APA Style Software

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pekoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a favorite APA style software that they would suggest for writing reports?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you mean for doing citations or for doing the whole paper- I haven't heard of any software that will format a whole paper for you. For citation management, I use EndNote. I like it a lot. It's got quite a few bugs and kinks that have driven me up the wall in the past, and I wish it were more flexible, but once you figure out how to use it and how to avoid having it crash, it can be a lifesaver. It's nice because you don't have to spend the time making up your ref list, which always takes longer than you think it will. It also does things like keeping track of whether you've cited an article previously in the paper (so it does "et al." if there are more than three authors), which is nice because that's easy to miss. It is also very helpful to have your EndNote library at hand. Mine has all the articles I've ever cited in every article I've written while in grad school, plus some more, which is quite a few articles (452) in my area of interest, so it is a lot quicker to find a citation there sometimes than looking on PsycInfo. You can download citations straight from PsycInfo onto EndNote, so you never have to type in anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
APA Style Helper asks you to enter the information you want for title, running head, text, references, etc., and then auto-formats the paper for you.

I know this is an old thread, but I just got Word 2007 and even though it's hideous, I just noticed this "References" tab with a citation and bibliography manager! Has anyone else used this yet??

Word 2007 looks like a kid threw it up...but besides that it looks interesting. I haven't worked with it much, I'm holding on to my copy or 2003 for as long as I can.

-t

:laugh: Eloquently put. Glad I'm not the only though--everyone I know seems to be rushing out to update to 2007. Of course, I was the same with the last IE upgrade, since I was forced to change while kicking & screaming the entire way.

I didn't rush to do it but I did upgrade and in general I hate it. :( It's hard to find everything from the thesaurus to the place to change your grammar settings. Plus, my classmates now yell at me because they get docs from me that chide them for not being able to "see" all the wondrous features of my document. :confused:

I didn't rush to do it but I did upgrade and in general I hate it. :( It's hard to find everything from the thesaurus to the place to change your grammar settings. Plus, my classmates now yell at me because they get docs from me that chide them for not being able to "see" all the wondrous features of my document. :confused:

Yep, we're having issues with that here. There are a handful of people who have updated to 2007 but most of us are stuck in the stone ages with 2003. We can't see their documents, whether they be in Word, PowerPoint, etc., unless you download a compatability pack on the computer being used. I have no desire to do so, so I have been working under the assumption that anything I cannot pull up with immediate ease must not be too important. :D

Yep, we're having issues with that here. There are a handful of people who have updated to 2007 but most of us are stuck in the stone ages with 2003. We can't see their documents, whether they be in Word, PowerPoint, etc., unless you download a compatability pack on the computer being used. I have no desire to do so, so I have been working under the assumption that anything I cannot pull up with immediate ease must not be too important. :D

Well that's one way to handle it! :rolleyes: I just know now to save anything I have to email as an 1997-2003 version. I just wish I'd have waited a while. I think it's also making my computer slow...it's been sluggish and I'm pretty sure it's since I upgraded.

I know this is an old thread, but I just got Word 2007 and even though it's hideous, I just noticed this "References" tab with a citation and bibliography manager! Has anyone else used this yet??

Before anyone gets their hopes up, turns out the Word 2007 citation manager is crappy. It doesn't format things properly (it's truncating my author lists wrong), it doesn't handle multiple citations within a single set of parenthesis properly, and it doesn't handle multiple citations from the same authors for the same year (e.g. Smith, 1990a; Smith, 1990b) at all, apparently. Bah. I wish OpenOffice (which I love) properly supported the comments feature of Word (which my adviser loves).