1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

APA membership - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by hamlake, Aug 12, 2015.

1. hamlake

Resident [Any Field]
    I recently graduated from residency, so I was looking into CME through APA membership. This was the first time I paid attention to their membership dues structure. The annual fees go up every year to a max of $575/year. This does not include district branch dues which end up being $100/year for my district. http://www.psychiatry.org/join-participate/becoming-a-member

I am not working in academics and probably will not be attending or presenting at very many, if any, future APA meetings. I will have access to AJP digitally through my hospital/employer. I can get quality CME elsewhere. Right now, I don't see that membership is worth the cost. Are there any other advantages of joining that I am not taking into account? Does it really matter if you can append FAPA to your signature block?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I decided to quit this year. The dues really do get out of control.

I stayed with it for years because membership was required for membership in subspecialty groups, like AAPL.

4. MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Same here. Joined because other organizations required it. It is like your drug dealer, it starts cheap. If you quit and want back, they think you owe them all of the back pay. I think almost no one rejoins. If you enjoy participating in the organization, do it. It’s budget is mostly spent on protecting prescribing privileges. If you feel strongly about this, the money is well spent. If they got more active about the MOC thing, I would donate more.

wolfvgang22 and mgdsh like this.
  5. splik

splik Professional Cat at Large
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    although most of APAs moneys are spent on trying to defeat RxP membership dues are not spent in this way - only funds to the APA-PAC are spent on this. Which to say they want even more of your money for this.

mgdsh likes this.
  6. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's a good deal for residents, not so much later in life.

Only downside of my lapsed membership is that I no longer have a voice in my State Psychiatric Association--but I'll just let the residents speak for us on their cheap trainee memberships.

7. Shikima

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I still keep it but with them backing down on MOC, I'm not sure it's worth it any longer. I'll keep it going for now as it's a tax deduction. Additionally, they're not really fighting to have the parity law upheld and I feel we're still not being paid appropriately for what we do.

masterofmonkeys and wolfvgang22 like this.
  8. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was a member as a resident because our state association paid all/most of the fees, but I'm not so sure about joining now. As others of you have mentioned, the MOC thing is especially annoying. They were like "hey, we'll push ABPN on this" and then "oh, never mind, you can use our great products to meet ABPN requirements." Felt a bit like a self-interested sellout.

Our state organization annoyed me because they continued to back down with little notice on benefits for residents. They initially supported things like our resident retreat but stopped doing that. One of the presidents of the state association was also surprised that residents have six figure debt levels. Not much of a physician leader if you're clueless about that.

I might join initially when it's cheap and drop out later.

Shikima, heyjack70 and wolfvgang22 like this.
  9. wolfvgang22

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I let my membership lapse back when the APA failed to push for a better bill back when the Affordable Care Act was being drafted. It became clear the APA opposed universal healthcare at that time. With their failure to oppose ridiculous MOC requirements, insane fees, and the fact I get their journal for free at work anyway, I have no use for the APA at this point. I'm not going to give them money to do the opposite of what I desire for myself and my patients.

Doctor Bagel, Member 1337 and Shikima like this.
  10. st2205

st2205 Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm in the process of joining as a resident, only because you can do a free suboxone course.

wolfvgang22 likes this.
  11. MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Like I said, the first dose of opiates is free....

mgdsh and Doctor Bagel like this.
  12. ima4ltrwrd

7+ Year Member

How long is the certification for?

13. Member 1337

2+ Year Member

I'm really struggling with this... APA dues and AACAP dues come close to $1000 per year... wtf?

And, to be honest, I tend to be more involved with the interest organizations I dig, like psychodynamics and philosophy/psychiatry, than with the "official" parent organizations - and those come w/ membership fees as well, though not as extortionary.

During residency it was more of a "Pay to Play" relationship... now I'm questioning why I'm still cutting checks...

14. masterofmonkeys

masterofmonkeys Angy Old Man
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No MOC advocacy, no money. Friggin gangsters. RICO for everyone.

PistolPete, Shikima and Doctor Bagel like this.