Apology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

irlandesa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I haven't even read the responses to my post on FMG's lately, but judging by some of the initial responses, I did offend some people. I do apologize, and I think that I was out of line and made some sterotypes I shouldn't have. I think I just have a lot of fears regarding the whole app. process, and when I really look at it, I'm scared that I will not be accepted and treated respectfully if I end up at a program with a lot of FMG's and DO's (which is quite likely). I have just heard too many horror stories about male FMG's (not so much from Europe) mistreating female residents and expecting them to be subordinate to them. I also get the impression on here that many DO students don't like their MD colleagues-to-be very much, and I can't say I blame them (I don't like mine very much either right now, for what it's worth). Anyway, I do apologize for writing out of my @$$, and look forward to working with anyone who manages to treat their patients and colleagues with a shred of respect. peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Relax. Its only your SDN mind that is allowing your thinking to believe that DO's have something against MD's. You'll fulfill your dreams and become that altruistic compassionate selfless physician that you always aspired to be as a child.

You can even do it at a program with FMG's and DO's in it. Well, maybe not.

Don't know about the FMGs, but maybe, just maybe, you might actually LEARN something from your DO colleagues if you are nice to them. Maybe a little OMT for a patient with back pain, or a different way of approaching a problem.

True about the SDN thing, Vent.

And who exactly are you wanting to be "accepted" by? The medical community? The same medical community that is composed of MDs, DOs, and FMGs?

Hmmm.

Fortunately, we are no longer in 7th grade, and as adult physicians, how you do your job says a lot more about you than the name of your residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
irlandesa said:
I think I just have a lot of fears regarding the whole app. process, and when I really look at it, I'm scared that I will not be accepted and treated respectfully if I end up at a program with a lot of FMG's and DO's (which is quite likely). I have just heard too many horror stories about male FMG's (not so much from Europe) mistreating female residents and expecting them to be subordinate to them.

Good grief. I've always stayed clear of the USMG-IMG wars because there is all too often very little of substance in the posts, even when some otherwise sensible people contribute to the thread. Too much emotion and prejudice.

I have to say though this is the first time I've heard about this. My immediate (and possibly mistaken) reaction is that we're seeing xenophobia reach new highs here. Add that to the fact that this seems to be directed at a few racial groups in particular (non-European, probably non-US-IMGs), and one gets the sick feeling that we're now adding ethnic prejudices to the IMG powder keg.

However, I have no first hand (or even second or third hand) knowledge of these horror stories at my institution (few, if any, IMGs). Have there been specific instances where this has happened?

I take it you must be applying during the upcoming 2004-5 cycle. If you really believe this is true, why not simply apply widely, and only accept interviews at programs that would fit, where your views on things like this are concerned? I'm sure there are heaps of IM programs that do not accept IMGs, but that should not be too difficult for not-too-strong US candidates to enter.

Good luck. :)

It?s a very typical for Americans to put everyone else in the same bag. You talk about FMG?s, in general, as if they were all the same. You assume things about their attitude towards colleagues, towards women, about the quality of their medical education etc. Americans are known to have a very limited understanding of other cultures, but I really don?t think it?s hard to understand that you cannot talk about `foreigners`as one single group. I see people talking about FMG?s as if they were inferior to USMG, begging for a left over position in some crappy residency program. Don?t forget the fact that a significant proportion of FMG?s are not American citizens that could not get a position in any medical school in the US. Instead, they often times have had great medical training, and they are the very best in their country.
If you knew anything about other countries in the western world, you?d know that they?re very accepting and friendly, even more so than in the US. And no, women are not submissive anymore in any western country. The middle age is long gone if nobody told you that.
Sorry for the sarcasm, but you gave me reasons for that.
I have all the reasons in the world to love the United States, and I do. Your country gave me all the opportunities I could possibly ask for. The only curse that I?ve had to face was this stupid, senseless xenophobia that seems to plague some people?s minds when there?s absolutely no reasons for it. Fortunately, only a minority of people show this type of attitude, and I will be happy to ignore them.
Best of luck, and keep your mind open to the rest of the world.

Reasons why I don't like FMGs or FOBS:

They smell.
All they talk about is money and getting rich.
They have no people skills.
They think they can hit on any girl and succeed.

nimboo said:
Reasons why I don't like FMGs or FOBS:

They smell.
All they talk about is money and getting rich.
They have no people skills.
They think they can hit on any girl and succeed.

WOW!!! Are you sure these aren't descriptors of a narrow-minded, stereo-typing bigot? What part of medicine are you hoping to hide in so as you might not come in contact with these patients and colleauges you find so below you?

From Nimboo's post: "Ok so like, I'm 25 years old, getting ready to graduate from medical school. Everything should be peachy kean right? WRONG!
I'm getting heat from my parents about not getting married. It's not really my fault that I can't find "the right guy." Hell I can't find any guy! Either the hot guys aren't interested in smart women or i'm not interested in dorky guys.
are other women feeling the same way i am? i'm afraid i'm going to be single for the rest of my life."

Judging by this and your other posts you are 25, single, indian chick who thinks that FMGs are smelly... You are either in serious denial about your own kind or plain not very bright!

Attractive intellegent men don't enjoy the company of arrogant self-touting women. Especially when you throw in the physician factor, which just intensifies the whole situation. These are reasons why I have never persued a romantic relationship with another physician (there are an abundance of insecure concieted folks in this field). Perhaps I would consider a PM&R doc or anesthesiologist (a little biased here).

That being said its just a personal thing. Relationships between hospital employees should always be professional regardless of the existing social climate. I don't care how cocky someone is. I will always play the game, get the work done, and commiserate with "normal" friends outside of work.

Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.