APA-Accredited vs. APA-Approved programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoRezSkyline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been brought up before - didn't find anything on it after a search of this and a couple other psych boards I've been reading - but what's the general consensus on APA-accredited vs. APA-approved schools for PsyD programs in particular? Asking as I've got a meeting with a friend-of-a-friend next week who just finished her studies for a PsyD degree from California Graduate Institute out here. I hadn't come across the school in any of my searches for local PsyD programs, and I realized why when I found out this school is apparently APA-approved but not accredited? I'm hoping she'll be able to alleviate some of my concerns when we meet next week, but seeing as how this could potentially be an investment of 4-6 years and a heap 'o debt I'd prefer to dig my hole wisely...

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So - no reply to my query thus far, which leaves me wondering if there's any difference between these two? If not, why in the world would someone pay upwards of $800+ per credit hour to go to an APA-accredited program - whereas the program at CGI I'd mentioned is $375 a credit hour?

Sorry, I know the general consensus is you get what you pay for - I'm just wondering how big of a difference that might be, and how it might affect your chances at getting jobs, licensure, etc. once you're out of an APA-approved-but-not-accredited school?

Anyone have opinions, info on this? I thank you in advance!

Since no one answered you... I will try.

I do not know if there is a difference between the terms. If I were you, I would check out:
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/
http://www.apa.org/apags/edtrain/accred.html

and just do a search on the apa website for "accreditation" and other related words. I have to say I know the apa website is sprawling with great information, but its heck to navigate and find just what you want.

list of accredited clinical psych programs
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/clinpsyal.html
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/clinpsymz.html

phd/psyd/education program accreditation is different from internship accreditation, i think.
for accredited internship programs:
http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/intern.html

hope it helps

Members don't see this ad :)
LoRezSkyline said:
Sorry if this has been brought up before - didn't find anything on it after a search of this and a couple other psych boards I've been reading - but what's the general consensus on APA-accredited vs. APA-approved schools for PsyD programs in particular? Asking as I've got a meeting with a friend-of-a-friend next week who just finished her studies for a PsyD degree from California Graduate Institute out here. I hadn't come across the school in any of my searches for local PsyD programs, and I realized why when I found out this school is apparently APA-approved but not accredited? I'm hoping she'll be able to alleviate some of my concerns when we meet next week, but seeing as how this could potentially be an investment of 4-6 years and a heap 'o debt I'd prefer to dig my hole wisely...

Thanks in advance!

I have NEVER heard of a PsyD APA-"approved" program.
I may be wrong but I believe that you would be well served to ONLY enter a PhD or PsyD APA-ACCREDITED program.
As would your friend.
Please, PLEASE, clarify this matter; I know of people who have gotten PhDs and have not gotten licensed because their program was not APA- accredited.
I don't even want to think about such a situation: 5 plus years of your life basically professionally meaningless because of misinformation/misinterpretation.
I would suggest contacting APA ASAP and finding out which PhD and PsyD programs it accredits and then applying to those.
Psychology is a hard enough field to get into, and to survive in, without the additional hardship of an unrecognized degree/program.
Peace.

I think I made a mistake in saying that the school I was speaking of (CGI) was APA-Approved. There's brief mention of that term on their continuing education page at the first link below, but that's irrelevant as I'd be going back for a PsyD degree anyway.

http://www.cgi.edu/index2.html?continuing_education.html
http://www.cgi.edu/index2.html?about.html

I know for a fact that this school's PsyD program isn't APA-Accredited - however, it doesn't really seem to be a fly-by-night institution as it's been around for 36 years, and if people were having trouble getting licensed after graduating from there I seriously doubt they'd have been around this long. My friend isn't licensed yet, but she's completing her final 1500 hrs. of internship and spoke highly of her experiences there. If there's anyone on the board that's attended CGI or knows of someone that has, I'd greatly appreciate you private-messaging me with your feedback!

I know it would be better to attend an APA-accredited program despite it being double the cost of a school like CGI - I have to explore my options though as I'm returning to school after 5 years out of university and would be funding this largely by loans and scraping by as best I can. But at the same time, I have no desire to get a degree that has little worth or might create problems getting licensed were I to move to another state. I plan to call the school, get in touch with some of their practicing graduates and contact state boards for info re: licensure - but I wanted to see what the general consensus here was as well.

Thanks much for all the feedback and links...

Contact your state licencing board for psychologists and ask them directly before you start applying. Try to find a practicing psychologist with a PsyD who has recently been licenced and ask about the process. Talk to more people than your friend as she is probably suffering from cognitive dissonance and will justify her choice given that she has invested five years ;) . APA has a list of accredited schools - start there....

Does it matter if a M.S. Clinical Psych program is accredited or not? I can't find info on any Masters program. I've applied to 2, one of which stated that the program was accredited.

I'm fairly sure that the APA only accredits doctoral programs and not masters programs.

Replies to a couple of posts:

Often, programs that are not accredited will use the term "approved" when referring to their curriculum. APA has a set of core courses that must be present in a given program when applying for accreditation (personality theory, learning & cognition, biological bases, etc.). When they use "approved" they are indicating they use APA's recommended coursework, but do not have accreditation. These are also typically the courses required for licensure, so it's still rather important to take the APA curriculum (especially if you're in a state that doesn't require an APA accredited program for licensure).

APA does not accredit or approve master's programs. The decision was made years ago that APA as an association would represent doctoral-level psychologists. They consistently fight to block master's level individuals from practicing in an attempt to maintain the integrity of the profession. Now, doing a master's degree on the way to a doctoral degree is a different story. The closest thing to approval for master's programs is to make sure the school you choose has the type of classes that could potentially be transferred into another program or be applied to licensure or certification for those states that allow that at a master's level. The absolute BEST course of action and my recommendation would be to apply to doctoral programs (even if you don't think you'll get in) and then leave after the master's if that's as far as you want to go (nearly all award a master's along the way). This route avoids losing credit transferring (friends of mine lost a year or more) if the doctoral degree is where you plan on winding up ultimately.

Hope these help!

bcdenis said:
APA does not accredit or approve master's programs. The decision was made years ago that APA as an association would represent doctoral-level psychologists. They consistently fight to block master's level individuals from practicing in an attempt to maintain the integrity of the profession.

Well, it didn't work.

It depends on the state, so check with your licensing board first. In Ca you can get licensed with a doctorate that is not APA accredited, and that is a good thing! Accreditation is a scam we have come to accept as some form of proof of quality, when it is not. I know several good psychologists who have gone to non-APA schools, who scored higher on the EPPP, and are far better clinicians in training and practice than the average. I have known quite a few grads from APA schools who are clueless. In Ca. there are many options for degree programs that will get you the same license someone who spend 800$/unit has, so check it out. :cool:

I'm down the list so no one can see this.

CGI in LA is a degree mill. Low passing rate on the state exams and more important, the students learn nil.

You can be a psychologist and know next to nothing.