Apartments in Pitt...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brittnylee

brittnylee
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I was just in Pitt this weekend looking for apartments and I wanted to share what I found. I only really looked at 1 BRs in Shadyside because it seemed most of the grad students were staying there, and most importantly it seemed the safest. I hear a bus ride to the dental school only takes 10 minutes if that from Shadyside and most of the places I saw are right next to Walnut Street, which is a great little street with little shops, cafes, salons, restaurants and more. Hope this helps.

I applied for a place on South Highland Ave. (S. Highland Apts.) right off of 5th Ave. with Colebrook Management (412-441-2696) - very nice, big and clean, and I think they may have another 1 BR opening up soon.

Directly across the street and also on S. Highland Ave. I looked at another apt. complex, which was also very clean and nice. These are with Lobos Management (412-441-1400).

I did look at a complex on 5440 5th Ave. with Forward Mgmt. (412-687-3777) but these were much smaller, a bit run down looking on the outside, but much cheaper.

Devon Towers on Centre Ave. with NDC Real Estate Management (412-681-5401) is absolutely gorgeous. Very clean and newer, slightly more expensive of course. These were also a little closer to town - the city is practically right out front.

The Arlington with Mozart Management (412-682-7000) on the outside looked pretty nice - huge complex, but I never looked at the inside because I decided I liked S. Highland's location better, but they do have 1 BRs available.

There are a lot of old victorian homes turned into apts. in Shadyside and I know that Forbes Management (412-441-7799) deals with these. I did drive past one at 208 Lehigh Ave., but it seemed to be in a bad area in Shadyside, so I did cancel my appt.

I basically just called these management companies and told them what I was looking for and where, and made appts. to see the places when I knew I'd be there. If anyone has any questions about these places, please ask, I'd love to help as much as I can. Good Luck! 😉
 
thanks for the post, i'm starting to look for a place to live there too. which area is the university in? is it north oakland?
 
nghe.luu said:
thanks for the post, i'm starting to look for a place to live there too. which area is the university in? is it north oakland?
Hmm....I know there is a North and a South Oakland, but I am not sure - I just knew it was in Oakland, but if I had to choose, I'd say North Oakland. Will you be attending Pitt?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a first year, currently living on Lehigh, and just wanted to share that there is no bad part of Shadyside, as long as you stay south of the busway. 🙂 The University is in Central Oakland.
 
Kashew77 said:
I'm a first year, currently living on Lehigh, and just wanted to share that there is no bad part of Shadyside, as long as you stay south of the busway. 🙂 The University is in Central Oakland.
That is so nice to hear!! 🙂 I found a listing of some festivals that take place in August in Shadyside, are they fun? Do you know if there are a lot of dental students in Shadyside?
 
i'll be joining the AEGD residency program in a couple of months. the name "shadyside" scares me already! what is north of the busway? actually, what is the busway?
 
I haven't been to the festivals yet because I moved here in late August, from what I hear they are fun. North of the busway is East Liberty, from what I hear it's not a good place to live. The busway is sort of like a highway for buses, no cars allowed. There's one bus that goes through it that would take you to school, it's very quick, other buses usually go downtown. It's kind of like a subway but with buses. (Not all buses go through the busway a lot go on the normal streets) Anyways don't let the name Shadyside fool you it's a actually a really neat place to live. The neighbourhood is walking/running friendly. The people are really nice and it has two cool streets Walnut and Ellsworth where you can find some good places to eat, as well as shop. There are alot of bus routes that come through here.
 
is there a demand for wall-to-wall carpeting in pittsburgh? i've come across a lot of ads boasting this. personally, i prefer hardwood floors.

how late do the buses run at night? just trying to sort out the transportation for when i'm on call.
 
nghe.luu said:
is there a demand for wall-to-wall carpeting in pittsburgh? i've come across a lot of ads boasting this. personally, i prefer hardwood floors.

how late do the buses run at night? just trying to sort out the transportation for when i'm on call.
I met a girl at Pitt who gave me this site for bus info. www.portauthority.org - hope it helps. If you click on "Trip Planner" you can type in the intersections you plan to leave from and get to and it tells you what time the bus is coming and how long the trip will take. She said this site was pretty accurate, too.
 
Kashew77 said:
I'm a first year, currently living on Lehigh, and just wanted to share that there is no bad part of Shadyside, as long as you stay south of the busway. 🙂 The University is in Central Oakland.

I'm a Pitt alumn and lived in both South and North Oakland for 4 years. I'm going to be returning in August and was actually looking at 208 Lehigh Ave, first floor. Do you live close to there? I was wondering how the street was.. I know the busway and train tracks are pretty close. And how the place is if you have ever seen it?

To answer some other questions and some input that might help:

The campus is in Central/South Oakland, most of it is right near Fifth and Forbes Ave

Shadyside is overall a really nice area, like Kashew mentioned good for running through, places to socialize on Walnut St. and a lot of trees.

The buses in Pittsburgh run pretty late, some until 2 am or later. And you can pretty much go anywhere around the city or local neighborhoods by bus, although they were cutting some of the routes when I left last year. Very easy to get around Oakland by bus and is better than driving into campus and looking for parking.

Schenley Park is right by the campus too and is a great spot for picnics, running trails, or going on a walk. Phipps Conservatory is there and is worth checking out.

Two of my favorite places to eat there are ones less heard of:
Ba Ba D's- right on Forbes across from the gas station, great Syrian food!
The Elbow Room- on Ellsworth Ave, American food.. good burgers, desserts and atmosphere!
 
The street itself is really nice and quiet but I am not sure about the apartment that you are looking at....apartments tend to vary with the company or person that is renting them out. Best bet is to come here and look at it before you make any final decisions.
 
Hello All
I will be attending the dental school in fall, and I have a question regarding the housing.
what do you think about Bloomfield area? Is it safe and clean?
also what about Friendship?

Thanks for your help