Quantcast

APA Style question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toby jones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it is same as usual but you put 'forthcoming' instead of the date.

Have you got an APA style guide? There should be one in your library...

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
"in press" instead of date, unless you know what volume and page number it's going to be when it's printed. In that case, it's just a normal journal reference.

paramour

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an official APA style way to format the reference for an [epub ahead of print] article in your references?

"in press" instead of date, unless you know what volume and page number it's going to be when it's printed. In that case, it's just a normal journal reference.

Actually, if you're basing your reference only upon the electronic version of the article, then you should cite as a normal journal reference but add [Electronic version] after the article title name (according to "71. Internet articles based on a print source"). I wouldn't use in press unless you have the hardcopy manuscript in hand from the author(s). And, then, you may, of course, change the reference once it is in print.

Example:
LastName, F., & LastName2, F. (2008). Article title name here [Electronic version]. Journal Title, 7, 101-121.

I just broke down and ordered a style guide off Amazon. I just thought that since it's from 2001, it wouldn't have "epub" specifically but if it's handled the same as an "in press" article, then I'll just do that. Thanks!

There's an entire section on various electronic sources & how to reference them. The computer's not that new. ;)

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Actually, if you're basing your reference only upon the electronic version of the article, then you should cite as a normal journal reference but add [Electronic version] after the article title name (according to "71. Internet articles based on a print source"). I wouldn't use in press unless you have the hardcopy manuscript in hand from the author(s). And, then, you may, of course, change the reference once it is in print.

Example:
LastName, F., & LastName2, F. (2008). Article title name here [Electronic version]. Journal Title, 7, 101-121.

No one actually does that. Do you ever see "[electronic version]" in a journal publication's ref section? Did all the profs run to the library to look at a print version to get around writing "[electronic version]"? :p Even online-only journals (e.g. Psychological Methods) are referenced the same as printed journals.

Last edited: