 10, 2001
Withdrawn

IWK Health Centre
(formerly listed as IWK Children's Hospital and as IWK-Grace Health Centre)
Martime Outpatient Psychiatry
5850 University Avenue
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 6R8
January 9, 1996
Withdrawn

Karen Horney Clinic
Psychology Department
329 East 62nd Street
New York, NY 10021
July 11, 1997
Withdrawing
Effective August 31, 2012

University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine
Department of Clinical Health Psychology
PZ-350, 771 Bannatyne Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 3N4
Canada
May 1, 1979
Withdrawn

Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital Consortium
Northwest Georgia Regional Hospital
705 North Division Street
Rome, GA 30165
August 17, 2001
Withdrawn

Oak Forest Hospital of Cook County
Department of Clinical Psychology
15900 South Cicero Avenue
Oak Forest, IL 60452
July 22, 1994
Withdrawn

University of Ottawa
(This program is partially affiliated with the University of Ottawa doctoral PhD program in clinical psychology.)
Centre for Psychological Services and Research
11 Marie Curie, 6th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5
October 27, 1987
Withdrawing

Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre
(formerly listed as Camp Hill Medical Centre)
Department of Psychology
Suite 4060, Abbie J. Lane Memorial Building
5909 Veterans Memorial Lane
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 2E2
Canada
October 23, 1992
Withdrawn

Saskatoon Health Region
(formerly listed as Royal University Hospital)
Royal University Hospital—Department of Clinical Health Psychology
103 Hospital Drive, Ellis Hall
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N OW8
Canada
April 12, 1994
Withdrawn
Effective August 31, 2011

Spokane Mental Health
(formerly listed as Spokane Community Mental Health Center)
131 South Division
Spokane, WA 99202
July 17, 1990
Withdrawn
Effective July 21, 2011

Ulster County Mental Health Department
Department of Psychology
239 Golden Hill Lane
Kingston, NY 12401
October 10, 1986
Withdrawing
Effective July 1, 2012

Vancouver Coastal Health Authority
(formerly listed as Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre-UBC Hospital; University Hospital-University of British Columbia Site)
c/o Vancouver General Hospital
428-2775 Heather Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 1M9
November 6, 1987
Withdrawing

Postdoctoral

University of Texas Medical Branch (Clinical Health)
Division of Rehabilitation Sciences
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, TX 77555
March 10, 2006
Withdrawn
Effective September 30, 2011

Updated 4.25.2012

Here is a link of programs applying for initial application:

http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/programs/initial-accred.aspx

University of Alaska, Anchorage is now APA accredited. I believe University of Alaska is similar to many State University systems where you can get your MS degree in psychology at multiple Universities in the system and then transfer to the PhD program. Normally it is set up this way so you don't have two or three Universities replicating each other. Similar to Med School and Law School being located at one of the State system Universities with a mechanism for those students to transfer or apply to those programs after finishing up at their University program.

Last edited:
Yes that is it, UA-F and UA-A have combined their clinical psychology programs to be a clinical-community psychology program under the University of Alaska System which has three Universities. UAF withdrew their application as they have a joint program with UAA and UAF and UAA just became APA accredited so they both did not need to be accredited seperately. The program share faculty and students may take courses over tele-video conferencing:

Program name
Program type
Degree offered
Application received
Status
University of Alaska, Anchorage / University of Alaska, Fairbanks Clinical PhD 2/2/11
Accredited,
effective
11/23/2011

Doctoral Program

The UAF-UAA Ph.D. Program in Clinical-Community Psychology is a scientist-practitioner program in clinical psychology that seeks to educate scholars and clinicians, who have strong commitments to research, evaluation, clinical practice, and community-based action, solidly grounded in the cultural contexts of all affected stakeholders. The program integrates clinical, community, and cultural psychology with a focus on rural, indigenous issues and an applied emphasis on the integration of research and practice. Through combining the spirit of clinical and community psychology, the program promotes contextually-grounded and culturally appropriate research, evaluation, prevention, clinical service, community work, and social action, relevant to individuals, groups, families, and communities. For more information please click on the following link: The UAF-UAA Ph.D. Program in Clinical-Community Psychology

Ph.D. Program in Clinical-Community Psychology

Offered Jointly by the University of Alaska Fairbanks and the University of Alaska Anchorage

image001.png
The UAF-UAA Ph.D. Program in Clinical-Community Psychology is a scientist-practitioner program in clinical psychology that seeks to educate scholars and clinicians, who have strong commitments to research, evaluation, clinical practice, and community-based action, solidly grounded in the cultural contexts of all affected stakeholders. The program integrates clinical, community, and cultural psychology with a focus on rural, indigenous issues and an applied emphasis on the integration of research and practice. Through combining the spirit of clinical and community psychology, the program promotes contextually-grounded and culturally appropriate research, evaluation, prevention, clinical service, community work, and social action, relevant to individuals, groups, families, and communities.

The Ph.D. Program in Clinical-Community Psychology with Rural, Indigenous Emphasis is a program jointly delivered and administered by the Departments of Psychology at the University of Alaska Fairbanks and the University of Alaska Anchorage. All program courses are co-taught across campuses via videoconference and all program components are delivered by faculty at both campuses. The program is designed such that the student experience is as similar as possible regardless of residence (Fairbanks or Anchorage).
The program is on the forefront of creative and enriching knowledge dissemination that is relevant to rural communities; focuses on public service, the uniqueness of rural environments; and the celebration of diversity. The program has many unique features that combine to make for a rigorous training experience that requires a student's full-time commitment. Individuals interested in additional detail about the program are encouraged to peruse the Student Handbook.
The program maintains and regularly updates a Policy and Procedure Manual. Student rights and grievance procedures are covered in detail in the Student Handbook. The program also regularly collects outcome data from students and other sources. Students are asked at the end of every academic year to fill out the Student Satisfaction and Cultural Competency Surveys and in October the Outcomes Committee collates the Student Admissions, Outcomes and Other Data. All outcomes data are used to document progress toward the Program's Outcomes Goals, Objectives, and Benchmarks and the Program's Process Benchmarks.
The program encourages active student engagement and student faculty interaction as related to program administration. This interaction is exemplified by student representation on almost all program committees.
The UAF-UAA Ph.D. Program in Clinical-Community Psychology is approved by the Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities as a doctoral degree granted by the University of Alaska Fairbanks. The program is in the process of preparing its self study in an effort to apply for accreditation as a clinical psychology program through the Commission on Accreditation of the American Psychological Association (202-336-5979; http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/). Updates about the program's progress toward seeking APA accreditation will be posted as they become available.

Last edited:
Here is a list of programs voluntarily withdrawing that is listed on the APA site. I believe the Canadian programs are being removed as it seems that APA stopped accrediting Canadian programs a few years back.

Yep, in 2008 APA stopped accepting new Canadian applications for accreditation of graduate and internship programs, though programs accredited before 2008 could apply for 7-year reaccreditation up until 2015 (http://www.cpa.ca/education/accreditation/apaaccreditationofcanadianprograms/). That is the reason for the massive number of Canadian sites leaving. CPA is supposed to be equivalent to APA, and the ASPPB have agreed, though apparently this isn't always recognized by American sites.

As an aside, does anyone know the story of why University of Manitoba was on probation? I know the university doesn't have the greatest reputation, at least according to Maclean's rankings, but this was still surprising when compared to the mostly FPSP up there.

Yep, in 2008 APA stopped accepting new Canadian applications for accreditation of graduate and internship programs, though programs accredited before 2008 could apply for 7-year reaccreditation up until 2015 (http://www.cpa.ca/education/accreditation/apaaccreditationofcanadianprograms/). That is the reason for the massive number of Canadian sites leaving. CPA is supposed to be equivalent to APA, and the ASPPB have agreed, though apparently this isn't always recognized by American sites.

As an aside, does anyone know the story of why University of Manitoba was on probation? I know the university doesn't have the greatest reputation, at least according to Maclean's rankings, but this was still surprising when compared to the mostly FPSP up there.

I wonder if the CPA accredited programs will be part of the APPIC Match after 2015. Probably won't make much difference as there are only about 20 internship sites in Canada as well as CPA accredited doctoral programs in Canada. However, it could help the shortage of internships sites if CPA accredited schools are not allowed to participate in the APPIC Match, but it most likely would be a wash as American students probably won't be allowed to apply to Canadian Internships. One of the students involved with the petition for the internship unbalance is Canadian and working on his degree at the University of Florida. I wonder what the views are in Canada about APA accredited internships and many Canadians partaking doctoral studies in the USA because of the limited numbers of programs in Canada. If there were not such a large group of Canadians in American doctoral programs it would most likely generalize to more internships and reduce the shortage of internships. Additionally it would probably increase the number of jobs in America for US citizens, since some Canadian work in the USA without ever becoming a citizen of the USA. I believe it to be somewhat hypocritical for a non USA citizen to accept a graduate program of study and receive funding from USA tax dollars to gain a degree in the USA and then to take a job in the USA but then to take a stand against APA via a petition about the shortage of internships. Something wrong here to begin a petition against APA when you should be grateful that Americans have paid for your doctoral degree.

Last edited:
One of the students involved with the petition for the internship unbalance is Canadian and working on his degree at the University of Florida.

And he's being REALLY SECRETIVE about who he is. Seriously, you could just ask me.

I wonder what the views are in Canada about APA accredited internships and many Canadians partaking doctoral studies in the USA because of the limited numbers of programs in Canada. If there were not such a large group of Canadians in American doctoral programs it would most likely generalize to more internships and reduce the shortage of internships. Additionally it would probably increase the number of jobs in America for US citizens, since some Canadian work in the USA without ever becoming a citizen of the USA. I believe it to be somewhat hypocritical for a non USA citizen to accept a graduate program of study and receive funding from USA tax dollars to gain a degree in the USA and then to take a job in the USA but then to take a stand against APA via a petition about the shortage of internships. Something wrong here to begin a petition against APA when you should be grateful that Americans have paid for your doctoral degree.

Heh. What I think is that most of this post is ridiculous, and grasping at strawmen to try to attack me personally.

Canadians enter the pool of applicants just like everyone else. Our nationality doesn't give us an advantage. Think of saying this, but applying it to Chinese, Korean, or Caribbean students; it would obviously be ethnocentric and poorly informed.