OP
M

migraine12

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
migraine12 said:
What is the difference and which is better?
and for those of u in residency where are u and which one are u taking?

EM Junkie

SDN Donor
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Excellent question! I just assumed APLS was the new name for PALS until I read your question. The following website offers an excellent explanation of the differences though:

http://www.upstate.edu/emergency/medstar/apls_pals_comparison.pdf

And straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.aplsonline.com/palsdif.cfm?opensection=3

In short, it appears the APLS is geared towards Emergency Physicians specifically, while PALS is more towards other specialties, paramedics, etc. On a side note, we took a BDLS course (Basic Disaster Life Support)yesterday. It was somewhat helpful, although a very long day....

And to answer the OP's other question: UT Houston takes APLS.

Hawkeye Kid

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
We do APLS at Indiana. More accurately, we're in the process of doing it now. I had the same question until today when it was explained to us. Apparently ACEP and the AAP have taken the stance that the only people qualified to care for critically ill children are EPs and critical care peds folks, so they developed their own, "more etiology-based" program. I guess an analogy would be ACLS vs what you learn/do in EM and CC training.

swaamedic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2002
Phoenix
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
At Texas Tech we do APLS too, along w/ all the other required cert courses...acls, instructor, atls..etc...

Hawkeye Kid said:
We do APLS at Indiana. More accurately, we're in the process of doing it now. I had the same question until today when it was explained to us. Apparently ACEP and the AAP have taken the stance that the only people qualified to care for critically ill children are EPs and critical care peds folks, so they developed their own, "more etiology-based" program. I guess an analogy would be ACLS vs what you learn/do in EM and CC training.