APA Convention 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UhOh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone going to the APA 2009 Convention in Toronto? If so, have you made travel and accommodation arrangements yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going. First time at APA - I suspect it will be a bit too big for my taste in conferences, but time will tell.

Booked the hotel, but still sorting out my roommate situation. Haven't booked a flight yet since I'm still trying to figure out how long I'll be staying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, I'm so glad to hear that other first-timers are going as well! I'm not presenting, just attending and I signed up to be an Ambassador. Has anyone else signed up to do that or done it before?

I haven't booked a room yet because I thought I would first try to find a room mate. I don't know anyone who is going so if either you, Ollie or psyed4clinPhD, don't have anyone else already in mind for a room mate, I would certainly be happy to share a room with either of you guys. If you're interested, please PM me.

Do either of you know if there's a cheap transportation service from the airport to the hotel/hostel and convention?

I'm looking forward to it!

UhOh

I will probably have some roommates from my school, just people who are still deciding if they want to go so waiting on the details. I'll keep it in mind if things fall through. Its at one of the cheaper hotel options, though all of them were kind of expensive.

For the frugal folks, keep in mind the possibility of flying into Buffalo instead of Toronto. Last I checked it was about half the price, at least from our airport. I haven't looked into it too much, but I think you can get a bus ticket to Toronto for like $20-30. Its about 3-4 hours by bus, but if it means saving $200 of plane ticket, might be worth it.

Hey Guys,

I'm from Toronto and really disappointed that I'm going to miss the conference. I enrolled in a 2-week seminar in Denver and don't get back until Sunday Aug 9!

If you have any questions about the city, etc. feel free to ask.

Toronto Pearson International Airport is in a suburb so it'll take you 45-60 minutes to get downtown. It'll take 30 minutes if you drive (with no traffic). Taxies are $50-75 (my conservative guess).

As for transportation from the airport to Toronto, check out

ttc.ca (they have a bus that gets you to a subway station, then you can take the subway and get off at the station closest to your hotel)

Go Bus can get you downtown to UNION station--a central depot where GO, TTC buses and trains come through. From there you can walk, take the TTC (suway) or taxi to your hotel.

Below is the link for gtaa.com, which is the airport authority. It lists the links for your transportation options.

http://www.gtaa.com/en/travellers/airport_information/ground_transportatio/public_transportatio/

Psychgrad, I'm sorry that you're going to miss the convention! Thanks so much for sharing the info about transportation in the city. You are certainly a great resource for us since you live there!

TTC (ie public transit) from the airport will take forever. I strongly advise against it. if you're blowing hundreds of $ into a flight and hotel, splurge $16 and take the "airport express" shuttle. it loads up at all the terminals, and will go right downtown in 45 min. compare to hours on the TTC.

I live in TO, and have NEVER taken the ttc to the airport, and never will. airport express is the only way i've ever gotten to/from the airport.

http://www.torontoairportexpress.com/