Apartment Hunting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Was just wondering how each of yall found the apartments you are currently living in near your respective medical schools?

I know the med school itself has some suggestions, but have you found any websites that are particularly useful? I've found homestore.com so far, and would be interested in any other sites you know of.

Thanks a ton!

Gleevec

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Hi all,
Was just wondering how each of yall found the apartments you are currently living in near your respective medical schools?

I know the med school itself has some suggestions, but have you found any websites that are particularly useful? I've found homestore.com so far, and would be interested in any other sites you know of.

Thanks a ton!

Gleevec
usually the city paper of a given locale is the best place to look. and you can always ask current med students where are the best deals locally around the med school campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Amy
I agree with the above posters. I also think that apartments.com is a good site.
or rent.com too.

Gleevec baby, you are WAY ahead of the game. Start thinking about this in March-ish unless you are thinking about buying a condo. For that, you might want to keep your eye open, but there are tons here in Houston.

Things you are going to want to consider in the TMC. Living somewhere with a shuttle or right on one of the free shuttle routes through Metro (red, white, or blue.)

If you want to live in The Maroneal, let me know so I can get a month of free rent for referring you. :) You get a free month too being a new resident. Its right on the blue shuttle which is NICE and several Baylor students live here.

Gleevec,

I have seen some med school student sites containing local apartment complex feedback with great info. Some startling details bubble to the surface . . .

Be wary of places like apartments.com and rent.net, as they typically list the big apt complexes that are overpriced and/or nasty.

1. Most cities have a free weekly "alternative" newspaper (i.e. the Citypaper in Baltimore, Riverfront Times in St Louis). Go through the classifieds, preferably on the day the paper comes out -- this is your best bet.

2. Pick up a copy of the local paper (or try the website) and go through the classifieds. These are usually more expensive to place, so most of the listings tend to be apartments that fester on the market for a while.

3. If you know a med student in the city where you're moving, get in touch with him/her. Most med school classes have listserv postings, and whenever people move, there's typically a listing. Ask your friend to forward you any such messages... it's nice to have a lead on a pre-screened apartment.

4. Check out the university's official (administration) newspaper - not the student paper. Landlords seeking responsible tenants will often advertise in such publications.

5. Some med schools will have off-campus housing offices with apartment listings. These will be of variable quality, and the listings will probably be old.

Good luck!
doepug

If you have a general idea of what area you'd like to live in, you could just drive around and look for FOR RENT signs. Of course, that would only help if you did it closer to when you wanted to move in.

But a lot of smaller apartment complexes and duplexes or 4 family flats, etc. don't advertise--they just put up a sign. They're usually cheaper than big complexes, also. That's how I found my apartment, which I love and is relatively close to school, in a nice neighborhood, and much cheaper than any advertised apartment I found (except for the ones in rotten areas).

i got an idea from school bulletins and a few people on sdn as to finding an apt in philly for temple, but honestly i'm not one for buying stuff without seeing it in person (partially why i don't buy much stuff online). i actually had to fly out from cali with my parents for a week so i could find a place where i'd be comfortable living. it's pretty good, but i wish i had been able to grasp that most of the students live in manayunk and roxborough -- even though they have cars and i don't. it gets kinda lonely in center city.

Gleevec (AKA Imatinib)....just gotta say I love the name, glad someone is out there fighting that abl-bcr tyrosine kinase activity! Down with CML!!

Mossjoh

Try to buy a house or condominium.

Even if you're not married yet, you can rent out the rooms to other students (medical, grad, undergrad) if you buy a house.

In many cases, you can build equity on the house on the backs of your tenants.

In my city, for example, the average monthly mortgage payment is around $500 for a 3-bedroom, 1800-2000 square foot house, while rent on a 1-bdrm, 700-1200 sq. ft. apartment may range from $450-$700.

So all you need to do is come up with the down-payment. The banks may give you favorable terms as a soon-to-be doctor.

Quit burning money on rent!